Domain name

Geocaching Australia governance issues
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Domain name

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 July 09 12:00 am

caughtatwork wrote:We also need to solve the problem of domain name registration of the site domain name.
That's something that the senate needs to work out quick smart.
So, I assume that it's currently owned by i! and just points to our new servers.

The problem is that it needs an entity to be owned by and GCA doesn't have any legal standing, last I looked.

Is there any issue with leaving it with i! (or transferring it to some other natural person, maybe c@w) and just paying for it from GCA funds? I doubt that George or George are likely to do anything untoward with it, and it only needs a payment every few years.

ideology

Re: Domain name

Post by ideology » 21 July 09 12:43 am

domain name
the domain name is registered to one of our companies
we'd like to pass it on to someone (or something!) so we don't need to remember to renew it
(the money isn't the issue, it's just the admin hassle)

our first thought was one of the developers, but they may need an ABN or similar under auDA rules
if they are not allowed by auDA to be registrants, we could transfer it to the tassie geocaching association which we understand is a legal entity (well, legal enough to have a bank account holding the donations, anyway!)

pointing to the new server
actually the domain name points to two nameservers, both of which are i! machines. these machines point the names geocaching.com.au, mobile.geocaching.com.au, etc to the new server

eventually we'd like to move the name services onto the new server to give the developers the freedom to conjure up new domain names like iphone.geocaching.com.au etc without us having to muck around with zone files and stuff on our nameservers

we aren't in a particular hurry with either one. the gca domain is up for renewal on 21 september, so we might as well aim to effect the transfer before then.

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 21 July 09 7:52 am

ideology wrote:domain name
we aren't in a particular hurry with either one. the gca domain is up for renewal on 21 september, so we might as well aim to effect the transfer before then.
Today being the 21st July... that gives us about 2 months :?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 July 09 8:33 am

As i! says, we need an ABN to get past the auDA. I no longer have a valid ABN (as it turns out, whoops), so we do need an entity that can continue the registration for us.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 July 09 9:30 am

If we need a stop-gap solution, I have an ABN available (my wife's business) and I'm sort of committed to geocaching for the immediate future...

Obviously, if the Taswegians have the required authority, they've already got the money!

As to nameservers: no idea, sorry. Is that just software that runs on our server?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 July 09 10:00 am

Don't worry about the name servers, we can nerdify that fix.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 23 July 09 9:59 pm

The Taswegians sounds like the best answer, as long as they are okay with it.

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 23 July 09 10:15 pm

Our GTi AGM is soon I will ask
Last edited by pjamesk on 24 July 09 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blind Betty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Blind Betty » 24 July 09 12:05 am

I'm happy for it to be a GTi thing. We'll check at the meeting. :)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 July 09 7:18 am

My understanding is that there is no legal obligations to owning a domain, it's just registration requirement of auDA that an entitiy exists before it can be issues with a .com.au, to do this they only need an ABN or some number you get when you incorporate an organisation (a wise man told me that).
Theres effectivley zero risk to GTi if they accept the role of 'keeper of the domain'

And I'll love them all for ever and ever, and if that is not motivation enough, then...well, notjhing would be :lol:

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 24 July 09 12:59 pm

[Putting on the Mr Prez hat....]

The office bearers have started an email discussion and those that have replied are for it.
I'm waiting for some other replies to come through before announcing our official position.

[Hat off]

I can't see it being a problem even if we kick it off and then handball it to someone else in the future IF need be.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 September 09 7:41 am

I have an ABN and several .com.au's, half a dozen .com's and even a couple of .nsw.edu.au and .edu.au domain names.

I don't mind being name holder and guardian of the domain names if you need someone.

It's the least I could do for the community. Geocaching has done a lot for me over the years.

I'm administering them all the time.

Regards

Bronze.
Swampy has my details.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 06 March 10 2:27 pm

It is possible to register a .com.au domain without an ABN or a company name - I have one that bears no resemblance to any company or business I own. One of my companies is an agent for an Australian domain registration service. http://domains.teletrak.com.au