41%
What a dumb idea!!
45%

Total votes: 95

Citria
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Citria » 10 January 05 12:29 am

As much as I dislike bureaucracy American-style, I don't know if creating our own bureaucracy is going to improve matters a whole lot. I am relatively new to this sport, and only find the time to do one or two caches a week (and less then that at the moment :( ), and I can honestly say that I wouldn't be bothered searching through two websites to search for caches that I wanted to do. Maybe this would benefit the more die-hard cachers among us (?) and I can certainly understand everyone being disgruntled with the US system, but for the typical "weekend" cacher it might just make for more fiddling around.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 10 January 05 12:33 am

Well I too have an opinion on this. I personally would like to see something like this occur. I've heard people say that there are many cachers who don't come into the forums- I was unaware that all other forms of communications between people were incapable of occuring- maybe I should watch news more often.<br>
<br>
I'll tell you the one thing that stops people from making change. LAZINESS. Everything goes in the 'too hard' basket. It makes life easy.<br>
<br>
And heres another thing- even people who show and breed guinea pigs have a body of people who represent them to the world. <br>
<br>
I'm sorry if this sounds abrupt, but I'm tired, and sunburnt (I was sitting in the shade- so not sure how that happened!!) and not feeling very well. I'll elaborate more when my mind is working properly :) <br>
<br>
Marie

Citria
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Citria » 10 January 05 12:45 am

Wow, a first-time venture into the forum and my head gets bitten off! I think I'll stick to GC.com to find somewhere to go for a hike on my days off, and leave the politics to those less "lazy" than myself.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 10 January 05 12:56 am

Citria wrote:Wow, a first-time venture into the forum and my head gets bitten off! I think I'll stick to GC.com to find somewhere to go for a hike on my days off, and leave the politics to those less "lazy" than myself.
<br>
<br>

I donÂ’t think that was directed at you. I may be wrong. Generally, the only people who get SH!T heaped on them here is Bronze and Me and thats on each other. Oh and the Two Dogs like to have a go but they get as good as they give. Other than that this is a very friendly forum.
<br><br>
P.S This poster has a tongue in his cheek, no offence meant to Hounddog or Snifter lots of offence meant to Bronze.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 10 January 05 1:01 am

I was going to let George respond to this but there was a post in another threat that also relates.

I am not going to rehash the events leading up to the "mutiny", except to say, that now this has nothing to do with the relief effort going on for our asian neighbours. Piggy's cache is still listed all be it in anarchived form that you can still log against. Well done Team Piggy.

This is now for me, a chance to help establish an alternative cache listing site that is managed for aussies, by aussies to cater to aussies. Hopefully doing it in a manner that will attract more people to the new site.

I have heard in the past from various players grumbles about how gc.com doesn't really take into account the Australian way of doing things or culture. I have also made the same noises, even whilst as a reviewer/approver for the other site.

Ok so this is an alternative site to the main site... no one is forcing you to list caches or to log your finds exclusively on the new site.

I am treating the whole issue now from the consumer's point of view....
I was dissatisified with the product/service/treatment being recieved from the first company i was dealing with so I decided to take my business elsewhere. In this case I am bringing my custom home to an Australian venture, from an overseas one.

How many of you have changed where you do business because you were unhappy with something? I believe everyone has done it at one time or another. So why is it now such a big deal that a few aussie cachers has decided enough was enough and gotten stuck in to create our own site?

Some of the long term members of the aussie caching community may remember that the hosts of this whole site that you are currently using for your forums, have been gearing up for this for quite sometime..

Mix

Post by Mix » 10 January 05 1:14 am

swampgecko wrote:
Some of the long term members of the aussie caching community may remember that the hosts of this whole site that you are currently using for your forums, have been gearing up for this for quite sometime..
<br><br>
Since 'lane cove'!
<br><br>
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... ht=history

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 10 January 05 1:28 am

I think that was a bit harsh and she had a good point

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 10 January 05 3:16 am

I didn't mean my comments as a personal attack on anyone Citria- please don't think I was aiming at you at all- in fact- I didn't even know your post was there till I submitted mine- you must have entered your comment while I was writing mine :) <br>
<br>
Okay, so I may still be tired and sore- but I just had to make that clear :) <br>
Sniper- were you referring to my comment or to Catria's? <br>
<br>
Marie

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 10 January 05 11:19 am

Citria made a good point and I thought your comments where a bit harsh, but as you pointed out they werenÂ’t aimed at her or anyone else in particular so never mind, all is well :)

Anyone else notice everyone seems a tad bit aggravated off late :?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 January 05 11:35 am

Lt. Sniper wrote:Anyone else notice everyone seems a tad bit aggravated off late :?
And just are you pointing that finger at, you banana bending bird?! :evil:
Should I take that personally?!

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 10 January 05 11:40 am

Bear_Left wrote:Should I take that personally?!
No, and you shouldnÂ’t take it seriously either.

And you just had to bring a Banana into this!!

My Penguin is not the only one who can strut his stuff :P

ideology

Post by ideology » 10 January 05 12:16 pm

perhaps we already have an association of a kind - the people on this board? people who want to be heard speak up, those who don't want to be heard or don't want to participate lurk or not log on at all

keeping it informal will hopefully stop us tripping over ourselves with rules and procedures like groundspeak seems to have done. (of course, we'll probably trip over something else instead, but that's another matter!)

cached mentioned cache reviewers. we knew from previous threads that people want caches to be reviewed. so, who should do the reviewing? we figured that the best people to do this were people who'd been reviewing caches on the secondary site. so we asked them and to our surprise they agreed! so yes, they weren't elected, but we figured that they had such specific skills that we'd be mad not to ask them. plus, it's fun to know that we have every aussie reviewer on the secondary site on board!

cached, does that help?

Effrem

Post by Effrem » 10 January 05 6:53 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote:Effrem:
That was my intended point, I know the yanks donÂ’t care and some Aussies where following the yanks lead of throwing around the "But your country only did this much...". I know the Aussie care and thatÂ’s why I said we need to concentrate on the "What can we do" aspect.

The now apparent fracture between the 2 sites:
If we remove our caches they wont care one bit and any normal Geocacher in Australia will be affected and loose out in the long run. I donÂ’t want a divided community because thatÂ’s what it will be. I seriously believe you will loose a lot of this community who decide to stay with the GC.com site. I know for one I will, and I can tell you Queensland will as well. Divide up the country all you want, its just going to fall apart in your hands. :evil:

You are right on both counts.

But I think there should be some form of protest re their actions.

Perhaps we can preface every log with with something.
Just something remind the seppos why we complain about the inflexiblity of GC.

After all they wont really care if we set up an Aussie site......

Damian

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 10 January 05 7:07 pm

WhatÂ’s the point? If they donÂ’t care then why bother protesting, if we go putting in messages that we have to look at then it just serves to remind us that they pissed us off at one stage...

This isnÂ’t about revenge, we want to do it our way, not thereÂ’s.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 11 January 05 6:29 am

As I have no voice of my own I have to follow my Prime Minister.

His advisor reckons...

So, there you have it.

Bronze.
PS: Oh Mix, he said howdy.