Pocket Pocket Query: paperless geocaching for mobile phones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
sentience

Post by sentience » 05 January 08 3:59 pm

zactyl wrote:Text doesn't input as expected, looks like it's on predictive text (highlighted text) but isn't. No indication of the phones input mode. Can't seem to do capitals except following a full stop.
Installed over the top of the last version and it ran without issue, but * still gives me a full stop. Also turns on CAPITALS!
Believe it or not, it was all working correctly. The * key is for inputting punctuation, and the application automatically inserts a capital letter after a full stop. The way to switch input modes (abc -> Abc -> ABC -> 123) on Nokia phones is to press the # key.

This should all be much clearer in PPQuery 0.5.8 (now available), because text fields that support multiple input modes will now display a little input mode indicator that tells you which mode you are in.

Feedback welcome!

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 06 January 08 1:05 am

The text indicator mode works great on my Nokia N95! I can do capitals and full stops without getting confused now... :D
The Smooth Scrolling text on the Settings Screen is also behaving itself :)
Couldn't work out what was added in .9
Looking good! :)

The "Here are some pointers" link to http://ppquery.com/install on the file download page doesn't seem to go where it should. (was trying to find out if I should be doing something with that .jad file... :oops: )

I put a .gpx file on my mobile and using its browser I went to ppquery.com and was able to download and install PPQ! :D The site wasn't optimal for a phone screen, thought it might be something to consider when you redesign the website! :)
Last edited by zactyl on 06 January 08 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

allrounder
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 06 January 08 2:07 am

sentience wrote:
allrounder wrote:Any news on the addition of the Nokia 6110 Navigator?
Thanks for the reminder! I've now added this device.
<p>Thanks Kev, will test ASAP.

sentience

Post by sentience » 06 January 08 9:54 am

zactyl wrote:Couldn't work out what was added in .9
In 0.5.8, I removed a bunch of text editing softkey commands (Clear, Backspace) that are provided by the dedicated 'C' key on most phones. This got rid of a fair bit of clutter from the program, but devices without a 'C' key were in trouble. 0.5.9 added back those commands on devices without a 'C' key only. So for your device, the only difference between .8 and .9 is the version number. :)

sentience

Post by sentience » 07 January 08 10:45 am

Hi Swampy,
Swampy wrote:I found today with the multi assist that I can't enter the number '0' as a value by itself or as part of a larger number eg. 100. It only shows as 1.
Huge thanks for reporting this issue! It turns out it's caused by a recently-introduced bug in the user interface library that PPQuery uses.

This bug, which affected most Motorola phones, not only prevented typing the digit '0' in all numerical fields, but it also prevented switching other text fields into numerical input mode (with the '#' key).

I've fixed this bug in PPQuery 0.5.10 (now available), and have reported it to the authors of the user interface library. They have already replied to express their thanks.

Thanks again!

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 07 January 08 12:59 pm

sentience wrote:Hi Swampy,
Huge thanks for reporting this issue!
No, thank you for chasing up and fixing the problem. I will now download my file out of GSAK and update my phone.

Keep up the good work!! :D

Postscript: I've just tried it and now once in Multi Assist (it does take '0' now), I can't get out of it unless I use the hang-up button to get to the suspend, resume, end page. Also the search for cache by name entry screen where you enter the name has a problem when you first go into it - it is hidden behind the search and cancel buttons.. If you cursor down to search or cancel then cursor up the field becomes visible.

sentience

Post by sentience » 07 January 08 1:51 pm

Swampy wrote:Postscript: I've just tried it and now once in Multi Assist (it does take '0' now), I can't get out of it unless I use the hang-up button to get to the suspend, resume, end page.
Thanks. The application is probably running into strife while trying to save the Multi Assist data. I should have a fix tonight.
Also the search for cache by name entry screen where you enter the name has a problem when you first go into it - it is hidden behind the search and cancel buttons.. If you cursor down to search or cancel then cursor up the field becomes visible.
Yup, I'm seeing this in my Motorola emulator as well. Should be fixable - watch this space!

chedent

Post by chedent » 11 January 08 8:59 pm

My LG mobile has just been replaced with a Telstra ZTE F165 and I note it is not covered in the range of compatable phones. Is there one close enough to trial for compatability.
Regards
Col.

sentience

Post by sentience » 12 January 08 6:07 pm

Hi Col,
chedent wrote:My LG mobile has just been replaced with a Telstra ZTE F165 and I note it is not covered in the range of compatable phones. Is there one close enough to trial for compatability.
Although the Telstra site lists the ZTE/F165 as having support for Java MIDP 2.0 applications, there is no developer information available for the device that I can find.

Some of this information can be submitted automatically if you are interested in helping me to support your device. You can do this by following the instructions at http://devices.j2mepolish.org/ to submit your device profile.

chedent

Post by chedent » 14 January 08 6:33 pm

I had a go at the J2ME Polish site as you suggested but I must be on the wrong track because my computer was unable to open the test application and I am still waiting on a web service for my new mobile. Is there nothing that I can do until the phone is on an internet plan.

sentience

Post by sentience » 14 January 08 6:53 pm

chedent wrote:I had a go at the J2ME Polish site as you suggested but I must be on the wrong track because my computer was unable to open the test application and I am still waiting on a web service for my new mobile. Is there nothing that I can do until the phone is on an internet plan.
If both the phone and your computer support Bluetooth, you could try transferring the .JAR file to your phone via Bluetooth. Many mobiles support installing application to phones in this way.

But if you don't have Internet access on your phone, you won't be able to submit the results of running the program on your phone anyway, so you're probably better off waiting on that.

chedent

Post by chedent » 30 January 08 8:25 pm

I finally got connected an have now uploaded to J2ME Polish the data on the ZTE F165.
Let me know if there is any more you need me to do.

sentience

Post by sentience » 30 January 08 9:08 pm

chedent wrote:I finally got connected an have now uploaded to J2ME Polish the data on the ZTE F165.
Let me know if there is any more you need me to do.
Thanks! I've downloaded your device profile and should be able to create a build of PPQuery for your device soon.

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Motorola v3xx

Post by Fairly Magic » 18 March 08 8:51 am

Hi

I've loaded ppquery to my v3xx using the v3x version and it seems ok, but have yet to properly test it.

The only issue I had was the Motorola software wouldn't let me transfer, I had to transfer direct to the sd card.

Thanks, hopefully with the data more readily at hand some impromptu caching can/will happen.

Cheers Quilter

Swampy

Re: Motorola v3xx

Post by Swampy » 18 March 08 1:12 pm

Fairly Magic wrote:Hi

I've loaded ppquery to my v3xx using the v3x version and it seems ok, but have yet to properly test it.

The only issue I had was the Motorola software wouldn't let me transfer, I had to transfer direct to the sd card.

Thanks, hopefully with the data more readily at hand some impromptu caching can/will happen.

Cheers Quilter
PM sent