Changing Clans

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Kittykatch
10000 or more caches found

Changing Clans

Post by Kittykatch » 13 January 21 6:04 pm

Is it possible to change clans?
I would like to change from Minotaur to Cerberus so that I have some mates in Canberra to cache and plan trips with.
I have thought about this for a while, and think I would get more out of the game if I could go on raids with my friends.
Please can the admin consider my request and let me know if it is possible?
Thanks, Kath

caughtatwork

Re: Changing Clans

Post by caughtatwork » 14 January 21 9:33 am

All of the ACT drago0nZones are Cerberu0 and more Certberus points makes it impossible for other clans to get a foot hold.

I will give this some serious consideration and let you know shortly. All of your previously allocated geocache points will remain with your old clan. Only new points will be allocated to geocaches under your new clan.

Bear in mind that if you are part of the greatest clan community then you will limit your ability to control a geocache or dragonZone, limiting your ability to gain points in the standard game or any future games.

Kittykatch

Post by Kittykatch » 14 January 21 4:43 pm

Thanks CAW - I will wait to hear your decision.
Regards, Kath

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 January 21 10:39 am

It's a decision based on how this would change the balance of the game, nothing to do you with personally. You are now a member of Clan Cerberus. Sorry about that :-)

Kittykatch

Post by Kittykatch » 17 January 21 7:25 am

Thanks for your help and advice

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 20 August 21 10:10 pm

This is now one of the reasons I play the game less. It's so dominated by blue. I have lost so much interest. There's now no way to compete. I was sad to see this had been allowed. I have even considered dropping the clan bit. Becoming a 'white'.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 21 August 21 8:57 am

Goldenwattle, I hear you. I often feel that the game is uneven. I think it's a matter of how closely the members of a clan are clustered in one district, and how much they work together. I remember when the blues were the fewest, and we pulled together (in Canberra at least) and made things change.

The idea of grouping together and going "on raids" is the bit that worries me most. Steve and I went to our childhood district once, and found some caches, and 'turned' a couple of zones blue. Sadly, the resident lone GA cacher had been working for a long time on making those zones a different colour, and was sad. I found out about that, and it put me right off the whole caching game for a while. I don't want to hurt people, or make them unhappy. We do enough of that in our lives by accident, without trying to do it on purpose. Caching is supposed to be fun for all.

I had thought that the dividing of us into colour groups was for a game and would come to an end, but it just seems to become more complicated and longer-lasting.

If it's allowed, I'd be happy to change to your colour, if it would make you feel less isolated. As long as you aren't green - there are already more greens than any other colour.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 22 August 21 6:01 am

Just a cacher wrote:
21 August 21 8:57 am
Steve and I went to our childhood district once, and found some caches, and 'turned' a couple of zones blue. Sadly, the resident lone GA cacher had been working for a long time on making those zones a different colour, and was sad. I found out about that, and it put me right off the whole caching game for a while. I don't want to hurt people, or make them unhappy. We do enough of that in our lives by accident, without trying to do it on purpose. Caching is supposed to be fun for all.
Gosh, I hope that wasn't me. I'm guessing it was. I'm so sorry. It wouldn't have hurt me as such because I see it as just a game. I would have been devastated for a moment though. Haha. There's not much fun in making a dragonZone one colour and not having a bit of a struggle to keep it that way. I've grown up a lot in the last 4 years since moving away from certain things out west. I was in dark place out there and geocaching helped me through it. Sorry if I said anything to upset you.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 22 August 21 10:26 am

No_Tomorrow: Nothing personal - it was just something that came to mind. It was a long time ago. I fondly remember some of the caches you put out, and we found.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 23 August 21 11:53 pm

Just a cacher wrote:
21 August 21 8:57 am
Goldenwattle, I hear you. I often feel that the game is uneven. I think it's a matter of how closely the members of a clan are clustered in one district, and how much they work together. I remember when the blues were the fewest, and we pulled together (in Canberra at least) and made things change.

The idea of grouping together and going "on raids" is the bit that worries me most. Steve and I went to our childhood district once, and found some caches, and 'turned' a couple of zones blue. Sadly, the resident lone GA cacher had been working for a long time on making those zones a different colour, and was sad. I found out about that, and it put me right off the whole caching game for a while. I don't want to hurt people, or make them unhappy. We do enough of that in our lives by accident, without trying to do it on purpose. Caching is supposed to be fun for all.

I had thought that the dividing of us into colour groups was for a game and would come to an end, but it just seems to become more complicated and longer-lasting.

If it's allowed, I'd be happy to change to your colour, if it would make you feel less isolated. As long as you aren't green - there are already more greens than any other colour.
I am Griffin, which is a good name for a cacher from Canberra. Plus it's yellow; wattle coloured? Thank you for the offer, but I wouldn't expect anyone to change. Nice offer though :) .
To make it worse here, I notice that members of Cerberus pick up the moveable caches and hold onto them to pass them around between themselves, and then hold them for weeks/months, before then (at least before Covid) moving them on elsewhere out of reach of any other locals who aren't Cerberus. Basically I am over this behaviour, and now hardly find GA caches. They can play their little exclusive game. Not making any friends here with this truth :lol:
I do occasionally cache with another Griffin, but he's not a big GA cache finder.

Perhaps the best way to have assigned clans would have been to randomly assign a clan, not allowing people to have a choice. Generated by a computer program.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 24 August 21 9:20 am

When we first signed up, we chose the clan with the fewest members. It made sense at the time. :)

Re movables: I have been guilty. We used to think it was great fun to hand them off to the next player, in a bag....until the 'players' left us out and then moved them out of state. I am sorry to think I've been part of that Canberra movable problem. I don't do it any more. However, in their defense, the people who habitually pass bags of movables between them have been doing it since long before the clans were invented. It hadn't occurred to me that they were all blues, before. (DUH!!) The last big lot I had to drop, I took out to the Tarago Road and left, one at a time, along the way. I think most are still out there.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 August 21 10:05 am

Goldenwattle wrote:
23 August 21 11:53 pm
To make it worse here, I notice that members of Cerberus pick up the moveable caches and hold onto them to pass them around between themselves, and then hold them for weeks/months, before then (at least before Covid) moving them on elsewhere out of reach of any other locals who aren't Cerberus.
List them and if they're not in the field and ready to be found then we will get them archived.
Goldenwattle wrote:
23 August 21 11:53 pm
Perhaps the best way to have assigned clans would have been to randomly assign a clan, not allowing people to have a choice. Generated by a computer program.
Then you would not be able to choose Griffin. I can't imagine taking away the choice from someone as to which clan they wanted to belong.

Members
Griffin 134 22.75%
Phoenix 178 30.22%
Cerberus 144 24.45%
Minotaur 133 22.58%

Cerberus is not the most widely populated clan. If we forced random clans on people the number of cerberus players would increase and porentially be even more unbalanced. They we would need to look at what state has what ratio. Then what locales are unbalanced.

We'll continue to allow people to choose their clan.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 August 21 11:37 am

BTW, finding and logging a geocache that your clan does NOT control gains you more dZPoints that finding and loggiong a geocacher that you clan controls. The same for a dZone. You get more dZPoints when you find a long a geocache in a zone that is not controlled by your clan than a zone which is controlled by your clan.

So even though you are not able to control caches and zones as fast, you get more personal dZPoints.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 25 August 21 2:38 am

caughtatwork wrote:
24 August 21 10:05 am
[Then you would not be able to choose Griffin.
That would not have worried me if it had been random.

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 20 September 21 1:37 pm

I totally understand this issue of one clan controlling an area purely due to number of active people in that clan.

In Tasmania, the dominant clan is Minotaur. If you look at the list of the top people in Minotaur, the top 7 are Tasmanian!!

The other clans have 2 or 3 people in them which makes it difficult to control zones. I have (Phoniex) for a short period, but it is next to impossible to hold on to them. That's all good and really doesnt bother me. What does bother me and makes the game unfair when clans are full of the majority of active people, is that they get a bonus if they find a cache in the area their clan controls. This "Zone Control Bonus" is not really that fair when there is no way you can control the zone against the number of cachers.

We dont want people creating second, third, etc accounts so they can get control, but I feel if someone was to try and game the system that is what they would do.

Can we remove the points for "Zone Control Bonus" going forward?