Dragon Zone points

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
firnsy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Dragon Zone points

Post by firnsy » 05 September 16 9:54 am

caughtatwork wrote:Go! Go! Griffin Gold!
Pffffft

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 05 September 16 10:13 am

Goldenwattle wrote:Okay, I joined. Now I will see what happens.
Griffin!!!???? So, not much I'd be expecting....

:cerberus :cerberus

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 05 September 16 11:15 am

Well, I thought as I am 'Goldenwattle' that was the most apt. :D

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 05 September 16 9:55 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:
Well, I thought as I am 'Goldenwattle' that was the most apt. :D
Wattle is my favourite flower. Good choice. Especially considering your location. I think ACT would look great gold. :wink:
:griffin :griffin :griffin :griffin :griffin :griffin

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 06 September 16 11:33 am

So, I presume all I have to do is find a physical GA cache (or trig) and I gets points? Going to Wagga Wagga tomorrow. With a non cacher, but plan to do some caching.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 September 16 12:10 pm

That's correct.
When you collect points, depending on your level, you can allocate points to a cache to try and control it for your clan.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 06 September 16 7:32 pm

If/when you allocate points to a geocache, don't be turned off by not having enough points to take control of the cache - every point can help narrow the gap for the next person to build upon. It's often a team effort. Go Griffin!

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 02 February 17 10:57 pm

The Summer Series prompted me to really look into the whole DragonZone points system.

To seek clarification....

Traditional, multi, puzzle caches. Has a physical container that an owner has acquired, is safely hiding somewhere at a specific location, maintained by owner. Finder has to go and seek container. DZ points accrued.

Moveable cache. Has a physical container acquired by owner, is hiding somewhere - specific location but could be anywhere, maintained by community (no owner) because most are too far to be maintained (eg if the logbook on my weeping angel is full, its too far to go to Sydney to replace it unless I happened to be flying to Sydney).Finder has to seek container. DZ points accrued.

Trig point. No physical container, ok is 'hiding' somewhere - specific location, no maintenance. Finder has to seek trig point DZ points accrued

History caches. No physical container but effort put in to create listing, 'hiding' somewhere - specific location, maintenance required to ensure all information needed for Q&A are available (eg if a sign goes missing or something is repainted and the clue required you to note it was green and its now blue, then there would be an expectation that the cache was disabled or modified to reflect the change. Finders need to analyse site to answer questions for a find. NO DZ points accrued.

Virtual caches - no physical container but effort put in to create listing, hiding at a specific location, maintenance minimal but cache page needs to be updated to reflect any potential problems to complete challenge - eg object to be photographed removed or stairs to lookout to be climbed to complete challenge closed. Finders need to perform some sort of challenge to 'find'. NO DZ points accrued.

So why the difference when you compare trigs with say history caches?

Not referring to values of DZ points just perceived lack of possible DZ points for owner or finder for some cache types in the game.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 17 8:30 am

History caches didn't exist when the game was developed, so when they were created they were treated as a virtual type where there is no physical container to be found and logged. There is also (and this is important), nothing at GZ to HIDE. So I could go on a rampage of hiding dZ caches which were type virtual or history, nowhere near me, and gain heaps of points, control a bunch of zones all while sitting at my computer. This was not in the spirit of the game which was a game based on getting out into various zones to control and battle. A computer battle seemed rather pointless at the time.

TrigPoints were considered a separate case as even though there is no container there is still a "thing" to find at GZ. There are no hider points for a TP as they are owned by GCA so listing a new one gets a dZ player nada.

However, setting a cache type to be included is as easy as me setting a flag in the enum file. The rest of the code just "works". I am very happy for a community discussion to take place and if the consensus is that all cache types (or some of the exisiting cache types change) are included, then so be it.

The only thing I will ask in the discussion is that we make a decision based on the beneficial outcomes of the game to the wider community and we don't maneuver any outcomes for personal benefits and clan gain.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 04 February 17 5:26 pm

I agree with the current reasoning that there should be a thing attached to the cache to make it a DZ worthy one.

However, I suppose you could have a physical container for a History Cache... needing to find it to get the answer to one of the questions. :-k But then it is a multi really and no longer a hostory cache 8-[

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 05 February 17 9:46 pm

But what is the difference between finding a trig point (or remnants of one) and finding an information sign or having a good look at how a building was constructed.

Please base your reasoning on a finding trigs with a similar D/T rating as the majority of history caches. Yes I can appreciate that walking for an hour uphill through scrub to find a trig is very rewarding for some, but there are trigs with D/T ratings of 1 and 1.5 which roughly equate to the majority of the current crop of history caches.

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 05 February 17 10:35 pm

We're happy with the current situation. To find a trig point you must go there and take a photo. Many, in Tasmania, do still require a reasonable hike but yes there are quite a few drive-bys particularly the newer CORS. History caches are multiple choice and therefore easy to google or guess. There are several sites that list historical plaques so the requisite information is, in most cases easily accessible. We still prefer to visit the sites of those history caches we are not familiar with but have used photos and our knowledge of Tasmanian historical sites for history caches in places we know well rather than visiting again. Then again all is fair in love, war and geocaching.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 February 17 8:46 am

TP's need a photo. No photo, it shouldn't* be logged.
* No-one montors though.

History, just guess untill you get the right combination of answers.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 05 November 19 5:02 am

I'm not sure if this is a new thing or I've just never noticed it before, but what is 'Icon Hat' and 'Icon Facade' in the Deploy section of My dragonZone?

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 11 November 20 9:31 am

I think I found an error, or am I missing something?
Looking at the Strathfield NSW zone, the dZ count is 2 to Phoenix and 1 to Cerberus, however there is only 2 dZ caches in the zone and they both appear to be ruled by Phoenix only.

https://geocaching.com.au/zone/view/2047