OT: Proposed mining at Arkaroola

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found

OT: Proposed mining at Arkaroola

Post by Richary » 20 January 08 10:38 am

I don't know how many of the people here have been lucky enough to visit the Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary in the the northern Flinders Ranges of South Australia. Those that have will know what a special and beautiful spot it is. Those that haven't - pencil it into your must-do list. You don't even need a 4WD if the weather is fine, though having one allows you to explore a bit further.

But I see in the adelaidenow website that exploratory mining is being undertaken at Arkaroola with a view to starting a uranium mine, much against the wishes of the Sprigg family who own it.

Information on this proposals and the action we can take to help prevent this can be found at

http://www.arkaroola.com.au/mining.php

I urge everyone who has been there and knows what a special place this is to join in.

ideology

Post by ideology » 20 January 08 12:01 pm

Awesome place - we flew the i! geocopter there last year. doug is a very friendly host and loves astronomy

If
10000 or more caches found

er um!

Post by If » 20 January 08 9:00 pm

I love the Arkaroola sancturary and have visited on numerous occasions :o
But the whole history of the place is based around mining. The ridge top tour wouldn't exist without Arkaroola's mining history :shock:
I cannot help but feel that to oppose mining there would be a bit of a contradiction :?
We had better get the place's status upgraded to National Park pronto to stop the miners digging the place up :)
Although that might strike a raw nerve with the Spriggs :shock:
An interesting conundrum to be sure. Personally I hope the status quo continues to exist and that the sanctuary remains intact as an example to the Dept of Environment and Heritage as to how to actually run a succesful wildlife refuge :D

If

Crikey!

Post by If » 20 January 08 9:28 pm

Ok! I've started sending the e'mails :D
Somebody stop me :shock:
Mr Garrett was my first recipient, blue sky mining and all that :D

Richary

Post by Richary » 20 January 08 9:53 pm

I've got 8 letters to post in the morning! Figuring that hard copy might make them think that you take it more seriously than banging out an email! (no criticisim intended!)

Yes I realise the mining history of the place and have visited the mine sites on the property. Though I suspect they were on a different scale to ripping a mountain apart to look for Uranium! If a major uranium find were to happen there they would just rip the mountain apart to put in a huge open cut mine or something.

Hardly something conducive to what the place is about!

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 21 January 08 12:20 pm

Hope they leave Uranus GCB373 alone. For those who have been to GZ, could be a cool digging spot. ?? :shock:

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 21 January 08 1:37 pm

Funnily enough, we have just started our research on this area, we are going to be visiting in 2010 and doing as much of the flinders as we can from south to north.

Sure it's a long ways off, but we have to save, research, pay off some debts first.

Really looking forward to it though. Not even looked to see if there are caches there, hmm, better go look at that I guess.

Richary

Post by Richary » 21 January 08 8:42 pm

Hi Webguy

When I did a quick tour through the Flinders over a week about 3-4 years ago I nabbed over 50 caches. So there would be a lot more there now. Some of the caches lead you to special places, gorges and lookouts that most people speed past on the way to Wilpena, Arkaroola etc.

My favourite spots are Arkaroola, and Parachilna Gorge is also a wonderful place to set up camp. Their are plenty of signs pointing out the 500 million year old rock features and so on. Wilpena I guess is a must see destination if you haven't been there but I would quite happily give the camping area a miss - it's like being in a vast caravan park especially if it is a busy time of the year, though of course with the advantages of hot showers, toilets and a shop if you have the family along. Last trip we camped outside and just went in for the day.

The Gammon Ranges are spectacular as well, personally I prefer the northern Flinders to the southern end because they are so much more rugged. If you are equipped for solo 4WDing (no tough stuff) I recommend the back way up into Arkaroola from the Copley/Leigh Creek road, thought a couple of station properties and in on the western side. That is fantastic drive with some awesome views as well.

Many of the caravan parks/camping areas like Angorachina near Parachilna will let you use the showers for a nominal fee even if you aren't staying there. When I did the trip I had yet to buy the gas powered shower system!

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 24 September 08 11:48 pm

Don't forget to try a good Quandong Pie at the Parachilna Pub or that little cafe at Blinman.

Brachina Gorge is a sensational spot to bush camp for a few days too.

We had the heat exchanger under the bonnet and had our shower with a curious kangaroo. No shower tent needed - no one else there.

Bliss.

DJ