Trig question

Geocaching Australia governance issues
pjw

Trig question

Post by pjw » 30 June 10 5:36 pm

I'm new at this whole adventure and am after some advice... If I happen to locate a Trig Point that's not currently published, should I publish it myself as a cache and if that be the case am I able to claim first to find credit?

Damo.

Re: Trig question

Post by Damo. » 30 June 10 6:14 pm

It is common practice to do that. The trig point will appear as being 'owned by' Geocaching Australia so you can log a find and claim FTF if you want.
I don't know how much your credit is worth for such a find.... :-k

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 30 June 10 7:20 pm

I found 3 trigs yesterday that were FTF's published in Sept last year. It appears GSAK and the stats pages don't count Trigs as real FTF's :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 June 10 8:23 pm

If you list a new trigpoint, please ensure you select TrigPoint as the cache type.

pjw

Post by pjw » 30 June 10 9:04 pm

Thank you all. I'll get to work and list it. I've only just joined the GC fraternity after a friend repeatedly told me how much fun he has and to be honest it didn't really appeal to me that much but as I currently spend a lot of time venturing into the hills in my spare time I was stoked to find that trigs could be logged and I thought what the hey? Who knows in time I may actually engage in some real GC'ing? Thanks again.

pjw

Post by pjw » 02 July 10 11:31 pm

I've found my niche! Whilst I accept logging trig points may be frowned upon by many and I concede it doesn't constitute geocaching I'm enjoying spending time in the hills, identifying some points of interest and am grateful for the existence of a forum where I can share this with others. I've located and published a further two trig points in Kowen forest today and I trust others will venture forth and enjoy the journey as I did.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 July 10 11:43 pm

Frowned upon?
I don't think so.
It's a great way to get out there as you have identified and enjoy the Australian bush.
Don't worry what others say, enjoy yourself.

g_ordo
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by g_ordo » 03 July 10 10:41 am

I would have to say two if the best finds I have managed have been trig points, purely for the location, one being flaxmans hill near peterbourough, vic, and mt Wilson in wombat forest. Both were beautiful relatively ontouched places which just have an awe factor about them.

Well they did for me anyway, and I am finding I am drawn to the bush caches more than in the city, so it would be a personal thing I guess.

Cheers gordo

pjw

Post by pjw » 03 July 10 10:03 pm

I tend to get the same enjoyment from trig points. I've done some easy ones today but I've got plans for some more remote points and it's the challenge of the journey to the more remote areas and finding points not currently published. I'm looking forward to going further afield.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 July 10 10:51 pm

Some of the best caches I have found have happened to be near a remote trigpoint. One that involves a fairly hard journey up a hill with no marked track to find the cache at the top - usually near the trigpoint if it has one - for some reason cachers like placing things on top of hills!

So I can see where trigpointing would give the same level of enjoyment if you are into that sort of bushwalking/exploration. The plus side is we are also allowed to do it in a national park area if the point happens to be there. The other plus is you just need a photo of the trigpoint to claim it rather than rummaging around in the undergrowth giving the leeches a chance to attack :wink:

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 19 August 10 8:25 pm

pjw - I thoroughly enjoyed the MTB ride out in Kowen forest chasing those two new trigs you found, and what good finds too. Well done.

pjw

Post by pjw » 26 August 10 9:42 pm

Perhaps the senate needs to adjudicate on what defines a trig station. Tankengine disputes Sparrow Trig yet he has logged Black Mtn Trig which does not meet his own definition. Both points have a plate identifying the point as a Trig (see log photos). What are everyone's thoughts? Should we just go with old school traditional trigs?

pjw

Post by pjw » 26 August 10 9:47 pm

And there is also Mt Ainslie Trig...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 August 10 10:42 pm

pjw wrote:Perhaps the senate needs to adjudicate on what defines a trig station. Tankengine disputes Sparrow Trig yet he has logged Black Mtn Trig which does not meet his own definition. Both points have a plate identifying the point as a Trig (see log photos). What are everyone's thoughts? Should we just go with old school traditional trigs?
Not in a million years will the senate get into an adjudication role or argue with what the community thinks is a trig or not a trig.

If YOU think it's a trig, that's good enough for us.
If you DON'T think it's a trig, that's good enough for us.

TrigPoints are supposed to be locations that are fun to find, most times have great views and are there for people who don't have many caches are them or for areas in National Parks (et al) where physical geocaching is banned.

If you want to have a grown up discussion about whether a particular point is a trig point, a survey mark, etc, please do so, however you WILL respect the opinions of other cachers. They could be just as right or wrong as you are.

Saying it's a TP doesn't make it so, neither does saying it's NOT a TP. Find evidence one way or the other and try to persuade the others side to your point of view. If someone disputes the fact that it's a TP, then jolly good on them. If you dispute that it IS a TP, jolly good on you.

We're here for fun and entertainment, not to be the rules lawyers. You're all grown ups, I expect that you can act as such.

You = generic you, not specifically you.

pjw

Post by pjw » 27 August 10 9:38 am

For those interested in sourcing some Trig Stations in the ACT the following link takes you to the ACTPLA website with a further link to the Survey Mark Database. Trigonometrical Stations are identified in the database by the code "MC".
http://www.actmapi.act.gov.au/commands/ ... s_list.asp

Enjoy.