dragonZone

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
caughtatwork

Re: dragonZone

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 14 8:19 pm

HHHEddy wrote:OK signed up, now when does it start :?:

Perhaps a missive on the daily email would get the message out to the faithful.
It started the second you joined. As the first game member, you also received a small bonus on your way out of "Dragon Fodder" rank.

The daily mailer from tomorrow will contain some basics and a link to the Wiki page.

So, go find GCA caches. Go hide GCA caches. Go move GCA caches (although a move only is a strategic approach only). The more you hide and find, the better your ranking, the more dZPoints you gather and the more zones you can control.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 03 April 14 8:53 pm

Sweet - I live literally on a boarder of two zones, so that could be helpful... I hope.

Is there anyway to filter out non GCA caches on the Geocaching Australia Google map ?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 14 9:56 pm

Not as such.

I rarely use the default maps. As you say, they show everything and I'm not an everything cacher.

I use a My Query to define what I want, then Google Map it. I'm predominately a moveable and traditional cacher nowadays. So I set up a My Query with only moveable and traditional caches selected. I set a difficulty and terrain between 1 and 3 (as I'm not fit enough to get anything too hard). I sort by closest to HOME and set a limit of 1,000 caches. I check the ones I haven't found and then I fling it all at the Google Map. That way I only get the unfound caches in a radius I'm happy to travel and they're the types I want.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 03 April 14 10:26 pm

:D :)
Too bad we can't get credit for previous GCA finds!
:wink: :roll:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 14 10:30 pm

rogerw3 wrote::D :)
That was a tough call to make when I was developing dragonZone and for those who have exhausted their areas I am truly sorry :(
However you now have even more incentive to get out there, find and hide more caches to continue the enjoyment of geocaching with dragonZone and help your Clan to control the known universe :mrgreen:

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 04 April 14 12:35 am

The GCNSW Fairies have plastered it via shares across the FB and G+ interwebs :mrgreen:

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 04 April 14 7:01 am

That particular rule will make it rather hard for you to play at all, Roger, won't it?

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by the Monkey King » 04 April 14 7:31 am

caughtatwork wrote:
rogerw3 wrote::D :)
That was a tough call to make when I was developing dragonZone and for those who have exhausted their areas I am truly sorry :(
However you now have even more incentive to get out there, find and hide more caches to continue the enjoyment of geocaching with dragonZone and help your Clan to control the known universe :mrgreen:
Hopefully this will mean the caches I have been hiding will actually get more than one or two finds from now on! :D

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by the Monkey King » 04 April 14 7:32 am

caughtatwork wrote:Not as such.

I rarely use the default maps. As you say, they show everything and I'm not an everything cacher.

I use a My Query to define what I want, then Google Map it. I'm predominately a moveable and traditional cacher nowadays. So I set up a My Query with only moveable and traditional caches selected. I set a difficulty and terrain between 1 and 3 (as I'm not fit enough to get anything too hard). I sort by closest to HOME and set a limit of 1,000 caches. I check the ones I haven't found and then I fling it all at the Google Map. That way I only get the unfound caches in a radius I'm happy to travel and they're the types I want.
Thank you - I will see what I can come up with.

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 04 April 14 8:04 am

Just a cacher wrote:That particular rule will make it rather hard for you to play at all, Roger, won't it?
:cry:
Well Wendy, it does not matter, I will find the odd moveable here and there within public transport access. I would like to think that I have done my bit for GCA over the last few years and that my caches will attract a few more finders in the mountains.
Best of luck to all competitors and may the most obsessed one win!
#-o

:twisted: I guess I could always log my own caches! After all I did go there to hide them! [-X

tigersden
1100 or more caches found

Post by tigersden » 04 April 14 9:59 am

Ok. I see we get points for finding caches.
Do we get points for hiding as well?
Just about to go test that out.
Are they the only way to earn points?
Do you get points if someone finds your cache?
Probably silly questions, but I had to ask.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 April 14 10:17 am

tigersden wrote:Ok. I see we get points for finding caches.
Do we get points for hiding as well?
Just about to go test that out.
Are they the only way to earn points?
Do you get points if someone finds your cache?
Probably silly questions, but I had to ask.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/DragonZone
Hiding a new treasure pleases the dragon realm and the treasure will be awarded more points initially than a standard find. Your personal dZPoints for hiding a treasure will accumulate at a faster pace for each new rank you achieve. The more treasure you find and hide, the faster you will achieve new ranks. As with treasure finds, not all treasure hides are created equal. Large treasures are worth more than regular treasures, which are worth more than small, micro, or nano treasures. Difficult treasures are worth more than easy treasures. Treasures hidden in tough landscapes will be worth more than treasures you hide on the street.
In stage 1 there are three ways to gain points. Hides, finds and a daily visit to your dragonZone page. Your dragonZone page will (sooner or later) start to include tips, tricks, strategies and other information, so visit often to gain insight into upcoming enhancements and gain some dZPoints.

In stage 2 there will be additional trophies (kind of like souvies, but better) which will also gain you dZPoints. They will be predominately hide / find based, but there may be special days / events / activities / shop purchases that will earn you additional dZPoints.

You don't get any points for someone finding your cache. Once you hide it, control of the cache falls to others. It's an interesting idea though to continue to earn points for "contributing" back to the game by hiding a cache. I'll take that idea on board and it may come with stage 2 enhancements.

tigersden

Post by tigersden » 04 April 14 11:10 am

Awesome Thankyou for that info. ;-)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 April 14 3:40 pm

Go, go Clan Griffin!!! Those Minotaurs aren't even on the ladder yet. \:D/ \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 April 14 6:30 pm

Thanks to tigersden for her idea of Karma for the cache owner. It's been implemented and you'll now get some Karma for any dragonZone cache you have hidden that subsequently gets found. The cache has to have been published after you joined dragonZone to get Karma. She's been awarded a few additional points for a great idea.