Always Fish Safely!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
SamCarter
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 19 February 08 2:04 pm

Have you got a clean handkerchief?! (My mum used to always ask this as we went out the door off to school, along with "Have you got your lunch? Have you got 30c phone money" (which dates me)).

Seriously though, have you got your mobile phone and is it charged? (not useful everywhere, I know, but in more and more places)

Have you got spare batteries for the GPS?

Have you got a space blanket?

Spare bootlaces/string and a lightweight 6'x4' groundsheet are also useful.

And another useful trick is a 35mm film canister containing cotton balls that have been coated in petroleum jelly, as they can make good firelighters.

I don't always take these things, but I know there have been a couple of even low-risk caching runs where I HAVE forgotten something that was important.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 19 February 08 5:43 pm

SamCarter wrote:
And another useful trick is a 35mm film canister containing cotton balls that have been coated in petroleum jelly, as they can make good firelighters.

What an excellent idea for camping. Never heard this one before. I am going to try this out at home.
thanks

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 19 February 08 7:21 pm

I do most of my caching solo so I leave a list of caches in planed order on the bench at home where my wife will find it. As for the rest of the stuff I take what is aproperate for the area I am going into. For example If caching in the city money for coffee is high on the list and if out bush water and first aid kit rate a fairly high mention.
Happy hunting
Crisp Image

5commer3
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by 5commer3 » 19 February 08 9:22 pm

SamCarter wrote:Have you got a clean handkerchief?! (My mum used to always ask this as we went out the door off to school, along with, Have you got 30c phone money" (which dates me)).
Just 2 questions,
1 shouldn't the 30 cents be tied in the hanky with a big knot that you can't get undone when you need it ? (or was that to stop impulse buying) :shock:

2 where do you put the 30 cents, :roll:

3 where do I hire a sherpa from to carry all the extra gear, :D

Oh wait thats 3 questions :twisted:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 February 08 9:37 pm

I would also add look where you are walking instead of just following the arrow. The number of times I have almost tripped over looking at the screen instead of the rock I was about to trip over are too many to count. Also watch out for large spiderwebs! They are annoying when you walk into them.

Luckily I haven't walked over any snakes following the arrow :D

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 19 February 08 10:40 pm

Yes. I'm guilty of that last one richary. Running along on a lot of bush tracks whilst checking that I was still going in roughly the right direction have landed me within a foot of a brown snake and a red bellied black snake. Both times I was fortunate that each snake just turned and headed for the bush. So my tip, if your going to carry any item in your first aid kit, make it a compression bandage. It will most likely help save your life if bitten by a snake, and has many other uses, such as for making splints, wetting them to make a cold compress etc.

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 20 February 08 8:17 am

SamCarter wrote: And another useful trick is a 35mm film canister containing cotton balls that have been coated in petroleum jelly, as they can make good firelighters.
You are a genius. That is a cracker of an idea. I know my son Freaky Geeky ( AKA Isaac ) will impress the other cub scouts with this tip. Cheers THENANKS

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 20 February 08 10:22 am

Are you wearing clean underpants?

God help you if you're found floating face down on the lake and you didn't have on clean undies? :)

:) Sounds like our mums are the same all over.

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 20 February 08 5:41 pm

Pesky wrote
vicks vapor-rub works as well if not better,asnit has other oils emusified in the petrolium jelly. but if you're looking at costs, then straight jelly is cheaper. another good fire starter are moth balls..napthaline balls are nicely flamamble.
But naphthalene stinks worse than vicks vapor rub. I'm not sure how I rate vicks vapor rub against petroleum jelly ... I quite like the smell of vapor rub but there seems to be an associated tickly feeling on the chest!! :lol:

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Damn the torpedos

Post by If » 21 February 08 1:55 am

That's a long and involved list in the first posting :?
Definitely not suitable for a spur of the moment cache chase :lol:
My checklist usually stops after "GPSr" check :shock:
So sometimes I arrive somewhere near GZ only to find I haven't actually loaded the coords into the GPS :D
Anyone up for a hike to the Full Steam Ahead cache sometime ?
:shock:

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 21 February 08 10:58 pm

Pesky! wrote:
SamCarter wrote: And another useful trick is a 35mm film canister containing cotton balls that have been coated in petroleum jelly, as they can make good firelighters.
another good fire starter are moth balls..napthaline balls are nicely flammamble.
Your good Pesky- Do you know how many you have to catch to fill a 35 mm film canister with moth balls. :lol: