dragonZone

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found

Re: dragonZone

Post by sirius Tas » 20 June 18 3:44 pm

Hi C@W,
Been thinking long and hard re the following...

"A large bonus for finding or publishing a geocache in a zone that your clan did NOT control, but after your find or publication your clan CONTROLS.*"

So if team A controls 30 caches in a particular DZ, and team B controls 27 e.g. then team B then finds 5 more caches, then after logging the 3rd cache, wont team B then have joint control of that particular DZ?? thus any further logged finds can never fit the above criteria....ever....as joint control will always occur??? before logging the next find or hide.
I can't see how the "large bonus" could ever occur.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 June 18 4:28 pm

Clan A has 10.
Clan B has 8.
You are Clan B.
You find 1. Not yet in control (joint or solely).
You find another 1. Joint CONTROL, get the bonus.

gooseandegg
10000 or more caches found

Post by gooseandegg » 20 June 18 5:09 pm

I’ve always appreciated the great work the GCA team does. I've accept and participated in (and enjoyed most of) the games and initiatives GCA has come up with to keep interest strong and am usually the last person to make a fuss but I feel the latest ‘enhancement’ has ruined the real game. Tasmania’s West Coast has changed control 5 times over the last week or so between Cerberus and Minotaur from the comfort of home using various tools from the new DZ bag.

Previously we (family and geocaching friends) have taken holidays to find caches and strategically take control of a zone, spending up around the $1k mark for a few days away (yes the West Coast was one of these). If this ‘work’ can be undone by the press of a button, due to an opposing clan member having the correct tool (somehow randomly awarded to them), then I am not interested anymore. I know I can do the same to other clans (and have with the West Coast to take it back) but I see that as armchair caching and totally against the spirit of geocaching as a game (or hobby, sport, obsession) and dragon zone.

I have enjoyed the ‘war’ between the clans. When the other clans sent interstate raiding parties over we would watch their moves with anticipation and it inspired us to go OUT into battle to defend our region if they try and take control. Now their efforts could be wiped out without me moving away from the pc.

We all play the game the way it suits us and I respect that but I will be treating it a whole lot differently now, just finding a cache for the enjoyment of the cache. The rest of the paraphernalia is sadly now irrelevant to me. If I earn points or trophies along the way then that’s just a bonus.

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 20 June 18 5:22 pm

Hi C@W,
Now I get it....I need to be more careful in future...lol.
Many thanks
Sirius

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 20 June 18 5:38 pm

I guess the changes will benefit some more than others....certainly did for me at least.
I just see it as a game within a game and just something extra to play with.
I certainly didn't mean to cause any angst among fellow geocachers whose friendship I value way above that of dz or points.
Last edited by sirius Tas on 20 June 18 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gooseandegg

Post by gooseandegg » 20 June 18 5:52 pm

Hi Sirius

Not your fault at all. You are playing the game within the rules just as I am. I have sent you a PM to explain as such but its still sitting on the outbox. I have found your email address so I'll shoot you an email.

cheers G&E

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 20 June 18 6:03 pm

I still need to work out the new things in this game; other than just give basic points. I haven't looked at that yet. I now have a few spare points :D.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 21 June 18 1:00 am

gooseandegg wrote:I’ve always appreciated the great work the GCA team does. I've accept and participated in (and enjoyed most of) the games and initiatives GCA has come up with to keep interest strong and am usually the last person to make a fuss but I feel the latest ‘enhancement’ has ruined the real game. Tasmania’s West Coast has changed control 5 times over the last week or so between Cerberus and Minotaur from the comfort of home using various tools from the new DZ bag.

... If this ‘work’ can be undone by the press of a button, due to an opposing clan member having the correct tool (somehow randomly awarded to them), then I am not interested anymore... I see that as armchair caching and totally against the spirit of geocaching as a game (or hobby, sport, obsession) and dragon zone.

We all play the game the way it suits us and I respect that but I will be treating it a whole lot differently now, just finding a cache for the enjoyment of the cache. The rest of the paraphernalia is sadly now irrelevant to me. If I earn points or trophies along the way then that’s just a bonus.
My thoughts too. I can see that old strategies no longer work and new ones have to be thought up, but with all the work I have done being so easily undone......

I'd already half given up on dZ before this. I thought the new tools would change the circumstances that made me nearly quit dZ, but turned out they didn't help at all.

I'll still geocache. I love it and GCA.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 21 June 18 8:15 pm

Where can I read about boosters, controllers, etc and what they mean and cost? For instance, what does 1X Enhancer, etc mean and cost?

gooseandegg

Post by gooseandegg » 21 June 18 8:36 pm

Somewhat contradictory to my previews post.....

I am trying to understand why we lost about 230 dZ points since yesterday. We needed 611 points to the next level but after getting the daily 3.5 points this morning we now need 843 points to get to Supreme dragonZoner. My maths is not top notch these days, using technology to work everything out now, but even on a calculator that doesn't add up.
To quote 'support monkey doens't understand the mechanics of the game, so I can't help with point related issues'
Any clues?
thx g&e

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 21 June 18 8:44 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:Where can I read about boosters, controllers, etc and what they mean and cost? For instance, what does 1X Enhancer, etc mean and cost?
Here perhaps: https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/DragonZone

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 21 June 18 8:49 pm

Goldenwattle wrote:Where can I read about boosters, controllers, etc and what they mean and cost? For instance, what does 1X Enhancer, etc mean and cost?
All the new enhancements can be read about in the wiki: https://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/DragonZone#dZbag

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 21 June 18 9:22 pm

gooseandegg wrote:Somewhat contradictory to my previews post.....

I am trying to understand why we lost about 230 dZ points since yesterday. We needed 611 points to the next level but after getting the daily 3.5 points this morning we now need 843 points to get to Supreme dragonZoner. My maths is not top notch these days, using technology to work everything out now, but even on a calculator that doesn't add up.
To quote 'support monkey doens't understand the mechanics of the game, so I can't help with point related issues'
Any clues?
thx g&e
Thanks for bringing your issue up. If there's a bug in the code, it will now be easier to squash it. The development team will look into the matter at the earliest convenience.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 June 18 10:31 pm

gooseandegg wrote:Somewhat contradictory to my previews post.....

Any clues?
thx g&e
Up to 46,600 you are a Duke.
Beyond that you are a Supreme dragonZoner.

Your total points are: 45,756.18
As you say to get to 46,600 you need about 843.

Points can be lost due to a cacher who has logged a find on your geocache deleting the find, reducing your Karma.

Points can also be adjusted should you be amending a log after the fact. Log changes are removed and recalculated just in case it changes from a find to a DNF or note or any update. e.g. If you found a geocache during a bonus period and then changed the log today the points are recalculated based on the bonus' available TODAY.

It seems most likely that if you edited a log after a bonus period you have lost those bonus points as "today" that bonus is no longer in play.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 22 June 18 12:34 am

caughtatwork wrote: Points can also be adjusted should you be amending a log after the fact. Log changes are removed and recalculated just in case it changes from a find to a DNF or note or any update. e.g. If you found a geocache during a bonus period and then changed the log today the points are recalculated based on the bonus' available TODAY.

It seems most likely that if you edited a log after a bonus period you have lost those bonus points as "today" that bonus is no longer in play.
Well that explains my large loss of points AND rank. I like to log my finds immediately on my phone app and update the log later on my home computer so I don't forget which ones I have it have not found. *sigh