Temporary Senate/ Sponsorship Working group

Geocaching Australia governance issues
highrod
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by highrod » 05 October 08 8:33 pm

I'd like to show my support for roundcircle as part of the subcommittee representing local cachers in western victoria.

totalube
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 05 October 08 9:33 pm

My spiel;

I have only been caching for over a year, but am very keen. I have not found any GCA caches, but there are not many to be found in Brisbane (I did find Frances, but didn't sign log, I have posted a note).

I try to take care in my hides and care about this hobby and want to make sure that it maintains financial security, and if that is by sponsorship then the sponsor has some relevance to geocaching, be beneficial to GCA and geocaching in general and meets my ethical ideals.

As for me, I have been a research scientist for 15+ years and have managed laboratories and trained staff. I have also had experience in running a not for profit organisation as the vice commodore (president) of the Uni of Qld Sailing club dealing with operational aspects.

winglen
10000 or more caches found

Post by winglen » 06 October 08 10:48 am

Our apologies for not picking up on this thread and the nomination earlier. I've been out doing a couple of remote caches on mountain tops, a long way from email and the forum. Also the email asking whether we would accept somehow went into our junk box and we overlooked it, until a phone call put us on track.

We're humbled by the nomination thank you. We don't have the number of years experience as some others nominated in other states (two years caching by January 2009) but we're keen (obsessed might be a better word!). We accept the nomination but don't really want to go to an election. Give us a few hours and we'll have a chat off line with Bewilderbeest and come to an agreement as to who represents the ACT.

I see others have indicated their background. We mostly cache together (husband and wife), have covered all states and are active in keeping in touch with other ACT cachers. We both work in a govt dept, Mr Winglen with extensive business experience managing acquisitions, processes, budgets etc. He's a graduate of the Company Director's course which might be useful. While I (Mrs) don't have the same depth of experience, I have 12 or so years on the committee of a community group that has grappled with issues of funding, how to keep ourselves running and remain true to the ideals of the organisation. Sponsorship to some is seen as selling out, to others as being realistic. So I understand how the debate is likely to pan out with wide variation of opinion, and I think this working group is an excellent idea.

We'll speak with Bewilderbeest and whoever is keenest and seems to have the best background, we'll agree and let you know.
Last edited by winglen on 06 October 08 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 06 October 08 1:13 pm

I've been in touch with Winglen about representation for the ACT. I'm happy to stand aside and throw my support behind them to be the Senate-nominee for the ACT.

Cheers,
Pete

winglen

Post by winglen » 06 October 08 1:25 pm

Further to Bewilderbeest's note, consensus reached in the ACT. Mr W and Bewilderbeest had a discussion over the phone - found a lot of common ideas I think, and we accept the nomination.

Look forward to hearing more about the proposals for the future of GCA, and to consulting across the ACT (and Queanbeyan! ...Contraversial sometimes, but we count them as part of the ACT crowd because they are to all intents) to see what our local membership feels and wants.

SS, thank you for your vote of confidence.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 October 08 10:40 pm

Updated summary of those who have nominated (and accepted).

Code: Select all

State     Cacher     GCA Hidden GCA Found Total Hidden Total Found Years Experience
WA     Papa Bear_Left     0        17         91           799         5 to 6
NSW    richary            4        77         21          2006         5 to 6
NSW    Pesky! (GeoMonkeys) 21      85        106           717         7 to 8  
VIC    Rhinogeo           0        28         25          1441         5 to 6
VIC    roundcircle        1        15          7           402         2 to 3
SA     Jardry             0         2         33           313         1 to 2
TAS    pjamesk            0         3         26           139         2 to 3
TAS    Snuva              4       128         58          1135         4 to 5
QLD    totalube           0         0         22           491         1 to 2
QLD    zactyl            16        38         32           197         5 to 6
ACT    winglen            0        21         22          1414         1 to 2

VIC  caughtatwork        33        42         99          1567         4 to 5
TAS  CraigRat            15        47         37           523         4 to 5
NSW  riblit               5        48         38           327         6 to 7
I would like to get the Senate going this week, maybe Wednesday or Thursday (depending on my life. Life, oh that's right I had a life at one point BC (before caching)).

There are 14 nominations with 2 from each of Victoria, NSW and Tasmania (excluding the developers). That's not too many to deal with, so unless anyone else is going to nominate, I would like to call a close to nominations and maybe just go with what we have. Save the additional problems of "voting" and it being a "popularity contest" etc.

If we're all relatively happy with the proposed Senate makeup, I would also like to propose that a simple "majority" (including developers) decision would rule.

If the 8 (ore more) of 14 say YES, then we progress to the next step*.
If 7 of 14 say yes, we talk some more and offer bribes (just joking).
If 6 of 14 say yes, then the motion is defeated and we walk away.

* Next Step:
Ummm. Not sure whether we talk some more with the marketers find out what exactly we're looking at and then start the process to create an entity or something else.

I'm making this up (I hope reasonably) as we go along and I know I'm being a but pushy, but we've had a talk fest on the idea of a "Friends of Geocaching Australia" for a while and nothing has happened, so a bit of a push along might be just the thing we need.

Is there a legal person who plays the game who can offer us some pro-bono work if we asked them to help create the FoGCA or look over the contract?

Thanks for your patience in all of this. I know that I really appreciate the open communications that are happening without any animosity whatsoever.

If you have questions that you want answered (except the name of the sponsor, their product or other things that could lead you to draw a conclusion as to who they are), please feel free to jump in and ask.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 October 08 11:18 pm

I think we can go with what we have here. The people who are interested have expressed that. And the group isn't too big to be unworkable. A couple of people may feel they missed out due to being away for school holidays but that sort of thing happens and they can always contact their local Senator to express their concerns.

The only "state" we don't have representation from is NT but I know there aren't that many people there and if someone wants to volunteer I hope they can be accomodated at a later date.

We seem to have a good balance of people and experience willing to participate in the debate. From old timers (I guess I qualify with the most finds) to people who have found under 200. A good balance of cachers and experiences.

As for the formal side of it down the track, I believe we will need a legal entity to enter into an agreement (if that is the way the vote goes). But that is where we need a spare legal eagle who is on ths site to help out (or spend money creating an association). I have always said I wouldn't be part of a state based organisation as we need a national one, so would put my hand up to help if we need to create GCA Inc (or whatever).

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 07 October 08 8:57 am

With approval from those that have already made donations.

Perhaps the cost of creating the entity could come from those donations. The entity should be registered as a national association.

Likewise, if no GCA member is a legal eagle in their other life, some of the funds could be used to obtain a legal opinion on the proposed sponsorship and assist in the creation of the new entity.

If need be, I am also happy to put my hand to assist in the task to create GCA Inc, or FoGCA.

totalube

Post by totalube » 07 October 08 9:13 am

Should we have a new thread where the senators can field questions and gather opinions from other people. That may be better than every senator answering PMs from everyone. The more other GCA members that post their opinion and ask questions the more informed decision we can make.

We may all have our personal views on the matter and ultimately we will know all about the deal and make the decision on whether to go ahead, we should try and see what other people think.

If people could ask questions, statements about types of sponsorships deal they are OK with, deal they could never support, etc. This will give the senators an idea what others are thinking. The more we have the better.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 October 08 10:42 am

There have been loads of questions in the Sponsorship thread. I propose we start with that list and ask that any other questions also be posted there.

If you want to PM your Senator for privacy reasons, please do so.

Good points by totalube. What DON'T you want may be a good position to present as well.

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 07 October 08 12:35 pm

I for one am happy with the list as it stands

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 08 October 08 12:03 am

Out of SA. I would suggest that the following are highly looked at.

Alex

Freddo (the one and only)

Team Astro

Skippy & lambchops

All well conversed and knowledgable GC & GCA members who have been around for ages, and have a lot of finds and efforts for GC & GCA to their names.

Victoria I would suggest

Maccamob

Embi

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 October 08 8:59 pm

The Senators who have confirmed their nominations have been granted access to a hidden forum for discussions of a confidential and commercial nature and I must say that questions are flying thick and fast.

At this stage nominations are closed for this temporary senate.

If you have a question post it in the appropriate thread (either the one in the Senate forum or the state forum).

If you want to ask questions privately, PM your senator.

Richary

Post by Richary » 08 October 08 10:57 pm

We are certainly discussing vigorously in there. And I don't see it as just representing NSW for my part. Am happy to take input from anyone (SA and any other state) if anyone wants to PM me.