Geocaching Australia event on the GeoGearHeads podcast

Geocaching Australia governance issues
MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Geocaching Australia event on the GeoGearHeads podcast

Post by MavEtJu » 23 August 17 10:16 pm

Greetings,

The hosts of the GeoGearHeads podcast (http://www.geogearheads.com/) have promised to do an episode on Geocaching Australia. During the winter, they normally record on Fridays at 11:00 AEST. Normally you hook up in a Google Hangout channel (audio + video) in which they ask the questions, with a live text-based chat happening on the side of the screen with their viewers being the peanut gallery (generally 3-7 of them).

Is somebody of the senate interested in doing this interview? If nobody wants to do it, I'm more than happy to do it. Please let me know and I'll give you the contact details.

Edwin

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching Australia event on the GeoGearHeads podcast

Post by Richary » 23 August 17 11:15 pm

Never heard of them, but I would be happy to do it. But I would need to be able to find a quiet meeting room at work or the warehouse to do it, it would be a bit hard at my desk. How long does it generally go for? Google hangouts is not a problem as we use it at work all the time.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 23 August 17 11:35 pm

Never heard of them either......probably because they are not based in Australia. A couple of cachers from the US want to know about Geocaching Australia.

We're not going to appeal to them and I would think that a low percentage of Australians would listen to their podcasts (not saying none), and those that may, well, they know about us anyway.

What's the value for Geocaching Australia.....

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 24 August 17 9:21 am

Richary wrote:Never heard of them, but I would be happy to do it. But I would need to be able to find a quiet meeting room at work or the warehouse to do it, it would be a bit hard at my desk. How long does it generally go for? Google hangouts is not a problem as we use it at work all the time.
Normally it takes about an hour. If you haven't heard of them yet, please do listen to some of their podcasts. Generally they are related to things around geocaching (live streaming, organised geotours, preparing for touring, discussions on standalone GNSSr versus integrated in phones), sometimes to geocaching itself (various apps, project-GC, groundspeak), sometimes technical (How does the GPSr constellation actually work, what is the best camera for ....), alternative geolocation games (Munzee, Wallabee, Flagstack) and alternative listing services (opencaching.us).

Have a listen to some of them, don't be too annoyed with "Chris of the North West"'s dad-jokes, see what you think. And let me know if you are still up for it afterwards :-)

Edwin

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 24 August 17 9:33 am

Sol de Lune wrote:Never heard of them either......probably because they are not based in Australia. A couple of cachers from the US want to know about Geocaching Australia.
Geogearheads is a bastion of related-to geocaching news, rarely it's about finding the container or Groundspeak and they are very open to new things.
Sol de Lune wrote:We're not going to appeal to them and I would think that a low percentage of Australians would listen to their podcasts (not saying none), and those that may, well, they know about us anyway.
Geocaching Australia is with opencaching.de and opencaching.pl one of the view national listing services which worked out. By spreading the word that alternatives can work (unless you see it different), it might convince people to give alternatives a try and make them more accepted.
Sol de Lune wrote:What's the value for Geocaching Australia.....
I came here first to give the senators of Geocaching Australia the opportunity to grab this free publicity opportunity. A positive sound versus last weeks reply of Craig Michell reply of "let's not talk about them". Showing them that Groundspeak isn't the only player in town and that if you are complaining about abandoned moveables, the lack of virtuals and that you can't place it somewhere which is too close to another, that there are alternatives. There is an iOS app which supports it, there is an Android app which supports it, less and less reasons to not join are becoming null and void.

Edwin

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 24 August 17 9:35 am

Many Aussie viewers or not, I watched the start of the one Edwin posted on the vlogging thread and Craig, with his lack of response and proud mannerisms, gave the impression that Geocaching Australia is like Loki to Thor - that brother that shouldn't exist. I think someone who actually knows what GCA does should let everyone on there know the truth. If not for our reputation or getting new members, then to show others they can do something like this autonomous from the greedy giant.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 August 17 1:59 pm

Interesting that Darryls still got the podcast going, I used to be a regular in their hangouts way back when (even been on it back in 2011-2012 or something).

Amazed that they have kept the conversation going so long given the game really hasn't evolved that drastically since way back.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 August 17 2:03 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote: Geocaching Australia is like Loki to Thor - that brother that shouldn't exist
That's the best analogy I've read in a long time :lol: Sad, but for a large segment of the community very true.

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 26 August 17 10:54 am

No_Tomorrow wrote:If not for our reputation or getting new members, then to show others they can do something like this autonomous from the greedy giant.
They're a popular and well known podcast in other geocaching communities, and even if they and their audiences may see GCA as a novelty or curiosity, I agree with NT that it could help to inspire others to think outside the box.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 26 August 17 4:55 pm

My question remains? How many Australians do you think listen to them. Then, how many of those Australians don't already know about us. No point just preaching to a bunch of Americans. The last thing we want is for a bunch of overseas cachers sitting on our system doing nothing.

Not everything is a good idea.......

ziggiau
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 05 September 17 6:25 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:My question remains? How many Australians do you think listen to them.
But the same could be said for No_Tomorrow's videos, or SMS's Periscopes - the audience is niche but at least they're all listening/watching/participating for the right reasons.
Sol de Lune wrote:Then, how many of those Australians don't already know about us.
Seriously SDL? You know full well that we don't have market penetration and the bulk of players that started in the smartphone era don't connect with GCA because it's been beyond them until recently.
Sol de Lune wrote:No point just preaching to a bunch of Americans. The last thing we want is for a bunch of overseas cachers sitting on our system doing nothing.
Can't hurt for them to have a look around surely? It's not about having them come here as members, it's about showing people that there are options and alternatives which may spark ideas in others or at the very least, make them feel the warm and fuzzies towards us.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 06 September 17 8:32 am

Discussion moved into the Senate area......