Blitz

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Just a cacher

Blitz

Post by Just a cacher » 04 April 21 10:08 am

I have thoroughly read the rules of the game, and am looking forward to playing, but I do not understand it all.

Is this a game where dragonzone clans compete with other clans, or is it a combined effort, where all clans get together and find caches?

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found

Re: Blitz

Post by sirius Tas » 04 April 21 11:44 am

As per previous reply re Blitz...what is classed as a "unique geocache"? and who decides if it is?

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 04 April 21 1:27 pm

As I understand from reading the rules, this time it doesn't appear to be clan based. Unique (if same as last time) was only find once (during the games) eg moveables.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 April 21 1:15 pm

Just a cacher wrote:
04 April 21 10:08 am
I have thoroughly read the rules of the game, and am looking forward to playing, but I do not understand it all.

Is this a game where dragonzone clans compete with other clans, or is it a combined effort, where all clans get together and find caches?
Not clan based. Everyone competes to meet the goal and the final pool of points.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 April 21 1:16 pm

sirius Tas wrote:
04 April 21 11:44 am
As per previous reply re Blitz...what is classed as a "unique geocache"? and who decides if it is?
Unique as in cannot be found more than once. This is to stop some of the less scrupulous people who will "find" a moveable cache 100 times just to get the points.

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 05 April 21 3:28 pm

Cheers...fully understand. Many thanks for clarification.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 06 April 21 8:53 pm

Thank you everyone for the clarification.

budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 14 April 21 1:48 pm

4 days into the Blitz (26% of the way through) and as a community we are 16% of the way to the goal of 2000 finds
We certainly need to pick up the pace if we are going to get the goal :shock:

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 14 April 21 2:08 pm

I'll be out GCA caching this weekend and early next week. I have lots to choose from/attempt if I can park my caravan somewhere safe. No where near as many as the ones currently in 1 and 2 position. How on earth do you find more than 50 or 70 in 3 days?

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 17 April 21 10:41 pm

We have some great geoart here in Tassie and lots of active gca cachers that have put out gca caches in the North and North West. If Tassie cachers haven't found them it is worth travelling 300 km from your home base in south tassie to find them. It works vice versa as well as Northern cachers can come south to find hides placed by the southern active gca cachers.

gooseandegg

Post by gooseandegg » 18 April 21 7:58 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
05 April 21 1:16 pm

Unique as in cannot be found more than once. This is to stop some of the less scrupulous people who will "find" a moveable cache 100 times just to get the points.
A lot of movables sit dormant for most of the year, and even get archived because admin thinks they are lost of missing, and then they suddenly appear in droves when there is a game on. I'll get shot down from all angles, but personally I think GCA would be better without movables. 8-[ GCA has so much more going for it with all the other various cache types, especially trig points, that GC don't recognize.
But yeah I know the trouble is most players have found all the local geocaches so need the movables to get some kind of find to compete in the games. If movables only counted as a find and earnt points when a MOVE was made, rather than a find, they would be treated differently (and correctly). And yes I admit I am as 'guilty' as anyone else but when they are under your nose you don't refuse, especially in this case where it helps every player. :-#

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 19 April 21 9:16 am

At home very jealous of those who can participate in this Blitz. I have no GCA unfounds within 200 K of me other than my own and I can not claim them. Enjoy and enjoy Blitzing. :( :(

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 19 April 21 10:55 am

Gee Oldfella, That's not good at all, and makes it very hard for people to contribute to the Blitz idea. We have been lucky in Tasmania that a number of GeoArt's were published recently, and those people that had not found them already (like myself) have been able to go and complete these. Although this have been long drives (250kms each way) they were worth it for the numbers of caches there.

Looking with a week to go and we are just ticking over half way, it doesnt seem we as a community will make the target. Maybe the target was a "Bridge too far" considering we only found 1400 during the last Blitz event.

I think that one thing that GC has gotten right during the Covid period is extending the game times. Look at the current "Science" challenge, they are giving people 90 days to find enough caches for the points. That's generous IMHO

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 20 April 21 3:27 am

oldfella wrote:
19 April 21 9:16 am
At home very jealous of those who can participate in this Blitz. I have no GCA unfounds within 200 K of me other than my own and I can not claim them. Enjoy and enjoy Blitzing. :( :(
I hear you. I used to be in the same predicament when I was living in Dubbo. I remember feeling pretty crappy that I either couldn't be part of a game or had to travel a long distance on my day off work just to find one trig to be part of it. I happen to be moving between jobs this week so have the opportunity to get right into this game.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 21 April 21 9:18 am

I've racked my brain (what's left of it) with little or no success, on this issue of fairness to all in games. I'm sure others have, too.

If you can think of a game with more equitable rules, or a fairer idea for a game, I am certain that Caught@work would be delighted to hear about it.

There have been lots of different games over the years, with different rules and different ideas. There have also been a lot of suggestions about making them fairer to those who live remotely.

So far, the "fairest" idea for a game I've come across is one in which locationless 'caches' count.... and that is a bit limiting for some players for other reasons (eg. if you already do locationless and have done most of them). Nothing is fair to everybody. Even Dragonzone is really unfair to those trying to play in remote areas.