dragonZone

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
caughtatwork

Re: dragonZone

Post by caughtatwork » 25 April 14 1:04 pm

Taz wrote:I'm finding myself with a bit of a moral dilemma along the same lines. One of my kids who I've been trying to get 'into' Caching for years (apart from me blackmailing and bribing her to come with me) finally wants her own login and to do her own caching....... There is no way I want her in another clan but she will often be out and about with me giving our household 2 'votes' for lack of a better way to put it.
Still working this one through.... she hasn't really paid a lot of attention to this aspect of the game yet so I have time to decide what to do. :mrgreen:

:minotaur
The "two votes" is perfectly acceptable. My youngest GabGab hasn't decided whether to join. If she does and decides on the same clan as me, well, woohoo!

JABs
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 25 April 14 1:44 pm

Zalgariath wrote:If she really wants to go revisit trigs or caches I have previously found I see no problem (as long as I dont tell her where they are [-X 8-[ :D
This made me laugh, as long as you don't tell her were a trig is? A bit hard to do with a large white triangle with a black round disk on it.

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 25 April 14 2:08 pm

JABs wrote:
Zalgariath wrote:If she really wants to go revisit trigs or caches I have previously found I see no problem (as long as I dont tell her where they are [-X 8-[ :D
This made me laugh, as long as you don't tell her were a trig is? A bit hard to do with a large white triangle with a black round disk on it.
Well I don't know JABs I must introduce you to some of my scouts one day.... they can be a bit oblivious lol ](*,)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 25 April 14 6:25 pm

Friesianess and I are in exactly this position. In some cases we've previously found the cache together but I've logged it. My tactic is to drive (or walk) to the area, hand over the GPS and stand back. Chuckling when she looks in all the wrong places is optional but quite satisfying in a twisted way.
My observations to date are that, despite having found it with me in the past, she goes through just the same difficulties as if we'd never been there before, so I see no issue with her logging in her own right.
As far as the two of us logging a cache we find together, there's no difference to a group of cachers finding a cache and all members of the group logging it, despite it was actually only one pair of eyes that spotted it. It's just teamwork and we have a lot of fun.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 25 April 14 9:30 pm

Just interested - what happens if a cache is archived? I found a GCA cache last weekend giving my clan control of that zone. The cache had obviously been discovered by muggles as it was out in the open. While I put it back where it should have been there is a chance it will go missing. Does the find still count if it gets archived down the track?

On the same vein, what if someone edits the D/T or size rating on their cache? Do the original points stay the same or does they change to what the current points would be i.e. the point calculation is dynamic? Someone could easily replace a larger container with a smaller one if the cache has been muggled. And that could suddenly change who controls the zone if points are tight.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 April 14 10:07 pm

Richary wrote:Just interested - what happens if a cache is archived? I found a GCA cache last weekend giving my clan control of that zone. The cache had obviously been discovered by muggles as it was out in the open. While I put it back where it should have been there is a chance it will go missing. Does the find still count if it gets archived down the track?

On the same vein, what if someone edits the D/T or size rating on their cache? Do the original points stay the same or does they change to what the current points would be i.e. the point calculation is dynamic? Someone could easily replace a larger container with a smaller one if the cache has been muggled. And that could suddenly change who controls the zone if points are tight.
Caches continue to count dZPoints even when they're archived. Once controlled, always controlled.
dZPoints are allocated "at the time of find", so if the situation changes later, then dZPoints from that time accrue with e characteristics of the new cache.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 26 April 14 2:28 pm

caughtatwork wrote: ..................... Once controlled, always controlled.
Reading the help file saw this: 'Clans will strive to maintain or gain control of treasure that exists in a dragonZone to help sway the dragon to their own clan allegiance', which appears at odds with the above.

If Once controlled, always controlled what would be the point of other clan members finding such caches (treasures), apart from the few points one would accumulate for your clan & an increase in your overall finds?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 April 14 4:01 pm

Specifically, my comment was about archived caches. If one clan controls a cache when it's archived, then it will remain controlled forever by the clan that controlled it when it was archived. The treasure, once it has been consumed (archived) remains a memorial to the clan that controls it.

For active caches, control moves back and forth or is shared depending on the finds and points allocated.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 26 April 14 4:33 pm

That explains the amount of moveables that were suddenly archived in my area, thus preventing me from finding them and getting the points.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 April 14 5:18 pm

the Monkey King wrote:That explains the amount of moveables that were suddenly archived in my area, thus preventing me from finding them and getting the points.
I doubt that. Most of the recent archives seem to be due to caches being missing.

JABs

Post by JABs » 26 April 14 6:12 pm

Does that mean if I hide a whole lot of GCA caches and let my clan find them and once my clan have found and control them, I then archive them so no one else gets any points but my clan gets the points and retains control.

A second point what if I find a cache after it has been archived, such as a cache that is still in place?

or I am a little slow in logging and between finding and logging it was archived and I was the true last to find, Do I get the points or not?

or I am working off an old list and did not realise that it was archived? but the cache was still there to be found?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 April 14 7:04 pm

JABs wrote:Does that mean if I hide a whole lot of GCA caches and let my clan find them and once my clan have found and control them, I then archive them so no one else gets any points but my clan gets the points and retains control.

A second point what if I find a cache after it has been archived, such as a cache that is still in place?

or I am a little slow in logging and between finding and logging it was archived and I was the true last to find, Do I get the points or not?

or I am working off an old list and did not realise that it was archived? but the cache was still there to be found?
1. Yes. If you do this be prepared for a community onslaught. The software will let you do it. Whether your conscience does is another matter. Whether you get shunned by your locals caches is altogether another matter. Ask yourself this question. If there was no game in play, would you do this? Let your conscience be your guide.
2. You can log caches at any time, whether they're archived or not. A cache you log will attract dZPoints. If the cache is archived or not dZPoints and cache / zone control happens. A real, genuine archived cache shouldn't be there any more, so you're looking at an exception or a late log. My point about archived caches assumed the cache was archived and the actual container was gone. Either way, you get the points.
3. Yes, you get points.
4. Yes, you get points.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 April 14 11:06 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
blossom* wrote:A question on My Query and dZones - can we make a query that singles out caches controlled (or not controlled) by a particular clan?

ie how do I list the caches not controlled by my clan (with various other attributes) so i can capture them?
There is no query at the moment that can do this. For me, personally, I am using the MyQuery, then running my eye down the screen list to see which ones don't belong to my clan. Not the best I agree. I didn't really think about it.

I'll see if I can change the MyQuery function to allow for this. It will be a simple change (I hope) to select a clan and either Controlled or NOT Controlled.

e.g.
Phoenix Controlled
Phoenix NOT Controlled
Griffin Controlled
etc.

There won't (initially) at least be the ability to select multiple clans. Only one clan selection and a controlled or not controlled.
Thanks to blossom* My Query now has the ability to add a clan and whether or not a cache is controlled by that clan so you can better target your caches to gain control. She has been rewarded with some dragonZone points. Thanks blossom*.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 26 April 14 11:33 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Thanks to blossom* My Query now has the ability to add a clan and whether or not a cache is controlled by that clan so you can better target your caches to gain control. She has been rewarded with some dragonZone points. Thanks blossom*.
ooh, ooh, ooh!!! Thank you :phoenix :D :D :D

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 28 April 14 5:21 pm

At the moment:

4/5 of the Top Players are :phoenix Clan Phoenix
The most number of caches (160) and zones (37) are controlled by :cerberus Clan Cerberus
Yet with only 80 controlled caches :minotaur Clan Minotaur hold 3 States!

Moral: Game seems pretty balanced!

(Second Moral: :griffin is Hufflepuff) :-"