Google Earth 4.2 - GA feed no longer has icons

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 20 January 08 10:13 pm

A couple of related questions.
Mystery/ puzzle caches show up on GC.com with the question mark icon beside the name indicating the correct type, but are labeled unknown at the very top of the page. Any ideas why?
And following on, as most of the 'unknown' caches in Google Earth are actually puzzle/ mystery caches perhaps a more appropriate icon could be a question mark type thing? Is that possible or should I just get used to it.

Kev

Ps
The new icons are a big improvement.

Justcameron
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Justcameron » 20 January 08 10:15 pm

"unknown" is a another word for "puzzle/mystery"

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 January 08 11:16 pm

KevL wrote:A couple of related questions.
Mystery/ puzzle caches show up on GC.com with the question mark icon beside the name indicating the correct type, but are labeled unknown at the very top of the page. Any ideas why?
And following on, as most of the 'unknown' caches in Google Earth are actually puzzle/ mystery caches perhaps a more appropriate icon could be a question mark type thing? Is that possible or should I just get used to it.

Kev

Ps
The new icons are a big improvement.
They are unknown because they are a Puzzle or Mystery, hence the question mark on gc.com - it signifies unknown. The copyright on gc.com icons is owned by gc.com and we don't have permission to use them.

The current icons are hosted at maps.google.com as google have moved them there with the later Google Earth release. The idea being that Google maps can read kml files and have the some icons, however the icons render differently when accessed from Google Earth. The traditional icon looks like
Image when directly accessed. A bit different to the icon displayed when the same URI is accessed from Google Earth.

I didn't find a question mark amongst the icons there so the exclamation mark on red is what you get for the time being.

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 20 January 08 11:22 pm

riblit wrote:I didn't find a question mark amongst the icons there so the exclamation mark on red is what you get for the time being.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 January 08 10:03 am

Justcameron wrote:
riblit wrote:I didn't find a question mark amongst the icons there so the exclamation mark on red is what you get for the time being.
I didn't look under shapes but that looks a bit too big. I still haven't found a full list of what is available. Do you know of one?

Justcameron

Post by Justcameron » 21 January 08 12:38 pm

I used the picker in Google Earth. Right click on a placemark, select properties, then click the icon in the top right corner.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 January 08 1:12 pm

Justcameron wrote:I used the picker in Google Earth. Right click on a placemark, select properties, then click the icon in the top right corner.
Thanks, I checked that one, it doesn't play nice with the code as currently written.