Moved moveables and dZ zone points

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Moved moveables and dZ zone points

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 28 March 21 9:48 pm

I've been doing a tiny bit of travelling around in NSW over the last 4 months and have noticed that the dZ zone points don't truly reflect the real status of the zone due to moveable caches that have been picked up but not moved on for a very long time. I've been guilty of holding on to them too long myself.

Is there a way an administrator message can give people a nudge every month to remind them to move them on or something? Or is there a way to log it as picked up or just discovered and left in place like TBs can be and that picked up log then automatically removes the zone dZ point? I'm guessing no, but thought I'd ask anyway in case there can be some solution.

Just wondering because it would be nice to have true dZ zones points rather than seeing the dZ zone shouldn't be in that clans control anymore and being unable to do anything about it. I'm not talking about any zone in particular here but can give some >4 months unmoved moveable examples from my current search list in my GACacher app:
GA5710, 12566, 12769, 10400, 13546, 13350, 13375, 6116, 5595, 10787.
That's 10 false zone points within a radius of 175km.

caughtatwork

Re: Moved moveables and dZ zone points

Post by caughtatwork » 29 March 21 8:26 am

We've had this discussion many times and the simple, to the point answer is no, that can't be done.

As GPS units are essentially tied to the log types from GC, any new log type causes problems on the units themselves. The system does not know if you picked it up or not when you make your log. We also know from experience that people will NOT log a "picked up" and then a "found" followed by a "moved" and "dropped (as opposed to a move and kept). People find logging a single log too difficult so to have them forced into multiple logs is far, far to onerous.

We do have a process where an administrator can do the following:

Moveable Maintenance
Lists moveable caches which were last found more than 90 days ago and have have no log with co-ordinates since. Open the cache and check the latest logs to see where the moveable geocache may be located.
-If the geocache needs archiving, then place an archived log.
-- This will be listed as having been done by Geocaching Australia to protect your identity.

- If the geocache seems to still be in place, then place an ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW log on the geocache with a meaningful log and with the LAST KNOWN CO-ORDINATES.
-- This will be listed as having been done by Geocaching Australia to protect your identity.
-- It will also create a trigger that will suppress the geocache from the listing as there will be a log after the last find with co-ordinates.

Alas, this hasn't been actioned in a while people people either forget, have a life or don't want to any more. While we try to do the right thing we just can't keep it under control.

Thanks for your feedback though as conversations like this keep the conversation going and let's the community know we try, but can't always succeed.

Now_To_Morrow

Re: Moved moveables and dZ zone points

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 29 March 21 1:40 pm

Thank you. That was all very helpful info. Much appreciated. I also appreciate all the efforts admins do put in across the game board. =D>