Off to Heron

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Off to Heron

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 19 February 08 9:59 am

I have decided to treat Mrs Bundy to a surprise visit to Heron Island for our 20th anniversary. AFAIK, its a complete surprise for her. I collect her from work in about 1/2 hr time. She thinks we are off to Hervey Bay to see our youngest daughter for a few days.

20 years ago, as part of our honeymoon, we bareboated the Whitsundays for 7 night, and ended up stuck at Hamilton Island for 4 of them, due to an impending cyclone. Due to the thrilling ride on our last day, where we sailed our yacht back from Hamilton to Shute Harbour (we were the only vessel on the passage that day, apart from a container ship- the seas were that huge even the big cats were not crossing) she now has a bit of an aversion to boating in anything other than dead flat stuff.

Today, for the trip over, it seems we are faced with 2-3 metre swells, and the possibility of a cyclone forming off the coast.

This is going to be fun.

Cheers
Bundy

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 19 February 08 9:48 pm

Good 4 U! :D Mr NANKS and I went to Heron Island MANY years ago for our honeymoon. We returned a number of times during their 'Free Diving in June' offers. 8) Most of our diving has been done off Heron Island. It holds many happy memories for us. One day when the boys are older we would love to take them there too. :P <br><br> I hope the crossing was calm enough for you both! We'll wait to hear how you went! :)

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 19 February 08 10:41 pm

hmmmmmm....i sense a cache hiding trip. :lol:

mm

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 20 February 08 8:16 pm

Congratulations Bundyrumandcoke on your anniversary - we hope you have a great time on Heron Island :P

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 23 February 08 7:26 pm

Yeah, well, the crossing was rough, so rough that the ferry was cancelled, and we had to upgrade to a chopper transfer.

By the end of the first 1/2 day, we had decided to stay for an extra night.

The highlights, Mrs Bundy snorkling for the first time, then both of us snorkling in front of the resort, mingling with the sharks and rays and the fish. Then going snorkling from a boat over the reef.

Then last night, witnessing a clutch of baby turtles emerging from the sand, and making the dash for the water, then less than 100 metres away, watching a female turtle digging a nest, and laying eggs.

Some nice pics taken, which I will post up when I get them developed.

Overall, a brilliant timne had, and Mrs Bundy very happy. Cost did blow out to twice what I paid, but fortunately, I am currenntly in the position to not be terribly worried about that issue.

And yes, The Ump will be getting a PM re a cache.

Cheers
Bundy