Kraft Peanut Butter containers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Justcameron
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Kraft Peanut Butter containers

Post by Justcameron » 10 April 08 3:18 am

I've seen a large number of fruit containers used for caches (I even use one for one of my own hides.) The problem with them is that the top is not quite wide enough to accomodate what seems to be the "standard" notepad size. And every time you bend the notepad and zip lock bag to get it through, it deteriorates a bit.

So I was casting my eye over the pantry in the way that only geocachers do (ever walked down an aisle in the supermarket looking at the products to see which ones would make good cache containers?) and the Kraft Peanut butter containers seem to look alright.

Picture:

Now the question is that I've never seen one of these used before for a cache so I'm guessing there must be some problem with them? Obviously they're going to be useless in a bushfire, but it seems pretty waterproof and generally durable. Maybe a bit thin? A standard notepad fits perfectly through the top!

Thoughts?

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 10 April 08 7:57 am

I do believe the issue with Peanut Butter containers is that it is virtually impossible to get the trace peanut odors out of the container, so little critters of all sorts will also go 'geocaching' to seek out that very strong smelling tasty treat. This unfortunately will lead to holes in the thinnish plastic, and a most likely destroyed geocache.

-Edit - I just thought of something else, quite a few people these days seem to have bad reactions to even trace amounts of peanuts.

Sorry,
Jezzza

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Kraft Peanut Butter containers

Post by GeoScrubers » 10 April 08 8:03 am

Justcameron wrote:..... The problem with them is that the top is not quite wide enough to accomodate what seems to be the "standard" notepad size. <br>And every time you bend the notepad and zip lock bag to get it through, it deteriorates a bit. ......
<p>
I have used a few of the fruit containers - what I do with the notebook is trim about 1cm off the side - <br>no more bending etc....seems to work ok without making the logbook too small

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 10 April 08 9:16 am

4U2P was my very first find and it used a Kraft peanut butter jar.

It looked very inconspicuous amongst the leaf litter and took me a while (a couple of trips :oops: ) to realise that it wasn't just 'rubbish' and I should pick it up. My daughter never found that cache even though the container was still there. Being inexperienced cachers she and I didn't consider it.

Since then that cache has been muggled a few times and the replacement containers haven't been Kraft jars.

The contents were dry when I found it and I have thought about using the same on my next hide.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 10 April 08 9:55 am

They are used unfortunately too often up here.

There's the allergen issue.

Also we have to deal with bears and other wildlife that tear caches to pieces if there is any hint of food on the container.

They also do not hold up very well to the elements. I've seen peanut butter container caches that a month after placing were beyond hope, and in need of replacement. Two weeks later, again the container was broken and needed to be repalced.

I've never found a reused food container that was not wet inside. I rarrely find ones that aren't cracked or broken in some way.

(Personally, I despise reused containers of this sort.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 10 April 08 10:13 am

How much can a Koala bear ? :lol:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 10 April 08 2:16 pm

If you're determined to use them :wink: put them through the dishwasher to get them as clean as possible, and hide them in a well sheltered spot, out of the wet, and out of the light as well, unless it's painted to protect it from UV. You might also want to consider a smear of silicon around the inside of the lid to make a better seal.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 11 April 08 4:29 pm

Dvixen wrote:They are used unfortunately too often up here.

There's the allergen issue.

Also we have to deal with bears and other wildlife that tear caches to pieces if there is any hint of food on the container.

They also do not hold up very well to the elements. I've seen peanut butter container caches that a month after placing were beyond hope, and in need of replacement. Two weeks later, again the container was broken and needed to be repalced.

I've never found a reused food container that was not wet inside. I rarrely find ones that aren't cracked or broken in some way.

(Personally, I despise reused containers of this sort.
<P>
Give me a new sistema container any day. Seals, solid UV plastic. I have had a number of these out for at least a year now that are still in fine condition. They may not be cheap, (the last lot of caches cost me over $300) but as I have a large spread on my cache placements (From Pambula to Ulldulla to Sutton Forrest to the ACT) it saves me on traveling for maintenance. Also I'd hate to be resposible for a young child visiting my cache and having an alergic reaction because I have used a second hand container...

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 11 April 08 4:46 pm

If you put them through the dish washer the caustic involved will kill all that crap and leave you with a nice container!! I have had no one have a reaction to the Full Monty and some of it's friends :wink:

team_canyonero

Post by team_canyonero » 11 April 08 10:39 pm

My afore mentioned 4U2P cache was originally an ex-peanut butter container, and I think it originally got muggled because it looked like rubbish. I swapped it to a more camo'd containter, but the council are vigilant and thorough with their clean ups. </p>
</p>
The cache for my "A long way to the top to find a rock that rolls" cache near burra is a kraft container and its still in good nick after 4 years because it never gets direct sunlight and is protected from wind and rain.</p>
</p>
I've had a few tupperware style containers that haven't lasted nearly as long.</p>
</p>
And I find that if you put them in a dishwasher on the pots and pans settings or use bleach there is no peanut smell or residue (that I can tell anyway).</p>
</p>

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 12 April 08 1:02 am

While not small enough for all locations, nothing beats an Ammo Can, and if you get a good deal* they come in at cheaper than Sistemas, more water tight, better UV resistance, don't get cracked by having rocks dropped on them, etc... :D

*5 for $22 at Brisbane Disposals. + Postage, which I'm not sure on the price of (even after ordering, dodgy site :P ) but I think it's around $10. Print that page and take it to your local Disposals and see what they can come up with! Cachers have been known to get hold of them for ~$5 so it's certainly worth trying to get more ammo tins out there, as even the best plastic container will perish after a few years, while an ammo tin will last forever :)

GRA-mon

Ammo Boxes

Post by GRA-mon » 12 April 08 9:26 pm

Ammo Boxes/Cans are fine but please do remember to paint out the wordings on the side. After reading some of the American Overkill experiences where because original printing hadnt been obliterated and replaced with Geocaching stuff, they were destroyed by Bomb squads after Eager Beaver Muggles had stumbled upon. :? :lol:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 April 08 12:43 am

Ammo tins are excellent cache containers, not that I have used any myself. Did use a mortar shell for one, but that's another story!

Problem is that they are generally medium to large size containers. You could not generally fit an ammo tin where you can fit a peanut butter jar. So that suggestion is somewhat irrelevant depending on the cache placement.

For the smaller caches the Sistemas do a good job, I don't know how they would handle long term exposure to the sun such as in the Northern Territory but they do alright in southern climes.

The ones that annoy me are where someone has just used a normal icecream tub that you know will be lucky to survive a few months, isn't waterproof or bug proof.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 13 April 08 2:18 am

richary wrote:You could not generally fit an ammo tin where you can fit a peanut butter jar. So that suggestion is somewhat irrelevant depending on the cache placement.
My understanding was that the peanut butter jar's suitability as a cache container was being discussed not because it is a small sized container, but because of its low cost (ie "free"). I was addressing more the post about Sistemas, Ammo Tins are superiour containers, and can be had for what I think is a very affordable price ($5 vs $6.50 for a 2L Sistema). I'm sorry you felt that was irrelevant.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 13 April 08 9:45 am

I am finding this topic quite interesting especially regarding the cost of different containers.

I became curious as to how much an ammo tin cost 'here' and as I live in a rural area and the nearest disposals store is in the suburbs (Noarlunga) of Adelaide I asked my friend up there to price them for me.

This is what she found:
$8.95 - 'small' Tracer Round ammo box
$11.95 - standard ammo box.

And it seems to me that this is a lot dearer than the figures being quoted by others in different parts of Oz.