Beacon and Podcache dZ Bonus

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
dragonZone Guardian

Beacon and Podcache dZ Bonus

Post by dragonZone Guardian » 02 March 19 12:02 am

Have you hidden a Beacon Cache? How about a Podcache? If not, then read on my fellow cache hiders….

During the period Thursday 7th - Sunday 10th March we are offering a whopping 10 x dragonZone points bonus for every Podcache or Beacon cache hidden. Simply set up and hide your cache, published it on Geocaching Australia during the bonus point period and you’ll receive the 10 x bonus points. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

For more details on our Podcaches, check this link:
https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Podcache

For more details on our Beacon cache, check this link:
https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Beacon_Cache

Any other questions? Ask here and we’ll aim to answer them ASAP.

dragonZone Guardian

Re: Beacon and Podcache dZ Bonus

Post by dragonZone Guardian » 07 March 19 9:39 am

The Beacon/Podcache Bonus that starts today...

Remember, during the period Thursday 7th - Sunday 10th March we are offering a whopping 10 x dragonZone points bonus for every Podcache or Beacon cache hidden. Simply set up and hide your cache, published it on Geocaching Australia during the bonus point period and you’ll receive the 10 x bonus points. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 08 March 19 6:22 pm

I know someone will chip me for this but 10 days is really not a lot of time to publish a podcast or beacon cache. Yeah I suppose some could and will but if you want something that has a bit more quality that just being thrown together, then we are going to need more time, perhaps something like the month that we got to create an Augmented Reality cache. For me it was an enjoyable experience to create and AR cache because I had the time to put in the effort - to concoct a story and pull together and create the elements needed.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 08 March 19 9:41 pm

True - I was thinking the only way I could do it would be to set up an access point at home that when you connect has a certain splash page giving you further info on the final hiding spot. I think I have an old one here that would allow me to do that, my main ADSL router won't let me run a second SSID that would connect to a certain page. But it means I have to let people know where I live as it is a house rather than just facing out of a random window in a block of units, and any hiding spot nearby would be just thrown together. Unless in the time allowed I could concoct something that sits on my front fence or over the road and needs info from the splash page to open.

So yes I agree more notice would have been nice to allow time to plan something nice, though I applaud GCA in general for trying to encourage new placements of different types.

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 10 March 19 10:51 pm

I hid a pod cache during this time and after struggling with somewhere to host my recording eg vocoroo (used previously) then speakpipe (when vocoroo stopped) I saw we can add an audio file direct to the cache page as long as it is an mp3 file. This makes life so much easier but it needs to be promoted as I stumbled upon it by accident. It might encourge a few more hides as it made it so easy (once I found somewhere to record an mp3 file)

Kittykatch
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Kittykatch » 24 March 19 7:13 am

Like the others, I needed more time if I was going to get a Beacon or Podcache cache out. How did the challenge go - I didn't see any new ones in Canberra published??

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 24 March 19 7:47 am

Tassie had at least 9 published during the games with a variety of audio. Lots of fun!

dragonZone Guardian

Post by dragonZone Guardian » 24 March 19 1:49 pm

Please remember that you, the cache hider, can publish any of our caches at any time that suits you.

These bonus points periods we employ are simply an incentive for you to get out and have a go at hiding one or two of them. If you’re busy and can’t get started on your hide for a few days and therefore don’t get it published in the bonus period, don’t worry, you can still hide and publish it.

Yes, you will miss out on a small dragonZone bonus, however there will still be another cache in the field for others to find, and that is to the benefit of the whole caching community.