for the sake of this estimate, assume:
- a well-respected member of the site has put their hand up to receive donations for the server
- there's a loose audit to make sure they are not running off with your money (eg you publicly indicate you've made a donation and they publicly acknowledge it)
- it's optional
- there's some kind of recognition in the forum near your avatar
- there's no additional access or functionality for people who donate
- there's no set amount to donate.
what we'd like to do is multiply the votes x the amount to see an estimate of what might be available to run the server. we acknowledge that people will promise something and then not donate anything so we'll need to apply some kind of shrinkage factor.
if you would be prepared to donate more through an association, then please indicate that in a post. for example if you'd not be prepared to donate anything through a member, but only through an association, vote $0 and then post that you'd donate $y to an association.
don't worry, we won't hold you to this, however if everyone says they'll donate and then they don't, it could be quite unfair to whoever's credit card the new server will go on!
please vote even if you vote $0. it's better for us to know now rather than later!