dragonZone

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
gooseandegg
10000 or more caches found

Re: dragonZone

Post by gooseandegg » 24 June 18 2:25 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:I'm sorry you feel this way. I can only speak for myself and what I'm reading through my eyes and mind, but these were merely questions about things we don't understand. How else are we to learn how it all works?

Commenting and questioning on this was only joining in what I thought was a harmless conversation with the community and looking for clarity. Clarity I have finally found after your response. I'm out. I suffer social anxiety and finding friends here to chat with who have similar interests was healthy for me. Your response assuming we were being hostile isn't healthy for me. I'm out.

Thank you to all of you here who made me feel like a had found a place I fit in. It was fun. :D :D :D

*I added 3 smilies so you can tell it is only a friendly message. :D

Hi No_Tomorrow,

I found his response a bit harsh too. I believe the reason we're all reacted in such a way it's because we're so passionate about geocaching and the addition freedom that GCA gives the caching community. The sense of fairness seems to have been tested a little, but that is perhaps due to lack of our understanding and/or programming issues.

I urge you to reconsider your exit. These issues blow over and things eventually go back to normal. I can get as hot-headed as anyone but ultimately I love geocaching and am not going to let anyone spoil that for me. I hope you feel the same way.

respectfully gooseandegg
Last edited by gooseandegg on 24 November 18 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

OldSaint

Post by OldSaint » 24 June 18 2:50 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:I'm sorry you feel this way. I can only speak for myself and what I'm reading through my eyes and mind, but these were merely questions about things we don't understand. How else are we to learn how it all works?

Commenting and questioning on this was only joining in what I thought was a harmless conversation with the community and looking for clarity. Clarity I have finally found after your response. I'm out. I suffer social anxiety and finding friends here to chat with who have similar interests was healthy for me. Your response assuming we were being hostile isn't healthy for me. I'm out.

Thank you to all of you here who made me feel like a had found a place I fit in. It was fun. :D :D :D

Sad to see your thread - don't leave! You are one hundred percent right; sad others don't see it that way
An even playing field is what is required and understanding the game is part of that even playing field
Keep caching and enjoying it irrespective of caching politics
Cheers OldSaint

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by sirius Tas » 24 June 18 4:51 pm

gooseandegg wrote:

Hi No_Tomorrow,

I found that response a bit harsh too. I believe the reason we're all reacted in such a way it's because we're so passionate about geocaching and the addition freedom that GCA gives the caching community. The sense of fairness seems to have been tested a little, but that is perhaps due to lack of our understanding and/or programming issues.

I urge you to reconsider your exit. These issues blow over and things eventually go back to normal. I can get as hot-headed as anyone but ultimately I love geocaching and am not going to let anyone spoil that for me. I hope you feel the same way.

respectfully gooseandegg
Totally agree. Guess I was one of the bullies as I was given 1000 bonus points which I never asked for or want....so could one of the faeries respectfully remove them.
I don't consider any of my remarks in general are bullying in any wat shape or form and resent such assertions.
This is a public forum and has the same guidelines and rules as any other of which I'm used to.
All transparency has gone by the wayside.

I'm also considering my position but will wait until my blood pressure returns to some normality.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 24 June 18 8:16 pm

The issues raised over the previous week have certainly upset a few people, and those behind the scenes are trying to make this right.

We are looking at ways of preventing the editing of logs affecting the way dZ points are gained, while also taking into account that the log type may occasionally be changed (Found to DNF, Found to Noted etc), which can throw a big spanner into the works.

The issue of two cachers mysteriously gaining large amounts of dZ points overnight was, as has been pointed out in this thread, a legitimate bug where the cachers involved had never earned any karma points on any of their cache hides.

The issue of Boosters, Enhancers, Controllers and Disruptors being unfair to some people is nothing we can do much about right now. Please remember though that dragonZone is a work in progress, and we do have a development list of future items that will be worked through when time becomes available. Some of the ideas in the pipeline may be of a big benefit to those who feel they are marginalised, either by their location or time available to participate in dragonZone.

Despite the way this thread is heading, I can't help but think it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup. But I would ask that people just remember to think about what they write, and how it may be perceived to those of us who are trying to make this game happen.

OldSaint

Post by OldSaint » 25 June 18 12:17 am

J_&_J wrote:The issues raised over the previous week have certainly upset a few people, and those behind the scenes are trying to make this right.

We are looking at ways of preventing the editing of logs affecting the way dZ points are gained, while also taking into account that the log type may occasionally be changed (Found to DNF, Found to Noted etc), which can throw a big spanner into the works.

The issue of two cachers mysteriously gaining large amounts of dZ points overnight was, as has been pointed out in this thread, a legitimate bug where the cachers involved had never earned any karma points on any of their cache hides.

The issue of Boosters, Enhancers, Controllers and Disruptors being unfair to some people is nothing we can do much about right now. Please remember though that dragonZone is a work in progress, and we do have a development list of future items that will be worked through when time becomes available. Some of the ideas in the pipeline may be of a big benefit to those who feel they are marginalised, either by their location or time available to participate in dragonZone.

Despite the way this thread is heading, I can't help but think it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup. But I would ask that people just remember to think about what they write, and how it may be perceived to those of us who are trying to make this game happen.
I think I would be right in saying that most participants in dz and those cachers that enjoy the game and finding GCA caches are very appreciative of the efforts of those running the games as well as the GCA site - if not so, they would not participate nor would they help financially when needed - definitely so in my case!
However the game does not seem to run on an even playing field as indicated by the angst caused by recent events
I have made two requests during this debate and both have been refused:
1. To have the points lost as a result of deleting one digit in a log on a legitimate find made during the dz 6x to be restored to my dz points - not granted; yet two other cachers received 1000 bonus points for the same issue;
when at the beginning of the game it was stated that for helping to resolve glitches ONLY 10 points would be awarded for doing so;

2. Asked to change dragon clan as others have and was told by the dragonZone Guardian

GCA Found:
GCA Hidden:

Re: Change Dragon zone clan
There is no opportunity to change clans at this point in time.

J&J it is this type of "selective amendments" that those who play and enjoy the game see and become sceptical about the even playing field that should be inclusive in the game
If discussing these glitches is "bullying" behaviour I apologise, but what is done, should be done for all if the request is a reasonable one
I believe mine were
Similarly, when people do not understand an issue is it not unreasonable to try and gain an understanding of that situation by asking questions - I thought that was one purpose of the FORUM, amidst being able to praise others for their efforts, to congratulate fellow cachers on milestones, to make suggestions for new caches etc etc
Dragon Zone is fun, it's a game that we all enjoy - in some cases competitive - hence the need for an even playing field where all are treated equally; I will continue to participate and appreciate the effort put in by the administrators hopefully in an even playing field
Thanks and cheers
OldSaint