2017/2018 Summer Game

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Sol de Lune

2017/2018 Summer Game

Post by Sol de Lune » 16 November 17 8:46 pm

Is your state better than anyone else's?

Coming soon.

States of the Nation.

http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/gam ... fthenation

A Geocaching Australia game.

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Re: 2017/2018 Summer Game

Post by MavEtJu » 17 November 17 9:45 am

I feel sorry for the players not in NSW because they will be so lost in the dust cloud behind us...

Lazarus_68
1750 or more caches found
1750 or more caches found

Post by Lazarus_68 » 17 November 17 11:12 am

Looking forward to a comp with new focus, outside the box; rather than more moveables.
If any challenge involves elevation above 1000m then ACT, NSW & VIC may have unfair advantage?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 November 17 11:27 am

If are a sandgroper visiting any other state, then under the rule "If you claim a scavenge out of your home state (excluding locationless) then your points for that scavenge will be boosted by 50%. Go on an interstate geocache raid or go geocaching if you are travelling to boost your state scores." you are at an advantage.

Whereas if you're a cockroach or mexican raiding in the home of the sandgroper then you are at a disadvantage.

It's all perspective.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 17 November 17 2:36 pm

MavEtJu wrote:I feel sorry for the players not in NSW because they will be so lost in the dust cloud behind us...
Because NSW is one big dust bowl?? :-" :-" You will probably finish no higher than 3rd. (Insert ACT emoji here....)

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 17 November 17 2:41 pm

Lazarus_68 wrote:Looking forward to a comp with new focus, outside the box; rather than more moveables.
If any challenge involves elevation above 1000m then ACT, NSW & VIC may have unfair advantage?
If there is a challenge like this, any ACT, NSW or Vic players probably found most of them during last years game, so no advantage at all really. :idea: :idea:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 17 November 17 8:01 pm

I have 2 weeks compulsory leave over Christmas (though will be on call the first week in case anything needs configuring at work for a disaster) but might well consider 2-3 days in the ACT the week after New Year doing a raid which would count for extra points, especially if I can find some cheap camping options, it's only a touch over 3 hours drive. My stats show 68 finds in ACT (which is in no way correct, you guys must have hijacked a lot of moveables I have found at some point) - project-gc shows I have 4 finds in the ACT and I don't recall any GA finds there on the 1 worktrip I did where I found 3, the other 1 was on the border when I moved over from Adelaide 10 years ago and came through the Snowy's doing it as a tourist run along the Murray with a then girlfriend.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 17 November 17 8:33 pm

Richary wrote:I have 2 weeks compulsory leave over Christmas (though will be on call the first week in case anything needs configuring at work for a disaster) but might well consider 2-3 days in the ACT the week after New Year doing a raid which would count for extra points, especially if I can find some cheap camping options, it's only a touch over 3 hours drive. My stats show 68 finds in ACT (which is in no way correct, you guys must have hijacked a lot of moveables I have found at some point) - project-gc shows I have 4 finds in the ACT and I don't recall any GA finds there on the 1 worktrip I did where I found 3, the other 1 was on the border when I moved over from Adelaide 10 years ago and came through the Snowy's doing it as a tourist run along the Murray with a then girlfriend.
Yeah, come on down. Couple of camp grounds / caravan parks for a tent or swag. Lots of GCA caches to choose from to keep you occupied for a couple of days that would soon swell your number of ACT finds.....

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 18 November 17 9:53 pm

Sounding like fun!

Hopefully a few of my caches still waiting for FTF the last few months might finally see some love ;)

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 19 November 17 7:19 am

Sol de Lune wrote:
Richary wrote:I have 2 weeks compulsory leave over Christmas (though will be on call the first week in case anything needs configuring at work for a disaster) but might well consider 2-3 days in the ACT the week after New Year doing a raid which would count for extra points, especially if I can find some cheap camping options, it's only a touch over 3 hours drive. My stats show 68 finds in ACT (which is in no way correct, you guys must have hijacked a lot of moveables I have found at some point) - project-gc shows I have 4 finds in the ACT and I don't recall any GA finds there on the 1 worktrip I did where I found 3, the other 1 was on the border when I moved over from Adelaide 10 years ago and came through the Snowy's doing it as a tourist run along the Murray with a then girlfriend.
Yeah, come on down. Couple of camp grounds / caravan parks for a tent or swag. Lots of GCA caches to choose from to keep you occupied for a couple of days that would soon swell your number of ACT finds.....
...and wack some Griffin love on them. As much as you can. I've been saving points just for ACT caches. :twisted:
:griffin :griffin :griffin

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 19 November 17 9:14 am

...and wack some Griffin love on them. As much as you can. I've been saving points just for ACT caches. :twisted:
:griffin :griffin :griffin

Yeah yeah.....you've been saying that for years. I'll believe it when I see the logs come through..... :-# :-# :wink: :wink:

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 20 November 17 2:20 pm

caughtatwork wrote:If are a sandgroper visiting any other state, then under the rule "If you claim a scavenge out of your home state (excluding locationless) then your points for that scavenge will be boosted by 50%. Go on an interstate geocache raid or go geocaching if you are travelling to boost your state scores." you are at an advantage.

Whereas if you're a cockroach or mexican raiding in the home of the sandgroper then you are at a disadvantage.

It's all perspective.
Excited to partake in another games \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ , but I don't see how the above works. If anything WA is at the greatest disadvantage due to the tyranny of distance. Jumping the border in the East is easy and can be done quickly. It's a day trip and plenty of $$ for the West. :shock:

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 20 November 17 8:19 pm

spatialriq wrote: Excited to partake in another games \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ , but I don't see how the above works. If anything WA is at the greatest disadvantage due to the tyranny of distance. Jumping the border in the East is easy and can be done quickly. It's a day trip and plenty of $$ for the West. :shock:
As somebody who is used to end up in a different country when taking a wrong turn, the seven hours south or ten hours north to end up in a different state is still a trip to the other side of he world.

Edwin

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 21 November 17 7:10 pm

If you are visiting another state, can you hide a cache there during the games or only hide in your own state during the games?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 November 17 8:47 pm

whitewebbs wrote:If you are visiting another state, can you hide a cache there during the games or only hide in your own state during the games?
The usual etiquette of GCA applies. i.e. There is no rule we have about where you can hide a geocache, so if you're out of state and want to hide something, then ...
If you claim a scavenge out of your home state (excluding locationless) then your points for that scavenge will be boosted by 50%.
A find or a hide is still a claim.

Of course that also means you're giving that state a chance to rack up more points because there is now a new geocache out there. Hmmm. What to do?