Geocaching Association of Australia Inc.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 13 February 08 9:23 pm

Team Piggy wrote:It would be very interesting to perhaps note and report on the formalities required so other states can have an idea on what to expect?
Yes please, I was reading all of the posts here but once it turned over to NSW only, (and I understand why and thats cool) I started to ignore the posts but please do report on your progress.
Andrew

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 February 08 10:43 pm

Is it possible to explain why it is best to set up a state based organisation rather than a national one? As mentioned before with our radio club the fact it is incorporated in Victoria places no limit on where committee members or ordinary members can be - we have a number of overseas members.

Personally I would prefer to support a national organisation rather than a state one. If you would like a copy of our constitution as a guide to starting let me know and I can email you a PDF copy.

weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by weewillie » 14 February 08 12:28 pm

richary wrote: Personally I would prefer to support a national organisation rather than a state one.
Ditto

I belong to a national medieval recreation society that's incoporated in SA and we have Officers from across Australia and with this wonderful new tool called the "internet" :P it works fine

To through another idea into the pot, is there enough cachers in each state (and territory for that matter) to have an association in each state and have a national (international if we want to work with the NZ people) co-ordinating body?

WeeWillie

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 14 February 08 6:19 pm

Welcome to the joys of living in a country that is a product of the states.

To form a national body you need to incorporate in a state and then register with ASIC for national recognition. While it isn't impossible, it is more paper work and money.

If we skipped the ASIC step, members outside of the state that the association is registered do not have the same right and protections as those within.

The focus at the moment is getting a state-based one in NSW and the other in Tasmania. Over time, a national umbrella body, which doesn't have to be incorporated, could be formed.

In NZ they don't have the complex state-federal system we have, therefore it was easier for them.

Regarding constitution, I have a copy of the NSW models laws for association which it will be based on.

If you have thoughts on the role of the NSW association, such as objectives, please post them in the NSW section of the forums.