5/5 Virtual Events in States of the Nation

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
caughtatwork

5/5 Virtual Events in States of the Nation

Post by caughtatwork » 20 January 18 3:34 pm

These geocache listings are not in the spirit of the game and while they may be initially seen as funny they are impacting the ladder and those who are participating in the correct spirit.

I have retracted the listings, deleted the logs and adjusted the points. As game administrators we reserve the right to adjust the game as it progresses and this is an adjustment that is deemed necessary.

Please avoid creating geocaches in this style.

Thanks.
caughtatwork.

andrewbt
3000 or more caches found

Re: 5/5 Virtual Events in States of the Nation

Post by andrewbt » 20 January 18 7:54 pm

No concerns with that approach here. Thanks CaW

What of puzzle caches where GZ is posted in the "published" section and the distance between GZ and posted co-ords is >700km?
Last edited by andrewbt on 20 January 18 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 January 18 7:55 pm

We don't have rules that puzzles should be within x km of the initial wp

andrewbt

Post by andrewbt » 20 January 18 8:06 pm

While I appreciate this, I also think that this sets a precedent for future games (ie, if you feel you are disadvantaged, bend the spirit of the game to fit your needs), and will end up having to implement rules to ensure it doesn't happen again.

and to be clear, it's not about "winning" SoTN or the like - My motivation to call this is out is that I have all but a few puzzle caches left in the ACT, and now there's one I'm stuck with for a foreseeable amount of time \:D/

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 20 January 18 10:26 pm

An unforeseen consequence of the "bonus points" for an interstate find/hide was that it made life easier for ACT cachers (playing within the rules), who are of course much closer to a state border than people who live in other capital cities. It seems that people in some other states have decided to try and rectify the balance in their favour. I had considered multiple interstate hides that would require people to spot a road distance sign on their travels all leading back to a spot in Sydney - all placed at the various different heights available for challenges. Of course these would have been able to be solved with Streetview, but would allow multiple finders a bunch of 30 point finds without leaving their area. I decided it wasn't really in the spirit of the game.

This is one reason I have suggested that perhaps the bonus points should not be state based in future games, but maybe for finds 200km or whatever from home. Previous games have also only allowed claims on caches published prior to the game so maybe this should be looked at again, though one goal is to get more GCA caches hidden. So maybe points for hides, but those caches don't count as finds for the game.

NSW won't win, but I am enjoying the challenge of getting a few 25 point mysteries around the area I haven't bothered with before near to home, the heat beat me today after 9 with a bit of a bushwalk - I have another 13 or so I could get tomorrow. It will be equally as hot, but there should be less time out of the air conditioned car to get to them.

andrewbt

Post by andrewbt » 20 January 18 10:38 pm

I understand the motivation, and sometimes the chips fall one way, and not necessarily your way... I still don't think it excuses the fact that I solve a puzzle cache some 50km away, and discover, for no reason than "we want some points", that GZ is down in Tasmania...

And yes, the distance based approach is a good idea. I travelled well over 200km (with a couple of others) to get a bunch of caches to get my points up in the game. Heck, we even got on a ferry to collect a couple of caches :-"

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 21 January 18 10:37 am

I have visited Sydney twice, from Canberra, so it isn't just driving across the border. Once by car and a few days ago I arrived here again by a 4 plus hour train ride.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 January 18 11:24 am

I will not publicly argue the merits of specific geocaches. If the game administrators determine the claim is not within the spirit of the game it will be handled.

As far as people continuing to go beyond what would seem to be in the spirit of the game. Each breach adds a straw to the camels back and when the final straw breaks the camels back the individuals will be disqualified and banned from any future games. If the problem gets too bad then game will be abandoned and future games cancelled.

kyzabra

Post by kyzabra » 21 January 18 11:47 am

I must say I have really enjoyed this game. I dabbled in the Olympics one before but this has taken it to a new level.
Personally, I dont have a problem with the distance published to solved. I was actually looking at this as a way of publishing caches around the country, and making it clear for finders on the locality of the final, in a way to promote and create awareness for WA.But if thats considered "not in the spirit", then I may rethink it.
I like the distance idea rather than the state. And maybe it could be a sliding factor. 100km away from home, multiply *1.1, 200km *1.2, etc up to a maximum of >500km *1.5. Just a thought. And lock everyones home coords at the start of the game.
As has been said before, no matter the rules, someone will find a way to milk it.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 21 January 18 12:16 pm

andrewbt wrote:I understand the motivation, and sometimes the chips fall one way, and not necessarily your way... I still don't think it excuses the fact that I solve a puzzle cache some 50km away, and discover, for no reason than "we want some points", that GZ is down in Tasmania...
There are caches on GCA prior to the game and also on GC that fit this bill (admittedly grandfathered in). That's puzzle caching for you.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 21 January 18 12:40 pm

CraigRat wrote:
andrewbt wrote:I understand the motivation, and sometimes the chips fall one way, and not necessarily your way... I still don't think it excuses the fact that I solve a puzzle cache some 50km away, and discover, for no reason than "we want some points", that GZ is down in Tasmania...
There are caches on GCA prior to the game and also on GC that fit this bill (admittedly grandfathered in). That's puzzle caching for you.
Really? I know of plenty of multi's that do, but we, and GC, have puzzles that do that. Can't say I remember seeing one, but there you go.

andrewbt

Post by andrewbt » 21 January 18 1:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I will not publicly argue the merits of specific geocaches. If the game administrators determine the claim is not within the spirit of the game it will be handled.

As far as people continuing to go beyond what would seem to be in the spirit of the game. Each breach adds a straw to the camels back and when the final straw breaks the camels back the individuals will be disqualified and banned from any future games. If the problem gets too bad then game will be abandoned and future games cancelled.

And that's fair enough. I also apologise for any criticism that I might be indirectly aiming at GCA - that's not my intent. I've volunteered for other things over the years, and I get the frustration that comes from people complaining (i.e that's me today) - So sorry again.

I would be really bummed if the game stopped coming - I actually look forward to participating in them! (My caching motivation ebbs and flows, but I've done the last few games without fail - it's now such that my GCA finds outnumber my GC finds - so that's saying something!)

Any further issues I'll discuss privately, rather than airing here.

Richary

Post by Richary » 21 January 18 9:18 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:I have visited Sydney twice, from Canberra, so it isn't just driving across the border. Once by car and a few days ago I arrived here again by a 4 plus hour train ride.
Yes and I intended to come down to Canberra for a few days the week after New Year (we had forced leave at work), but it has been so long since I went camping I couldn't find half the stuff, plus I was feeling a bit crook anyway so I didn't end up making it. All in the spirit of the game. And I could have got some nice bonus points for terrain and elevation challenges amongst other things.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 22 January 18 12:28 am

And yes, the distance based approach is a good idea. I travelled well over 200km (with a couple of others) to get a bunch of caches to get my points up in the game. Heck, we even got on a ferry to collect a couple of caches :-"
I know exactly which cache you mean. There are actually 2 .The other is on top of Kosciuszco. I too feel this is not in the spirit of the game and is now a bane to all cachers heading to the summit. Both were deliberately placed to game the system. I have no problem with caches starting in one state and finishing in another. I've done a few of these and the wpts in between have been great showing you interesting spots but placing bogus coords in another state ...... hmmmmm......

andrewbt

Post by andrewbt » 22 January 18 8:36 am

tronador wrote:

I know exactly which cache you mean. There are actually 2 .The other is on top of Kosciuszco. I too feel this is not in the spirit of the game and is now a bane to all cachers heading to the summit. Both were deliberately placed to game the system. I have no problem with caches starting in one state and finishing in another. I've done a few of these and the wpts in between have been great showing you interesting spots but placing bogus coords in another state ...... hmmmmm......
Yep, I will be setting an NM flag with a polite request to place the coords near their breathern down south, which I suspect is the intent anyway