2020 Game of Games

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found

Re: 2020 Game of Games

Post by whitewebbs » 26 March 20 7:14 pm

I just saw that the task for April 2020 game of games have been altered which is fantastic. Time to start thinking creatively:
"Locationless Geocaching @ Home
Due to the recent COVID-19 Pandemic and the advice that restricting your movements outside your home to only essential activities, Geocaching Australia will be listing 3 special locationless geocaches to find from the confines of your home this month. The usual rules of locationless geocaches apply in that you must be at the location when your photograph is taken and that you should include co-ordinates of the location where the photograph was taken, however to protect your privacy you may list the co-ordinates in your closest park, shopping centre, the corner of your street or other close location that maintains your privacy. These special geocaches may only be logged once each and at the end of the month they will be archived as they are only intended to be used for the 2020 Game of Games. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the requirements that the locationless geocaches be found within the confines of your property and we encourage you to think laterally in the event that a challenge may not be normally achievable. Part of this challenge is to think how creative you can be in capturing the essence of the locationless geocaches while remaining at your home location. Logs that have photographic evidence that they were not taken at your home location will not be eligible for this months reward.

To qualify for this month you will need to:Find and log 3 specific locationless geocaches.
Wildlife in your backyard (2 legs) - Locationless Geocaching @ Home
Wildlife in your backyard (4 legs) - Locationless Geocaching @ Home
Wildlife in your backyard (6 legs) - Locationless Geocaching @ Home
The log date must be in the game month.
The log must be made in the game month.
Photographic evidence must be included with your log."

dragonZone Guardian

Post by dragonZone Guardian » 26 March 20 8:48 pm

Yes, as noted by the eagle eyed Whitewebbs above, we've changed the requirement for the April Game of Games due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Changes to other months will be advertised / released as required and as usual, i.e. on the 15th of the preceding month.

The Locationless cache listing page for April will be available to log from 1st April.

------------------

Locationless Geocaching @ Home
Due to the recent COVID-19 Pandemic and the advice that restricting your movements outside your home to only essential activities, Geocaching Australia will be listing 3 special locationless geocaches to find from the confines of your home this month. The usual rules of locationless geocaches apply in that you must be at the location when your photograph is taken and that you should include co-ordinates of the location where the photograph was taken, however to protect your privacy you may list the co-ordinates in your closest park, shopping centre, the corner of your street or other close location that maintains your privacy. These special geocaches may only be logged once each and at the end of the month they will be archived as they are only intended to be used for the 2020 Game of Games. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the requirements that the locationless geocaches be found within the confines of your property and we encourage you to think laterally in the event that a challenge may not be normally achievable. Part of this challenge is to think how creative you can be in capturing the essence of the locationless geocaches while remaining at your home location. Logs that have photographic evidence that they were not taken at your home location will not be eligible for this months reward.

To qualify for this month you will need to:
Find and log 3 specific locationless geocaches.

Wildlife in your backyard (2 legs) - Locationless Geocaching @ Home

Wildlife in your backyard (4 legs) - Locationless Geocaching @ Home

Wildlife in your backyard (6 legs) - Locationless Geocaching @ Home

The log date must be in the game month.

The log must be made in the game month.

Photographic evidence must be included with your log.

tadpole3
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by tadpole3 » 27 March 20 9:00 am

I am happy with this decision. I had actually cancelled my trip to SA and that virtually wiped out my chances of finding the required number of caches so soon after the guidelines were published for April I went and placed my hides. They will still be published on 1 April.
QUESTION.
For the new April guidelines. Do the animals have to alive or to fit in with the theme of the month use of imagination allowed.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 27 March 20 9:11 am

I would say yes as Quote from the guidelines for April"
"and we encourage you to think laterally in the event
that a challenge may not be normally achievable. Part of this challenge is to think how creative you can be in capturing the essence of the locationless geocaches while remaining at your home location. "

dragonZone Guardian

Post by dragonZone Guardian » 27 March 20 9:37 am

We say yes as well. :D :D

As long as it has 2, 4 and 6 legs as described in the cache listing all will be good.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 March 20 9:43 am

The only thing we do ask is to get 6 legs you don't pull 2 off a spider :-(

Natural legs are preferred (unless your cat or dog only has 2 legs for other reasons).

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 27 March 20 9:13 pm

Thanks to the DragonZone Guardian for this change. We are on the boat to Tasmania tonight and will be in home isolation for the next two weeks - plenty of time to search the garden and back yard for critters that fit the April requirements. Thank you again. =D> =D> :minotaur

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 29 March 20 2:03 pm

I just noticed the qualifiers have changed for the March games from yesterday. It appears (perhaps) if cache was archived it isn't counting? There are some names who have disappeared altogether. I picked this up as I had 3 finds (I know you only need 1 to count) against me and now only 1 and further down the list. Made me wonder if a computer glitch. If someone only had 1 and the glitch has removed them, they won't be in the draw.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 29 March 20 3:54 pm

I just had a look at mine and I attended 5 events yesterday but on the leaders ladder I only see 3. But you only need one to qualify.

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 29 March 20 6:31 pm

Yes you only need one to qualify but the first event I logged was GA14517 which had 30 teams log, a great effort. I qualified immediately as I checked (but now feel my recognised log is one that the type was "other"). Out of the 30 who logged this event, 7 are now not on the qualifier list including the CO. They were yesterday as I saw their names (Tasmanian cachers). I think something changed, yesterday the event type of virtual counted but today I think it doesn't.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 29 March 20 7:50 pm

I saw that and is the reason I only commented on the numbers, mine mainly, and not the missing names. That is for the Admins to address.

Shifter Brains
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Shifter Brains » 30 March 20 7:56 am

I have the same issue with not appearing on the qualifiers list. I attended four virtual events and all have been archived so I now do not appear on the qualifiers list at all. I did on Saturday.
Can this be rectified please.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 March 20 9:46 am

We have found in the past that people try to sneak finds through on archived geocaches in the hopes that no-one notices the false claim. As that has been the case in the past we check for a live geocache before deciding if the log qualifies.

That check has now been removed as the event owners are very quickly, and quite correctly, archiving the geocaches soon after they have been held. We will be removing the check for the remainder of the games so in the future event if a geocache is archived it still appears that they qualify.

Sorry for the minor concern and I hope y'all enjoyed the virtual events.

If you feel like holding a virtual event any time during the restrictions of movement, please feel free to do so. Please invite others and please invite people who would not normally play at GCA so they can also enjoy the event.

Our mental health counsellors are recommending that people use technology to meet and greet people in a virtual world, practice their social skills and keep their mind active by engaging with others. Run a daily or weekly trivia game on line (via an even if you like) and encourage people to join in for 5, 10, 15 minutes.

Geocaching Australia does not have restrictions on when you may hold an event, or for how long, so in this time of stress and anxiety we encourage you to join in and hold a virtual event.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 01 April 20 9:21 am

APRIL GAME.
Once one qualify s, that is has one two leg one four leg and one six leg is there anything else to do to prove that you qualify.
I just checked the leader board and I am not on it so just wondering if I have to do something else or is it just wait till the Admins do their magic.
Have a nice day and keep safe.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 April 20 10:33 am

Thanks for that. I waited until the geocache listings were published prior to updating the game to check the qualifications. You are now on the qualifier list and May / June should also now automatically calculate.