Senate - Calls for nominations 2017 / 2018

Geocaching Australia governance issues
Geocaching Australia

Senate - Calls for nominations 2017 / 2018

Post by Geocaching Australia » 29 May 17 9:25 am

These are the terms of reference for the 2017/2018 (July to June) senators.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Senators
Senate

The philosophy of Geocaching Australia is "free and open" which is the desire of the founders for a geocaching website where there will never be mandatory payment for access to geocache data and the data of the website can be openly shared to other websites. Data is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 deed. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ This is agreed to when a geocacher lists their geocache at Geocaching Australia.

Future development and game changing enhancements to the website are referred to the senate for a decision on the strategic outcomes presented by each new development or enhancement. Major decisions in terms of the direction of the website should be proposed to the senate who will help to formulate the acceptance or rejection of the position to be adopted and guide the website towards achieving that goal. This is done though the Geocaching Australia Senate forum. The role of Senator is not onerous and decisions are only likely to be taken a few times a year.

The senate will be formed by members from each state and territory in Australia as well as the North and South islands of New Zealand and the Geocaching Australia website developers. This will result in a maximum of 10 senators representing two countries plus the website developers. A state, territory or island need not be represented, but should a state, territory or island be not represented, they will continue unrepresented until the next election. In the event of a senator standing down, that state, territory or island will continue unrepresented until the next election.

Senators will serve a term of 12 months or until a new Senate election is held. Senators may stand aside at any time. Senators are eligible for re-election for every election. Nominations will be called for approximately 1 month prior to elections. Nominations must come from the nominee. If there are fewer than 10 nominations then one state, territory or island may be represented by more than one senator. If there are more than 10 nominations then a vote will be taken for any state, territory or island where there is more than one nomination. The senator will be elected on a "first past the post" result.

Governance of the website and the way that Geocaching Australia continues in the Australian geocaching space will be a collaborative effort between the senate and the developers. Voting in the Senate will be on a "first past the post" result. In the event of a tie further discussion and voting will take place.

When 50% +1 or more of the senators and developers choose an option, it will be considered a decision. Senators may "opt out" of voting, however their "opt out" vote will not be taken into consideration. Senators may not proxy their vote to another senator. e.g. If only 7 senators vote and there are 4 FOR and 3 AGAINST, then the FOR vote will be considered to the the decision even though there are senators who did not express a preference either way.

Enhancements to the functionality of the website where a function exists do not need approval of the senate. Enhancements to the functionality of the website where a function does not currently exist may be provided to the senate for review and discussion. Concepts for rewards programs shall be provided to the senate in confidence for review and discussion. Games do not need approval of the senate. Funding of the website will be via voluntary donations or from the profit on the sale of token goods through the shop. Items for the shop do not need approval from the senate.

Other administrative roles are not senatorial position although they may be filled by senators if the senator volunteers.
If you are interested in nominating yourself for a Senate role, indicate your nomination in this thread. If you would like to promote yourself, do so at the time you nominate.

SELF nominations ONLY please.

Senators will be announced or elections will commence around Mid June 2017 for a July 2017 to June 2018 period.

Current Senators are welcome to nominate again.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Re: Senate - Calls for nominations 2017 / 2018

Post by Chwiliwr » 29 May 17 2:19 pm

I am happy to do this again for Western Australia

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 29 May 17 6:39 pm

I am happy to continue for SA if no one else wants to...

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 29 May 17 8:10 pm

I will put up my hand for Queensland again. There are not many GCA cachers around here.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 May 17 9:00 pm

I am happy to continue for NSW if that's what the punters want :)

dezzabills
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by dezzabills » 30 May 17 12:29 pm

Hi
I would like to self nominate for a Senate position for Western Australia. I have been a member since 2013 and i spend a lot of time caching GA caches as i enjoy the huge variety of cache types on offer in Geocaching Australia. I have cached in WA, SA and Victoria and the variety of caches and foremost the sites and places i have visited and the history i have learnt in this journey has been incredible and outstanding. I would really love to promote my thoughts as mentioned above in regard to sites, history and places in GA to the wider caching community as Geocaching Australia certainly has a lot more to offer in this great country of ours. I was introduced to Geocaching Australia and helped a lot by Firnsy and i have loved GA caching a lot over the last 4 years. I am keen to be a Senator in WA so i can promote GA to the wider community and help new cachers where i can. I also hold a Mayoral Royalty for Rottnest Island.
Thankyou
Derek Bilney aka dezzabills

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 01 June 17 8:32 pm

J and J would like to continue as senators,

It's good to see someone new put their hand up, well done dezzabills. We'd like to see enough interest in the Geocaching Australia Senate that we have to vote for senators! [-o<

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 01 June 17 9:49 pm

As I'm keeping the seat warm for someone from the NT, I'm happy to continue on if no other NT folk step up.

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 04 June 17 1:35 am

I'm happy to put my hand up for Victoria but also quite happy to cede to Louise Ann if she would like to continue in the role.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 08 June 17 9:26 am

Noninations will remain open for another week and an annoucement on appointments or elections will be made Friday 16/6.

firnsy

Post by firnsy » 09 June 17 9:18 pm

I'd like to renominate for NZ. Have been in a bit of a caching hiatus since moving to NZ, but hoping to turn that around soon and start to engage with the caching community here and maybe stir up a bit of interest in GCA cache types and activities. I will also make an effort to engage more with the senate than I have in the current term.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 13 June 17 11:07 am

I was holding off nominating as I wanted to see if anyone else from the ACT would, but alas, nothing.

I'm more than happy to continue in the role for the ACT but was curious to see if anyone else had an interest.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 15 June 17 12:37 am

I would like to nominate myself for the Tasmanian senate position.
I moved to Australia 5 years ago now and have been slowly getting into GCA, my GC finds still are a large part of my finds but i'm now finding I do days of pure GCA caching, i can see why cachers are unwilling to do GCA as I have been there myself and learning from this I am more than happy to promote GCA to GC cachers and work with them to make them have the realisation I did that a find is a find no matter what listing site it is on.

Before this fact comes out in the wash I would like to let everyone know I'm a POM and didn't steal a loaf bread to get here, just want to put my dark past out there up front :lol:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 15 June 17 8:34 am

Good work S-S-R. Good to have an active Tassie cacher put their hand up!

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 17 June 17 12:30 pm

Nominations are now closed:

There are 10 positions up for grabs, 8 for Australia and 2 for New Zealand.
The following nominations have been received.
Richary - New South Wales
ziggiau - New South Wales (state of residence)
dezzabills - Western Australia
Chwiliwr - Western Australia
J_&_J - South Australia
Laighside Legends - South Australia
crew 153 - Queensland
WazzaAndWenches - Victoria
firnsy - New Zealand
Sol de Lune - ACT
stainless-steel-rat - Tasmania

This puts us one senator over the limit and we should have a run off for NSW, WA and SA. This would result in us having only 8 senators as 3 would be eliminated. Rather than have 8 senators, this year we will vary the rule and have 11. As we have no written constitution, we are free to vary rules as we see fit.

Welcome to the senate. The new senators will be contacted shortly and will be granted access to the hidden senate forum where items of a commercial nature may be discussed.

Thanks for your interest and we look forward to another year of excitement, change and growth in our game and Geocaching Australia.