A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Looking for people to help create an Australia wide series

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 19 April 22 7:14 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
14 April 22 10:15 am
Hmmmn, not enough interest initially, so I'll give this a bump for anyone else to chime in.
Without raising a new discussion on which is the best forum for news and contact, how many GCA cachers regularly read the forum posts?? Are they not seeing this thread because they don't check very often. I know a couple of cachers in northern Vic who will happily hide more GCA caches but probably haven't checked in recently (maybe due to being in northern QLD at a little get-together).
Does this thread need to go out to, perhaps, facebook etc?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 April 22 9:19 am

If we had a social media volunteer we could do so much more, but we don't, so I'm afraid we can only do what I can do in the time I have available.

We dropped our social media volunteers after we discovered they were posting copyrighted images without attribution, appearing as though they were owned by Geocaching Australia. That breached the social media sites rules (which transferred royalty free rights without the owner knowing) and our our guidelines at the time.

Our site guidelines now advise:
Content you upload to Geocaching Australia is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 deed.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

So provided we can post content without transferring rights and we provide attribution, we can now do this.

The challenge, as I'm sure you know, is people volunteer for a short period of time then they lose interest and then that role gets dropped or dumped on someone else. It then falls into disarray or disappointment by the community who were consuming it and they drift away. If we do more social media we would need to have some volunteers (there can be more than one) to manage and co-ordinate that social presence across the various platforms (Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc) with a commitment to doing it as time permits, but getting it actually done.

That's a new thread and discussion that anyone can start, make the call outs, propose a plan and then we can give permissions to the various social sites to make it happen. Go for it.

geono.
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by geono. » 26 April 22 9:32 pm

The Australia wide series sounds like a great idea. I'd be happy to help with NSW Northern Tablelands or any places we happen to be travelling in (which is how I place caches for the ICEM series).

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 01 May 22 5:23 pm

Just seen this thread after returning from Townsville.

I can help for around Perth WA if this goes ahead.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 05 June 22 11:13 pm

i dont read these forums as much as I would like, well get time to anyway and have only just spotted this thread.

Not sure on what this will involves but i'll give it a go if I can help out, i can easily place a few caches within 100km of Hobart and further afield but maintenance would be slow and infrequent the further it gets.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 12 June 22 9:55 am

I could hide and maintain something in the Redlands area of Brisbane, at least for now.