Sponsorship Opportunity

Geocaching Australia governance issues
PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 December 08 1:45 am

Thanks for the updates and the careful consideration of all points affecting what must be a difficult decision.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 08 7:40 am

All things being equal we have around $4,500 AUD which is around $3,000USD. This should be sufficient for the first year. In the not too distant future you'll see the thermometer on the front page drop and you'll know how much we spent. It will then be a case of getting the thermometer back up to the right line in time for next years renewal fees.

Sit tight for now and see what happens in the next couple of week.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 December 08 3:03 pm

Nothing has happened since our last response on 1-Dec-2008. We have had no contact from anyone. Whether this is due to silly season or not, I can't be sure.

The site developers have decided that we are progressing with a new server. i! are determining the logistics to set up and then we're off. Probably in the new year, just in time for Xmas GPS units to come on line :-)

If we get a response from the potential sponsor we will review our options at that time.

Thanks for your patience.

Post by Guest » 13 December 08 3:48 pm

Which sponsor are you speaking of, because the offer I mentioned before still stands, but it sounds like you're still planning to lease a server in the US... *confused*

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 December 08 5:01 pm

I believe i! contacted the people you suggested, twice, and received nary a pixel in response.

The server I'm talking about is a leased one in the US in the same location as the current machine. This will enable us to have a dedicated webserver and a 1/2 db engine.

ideology

Post by ideology » 13 December 08 5:47 pm

df2, we finally made contact thanks to you forwarding our emails to him. he emailed us on 11 nov, we responded but never heard anything back. we'll PM you the emails.

Post by Guest » 13 December 08 6:21 pm

ideology wrote:df2, we finally made contact thanks to you forwarding our emails to him. he emailed us on 11 nov, we responded but never heard anything back. we'll PM you the emails.
Not sure if it's a spam prevention issue or what, but he didn't receive anything, that's why I gave you his phone number and said if you had any problems ring him *grin*

In any case I forwarded the latest messages, maybe I need to play piggy in the middle here just to make sure the spam filters don't eat things they shouldn't.

As for an answer you can deff have 1 RU, and most likely 2 without much problem, waiting to hear from David but will confirm when I do.

Post by Guest » 13 December 08 6:32 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I believe i! contacted the people you suggested, twice, and received nary a pixel in response.

The server I'm talking about is a leased one in the US in the same location as the current machine. This will enable us to have a dedicated webserver and a 1/2 db engine.
No idea what happened to his email, but he wasn't being ignored on purpose I can assure you of that, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested buying rack mount equipment.

Post by Guest » 13 December 08 6:35 pm

Speaking of rack gear, quote this week for an IBM quad cpu xeon for about $1200, from the same lot I posted the details about previously, so you can still buy really really good gear for next to nothing. Quad cpu is more expensive than quad core, but the quote was more for redundency than cost savings, one cpu dies you still have 3 others, 1 quad core cpu dies, you don't have much in the way of options.

Also as I said before there is other hosting options if this one doesn't suit, like WAIA, have some contact here somewhere, they're the non-profit that runs WAIX, and of course can probably find some contact details of a pipe guy too if need be...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 December 08 10:10 pm

Thanks df2. I'll let i! run with this for the moment as he will be doing the hardware work. Let's keep this thread about sponsorship, so we'll keep our posts about the servers in the other thread if that's OK.

Post by Guest » 14 December 08 12:23 am

caughtatwork wrote:Thanks df2. I'll let i! run with this for the moment as he will be doing the hardware work. Let's keep this thread about sponsorship, so we'll keep our posts about the servers in the other thread if that's OK.
Well I'm happy to post where ever, it just sort of came up, sorry.

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 17 January 09 10:04 pm

Any news on the sponsorship issue? Or has it died?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 09 11:09 pm

The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead.
[a man puts a body on the cart]
Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.
The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.
The Dead Collector: What?
Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.
The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not.
The Dead Collector: He isn't.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better.
Large Man with Dead Body: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
The Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I don't want to go on the cart.
Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, don't be such a baby.
The Dead Collector: I can't take him.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel fine.
Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.
The Dead Collector: I can't.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
The Dead Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, when's your next round?
The Dead Collector: Thursday.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I think I'll go for a walk.
Large Man with Dead Body: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel happy. I feel happy.
[the Dead Collector glances up and down the street furtively, then silences the Body with his a whack of his club]
Large Man with Dead Body: Ah, thank you very much.
The Dead Collector: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
Large Man with Dead Body: Right.

I'm awaiting a final response from the sponsor. I'll give them a hurry up next week and then we'll declare a position.

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 17 January 09 11:13 pm

Thanks (and that really was quite funny!)

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 18 January 09 3:33 pm

Q: Is this deal dead?

A: No, but it was coughin' up blood last night!