Google Maps 'Bike There' Feature Request

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Google Maps 'Bike There' Feature Request

Post by Aushiker » 27 February 08 3:12 pm

G'day

You are encouraged to consider signing a petition to get Google to add a "Bike There" feature to their online mapping service. The petition can be found at http://googlemapsbikethere.org/

I am sure there are some of us who ride bikes to caches.

Regards
Andrew

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 27 February 08 3:59 pm

There are some of us.
This would be a useful feature if its done properly!

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

yeah right

Post by If » 27 February 08 6:38 pm

This idea might work in Europe where bicycles are a common and respected form of transport. But here in OZ bicycling is seen by the general community as a nuisance. Motorists seem to think they have a right to try to scare cyclists off the roads by just missing them or cutting them off, belive they won't be held responsible if they do actually hit one and think that a cyclist will just bounce off their vehicle if hit with a glancing blow :cry:
I would not like to encourage anyone onto a bike in Brizzy. The so called bike friendly Brisbane is a myth :shock:
Ask any one who regularly rides around town :roll:
There, I've said it. I feel better now after my numerous close calls on Gympie road today chasing caches :D

Team Wibble

Re: yeah right

Post by Team Wibble » 27 February 08 10:09 pm

If wrote:This idea might work in Europe where bicycles are a common and respected form of transport. But here in OZ bicycling is seen by the general community as a nuisance. Motorists seem to think they have a right to try to scare cyclists off the roads by just missing them or cutting them off, belive they won't be held responsible if they do actually hit one and think that a cyclist will just bounce off their vehicle if hit with a glancing blow :cry:
I would not like to encourage anyone onto a bike in Brizzy. The so called bike friendly Brisbane is a myth :shock:
There, I've said it. I feel better now after my numerous close calls on Gympie road today chasing caches :D
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

They didn't publish the second comment I made in response to some of the comments on this news article. Not surprising, I was pretty angry....

Adelaide SHOULD be bike friendly, with the Tour Down Under and whatnot. But its not. The motorist anger towards cyclists just seems to get worse and worse :evil:

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 28 February 08 6:46 am

There is already a bike map of the ACT you can get from the Canberra Connect office for free! That being said, Canberra does offer a actual network of bike paths to most places, with road riding reserved for in the suburbs, and those seem to prefer to ride on the road when there is a bike path running parallel to them about a meter away.

Another great thing that has happened recently in the ACT to encourage bicycle riding is that the public bus company here, ACTION, has installed bike racks on the fronts of all their newer buses, and if you 'Bike & Ride' you don't have to pay!

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 29 February 08 11:24 pm

If wrote:This idea might work in Europe where bicycles are a common and respected form of transport. But here in OZ bicycling is seen by the general community as a nuisance. Motorists seem to think they have a right to try to scare cyclists off the roads by just missing them or cutting them off, belive they won't be held responsible if they do actually hit one and think that a cyclist will just bounce off their vehicle if hit with a glancing blow :cry:
And I thought you liked riding on our safe Brizzy streets. :roll:

Now what about that Glorious place you found to ride free of idiots? :idea:

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 06 March 08 2:46 pm

Another site that I found is http://www.bikely.com/ it appears to work like open source mapping by people supplying track logs 8)

basscadetz
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by basscadetz » 07 March 08 1:06 pm

as an avid cyclist, bike messenger, and bike builder, i would not suggest to discourage anyone from riding in ANY city because its unsafe. the more people riding, the more awareness will come. how can one be aware of something that doesnt exist? safety is also defined personally. if you ride responsibly, with all precautions taken, you should be fine. (wearing a helmet, following street laws, lights, reflectors, and so on)

in all the years ive been riding, in 6 different countries, ive only been hit once, and it was my fault.

just my 2 cents!!!

basscadetz
be free, ride!

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 07 March 08 1:27 pm

basscadetz, given your interest in cycling you might want to check out the Bicycles Network Australia forums.

Andrew

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 16 March 08 12:25 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Adelaide SHOULD be bike friendly, with the Tour Down Under and whatnot. But its not. The motorist anger towards cyclists just seems to get worse and worse :evil:
They are all killers and they are sitting in the murder weapon.

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 16 March 08 9:13 pm

Freddo wrote:
They are all killers and they are sitting in the murder weapon.
I agree but it seems like these drivers are just unlucky. I mean is it really their fault if they are drunk and/or unlicensed and happen to kill a cyclist then leave them there to die on the side of the road or drag them for 2 kays underneath their vehicle?

And justice:?:... well you can do serious time for killing someone but not if they are on a bike! :evil: :evil: :evil: For example: You can be a successful lawyer and keep your job (and freedom) even after killing someone on a bike and then, being a total coward, run away.

It's time for law reform!!!!!

Crikey :shock:
Rant ends.