dragonZone

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
User avatar
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 1749
Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: dragonZone

Post by Zalgariath » 28 April 14 5:23 pm

JABs wrote:
Zalgariath wrote:If she really wants to go revisit trigs or caches I have previously found I see no problem (as long as I dont tell her where they are [-X 8-[ :D
This made me laugh, as long as you don't tell her were a trig is? A bit hard to do with a large white triangle with a black round disk on it.
Actually I spent 20 minutes and nearly DNF'd a trig this morning! Some of the PM marker trigs are tough to find (this one was under 3 years of leaf litter!)

User avatar
blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1588
Joined: 25 February 09 1:59 pm
Location: West Ryde

Re: dragonZone

Post by blossom* » 28 April 14 6:50 pm

Zalgariath wrote:At the moment:

4/5 of the Top Players are :phoenix Clan Phoenix
The most number of caches (160) and zones (37) are controlled by :cerberus Clan Cerberus
Yet with only 80 controlled caches :minotaur Clan Minotaur hold 3 States!

Moral: Game seems pretty balanced!

(Second Moral: :griffin is Hufflepuff) :-"
I think we need to control more zones. Any good strategy I ought to be working on? I'm not so good on how to get dZone things working but I'm happy to chase a few trigs and things.

Is Meadowbank ok for moveables for you to grab?

User avatar
Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 March 13 4:21 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: dragonZone

Post by Tyreless » 28 April 14 7:30 pm

Zalgariath wrote: Actually I spent 20 minutes and nearly DNF'd a trig this morning! Some of the PM marker trigs are tough to find (this one was under 3 years of leaf litter!)
Interestingly, I had a scratch around for French trig last Thursday. Found the tree with the yellow mark and moved some leaf litter around. I decided not to DNF but give it another search this week, thinking "how likely is it that someine else will look for it in the meantime". Looks like it will be easier to find now, thanks Zal - I'm impressed that you found it. =D>

User avatar
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 1749
Joined: 17 August 09 10:44 am
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: dragonZone

Post by Zalgariath » 29 April 14 12:17 am

Tyreless wrote:
Zalgariath wrote: Actually I spent 20 minutes and nearly DNF'd a trig this morning! Some of the PM marker trigs are tough to find (this one was under 3 years of leaf litter!)
Interestingly, I had a scratch around for French trig last Thursday. Found the tree with the yellow mark and moved some leaf litter around. I decided not to DNF but give it another search this week, thinking "how likely is it that someine else will look for it in the meantime". Looks like it will be easier to find now, thanks Zal - I'm impressed that you found it. =D>
It was definitely more than a 2/2 today! But now that rating is accurate to generous as the plate is uncovered again... but dont you dare go grab it and assign it more points than I did ;)

User avatar
rogerw3
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found
Posts: 678
Joined: 26 July 09 11:11 am
Location: Lithgow, Central Tablelands, NSW

Re: dragonZone

Post by rogerw3 » 29 April 14 12:37 am

blossom* wrote:
Is Meadowbank ok for moveables for you to grab?
I don't know about Zal, but I could always get there and get those moveables back up the mountains!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found
Posts: 212
Joined: 21 August 10 9:03 am
Location: Springwood, NSW

Re: dragonZone

Post by Toriaz » 29 April 14 6:36 am

JABs wrote:
Zalgariath wrote:If she really wants to go revisit trigs or caches I have previously found I see no problem (as long as I dont tell her where they are [-X 8-[ :D
This made me laugh, as long as you don't tell her were a trig is? A bit hard to do with a large white triangle with a black round disk on it.
I've DNF'd several trigs :D . One of them was a CORS station. I knew I was having a bad day when I couldn't even find the CORS station!

User avatar
Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 March 13 4:21 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: dragonZone

Post by Tyreless » 29 April 14 9:44 am

Zalgariath wrote: It was definitely more than a 2/2 today! But now that rating is accurate to generous as the plate is uncovered again... but dont you dare go grab it and assign it more points than I did ;)
I haven't allocated any points yet. I figure at this point in the game it would be entering into the DragonZone equivalent of an arms race. It's a race I wouldn't win against the combined Phoenix arsenal.

Online
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16034
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: dragonZone

Post by caughtatwork » 29 April 14 10:11 am

Tyreless wrote:
Zalgariath wrote: It was definitely more than a 2/2 today! But now that rating is accurate to generous as the plate is uncovered again... but dont you dare go grab it and assign it more points than I did ;)
I haven't allocated any points yet. I figure at this point in the game it would be entering into the DragonZone equivalent of an arms race. It's a race I wouldn't win against the combined Phoenix arsenal.
Over time, as your rank improves, you will be able to allocate more and more points. As a Level 1 or 2 (and maybe a 3 I can't remember) you can allocate up to 10 points per cache you find over and above the standard points allocated to a find. As you move higher up in ranks, that number increases to 20, 30 and beyond. So ultimately you may be in a position where you can allocate 20 points (say) to a cache and your opposing clan members will still only be able to allocate 10 points. At that point the arms race becomes much more interesting.

I also play a tactic of finding a cache in a zone where I know there is an active opposing clan, not moving it and allocating a few more points than the "next standard find", taking control of the cache. By beating the opposing clan by just a few more points I'm hoping to drive them to despair where they have controlled a cache and I then sneak in and only just control it. Assuming they don't go find the cache again (which is only truly OK for a moveable), their area is now not under their control with a few caches taunting them. Bwahahahaha!

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 148
Joined: 07 May 11 8:22 am
Location: Melbourne, Vic

Re: dragonZone

Post by geo_jas » 01 May 14 7:33 am

Actually it looks like at level 2 you can allocate up to 14 points. :griffin :phoenix :cerberus :minotaur

Online
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16034
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: dragonZone

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 14 9:32 am

geo_jas wrote:Actually it looks like at level 2 you can allocate up to 14 points. :griffin :phoenix :cerberus :minotaur
I made a small tweak to the ability to allocate points. I felt it was a little too broad and you didn't get any real benefits until your rank reached 4 and then 9.

So now you will received 10 as the default maximum allocation, then at 2 you get 14, 3 gets you 17, 4 gets you 20, 5 gets you 22, 6 gets you 24, 7 gets you 26, 8 gets you 28 and 9 gets you 30. It continues to increase using the same ratio until level 20 (which is currently the highest rank).

This will assist in the arms race where you can "out allocate" anyone who is a lower rank than you.

I'm also currently looking at seeing if allocating points to caches you hide will be a benefit.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 148
Joined: 07 May 11 8:22 am
Location: Melbourne, Vic

Re: dragonZone

Post by geo_jas » 01 May 14 7:43 pm

Now if only I could come up with a theory as to how many points to allocate. The possibilities are giving me a headache.

Online
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16034
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: dragonZone

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 14 7:52 pm

Well, if you'd stop nicking my caches I'd tell you the secret formula :mrgreen:

User avatar
Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
Posts: 178
Joined: 03 June 12 11:09 pm
Location: Launceston

Re: dragonZone

Post by Taz » 01 May 14 8:32 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Well, if you'd stop nicking my caches I'd tell you the secret formula :mrgreen:

LOL no chance at all of THAT!! :D

I want to double check a theory, I did check the wikipage but incase I'm on the wrong track..
Once a Moveable belongs to a clan it always belongs to that clan is that correct?
Or can it be 'taken' by another clan if one of their members picks it up next time?

Just checking I'm right lol :mrgreen: :minotaur

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 148
Joined: 07 May 11 8:22 am
Location: Melbourne, Vic

Re: dragonZone

Post by geo_jas » 01 May 14 8:56 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Well, if you'd stop nicking my caches I'd tell you the secret formula :mrgreen:
I left some new ones for you. :D

I can't either use my points to take control of the caches I've just picked up or to find some others that I can control more cheaply. ](*,) I've got a week to think about it.

Online
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16034
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: dragonZone

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 14 9:28 pm

Taz wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Well, if you'd stop nicking my caches I'd tell you the secret formula :mrgreen:

LOL no chance at all of THAT!! :D

I want to double check a theory, I did check the wikipage but incase I'm on the wrong track..
Once a Moveable belongs to a clan it always belongs to that clan is that correct?
Or can it be 'taken' by another clan if one of their members picks it up next time?

Just checking I'm right lol :mrgreen: :minotaur
You can always control an active cache by getting the most points on it. That's regardless of whether it's a moveable or not. So find those moveables, allocate them some additional points if you need to control it, then move it into a zone you want to control as well. Alternatively if a moveable is controlled by another clan and it's in your way of a dragonZone, find it and move it out to a different zone. That may help, even if you can't control the cache, you can move it out of you way.

Post Reply