Caches you remember

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Doobie doo3
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Caches you remember

Post by Doobie doo3 » 03 February 08 9:31 am

This is a topic for all cachers out there who have come across some great caches, or ones that bring back memories. It can be your first cache, or one that you just really loved.
It shall be interesting to hear about them.
doobie doo3 :D

pprass
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 04 February 08 9:50 am

Ahhh! Memorable and/or great caches! Our memorable and great caches are the ones that were ridiculously difficult in terrain and on top of that there was some obstacle that made searching for the cache even more difficult.

However if we had to pick just one it would be this one:

GCN9RR The Dash before XMAS (and then after) by embi
It was part of the Dash for Cash event and embi (the mongrel) found a type of jigsaw puzzle that had about 210 pieces, six sides and no picture - just blank apart from the co-ords that embi had written in texta on both sides. You had to find the puzzle, assemble it on site and then go and find the cache. So what we decided to do was to gather a few teams to work together on it - even the owner came out to watch!

Here is our log:
"What an adventure this cache turned out to be. Full of intrigue, companionship, frustration, ingenuity and finally utter and blissful joy.
Word had got around that three D4C teams were going to be working on the puzzle at the same time. Embi & J saw this as a perfect way of getting a days entertainment so they also turned up with their mega fancy barbecue and camping chairs and quietly sat in the back observing the circus. A couple of associated cachers also joined in. So at around 12.15pm there were Biggles Bear, maccamob, pprass, GeoJo and Juzmac working on this puzzle on two picnic tables on the side of the road with Embi & J observing. We were making some headway, but then at around 1.45pm a huge rain storm hit us which saw us scurrying back to our vehicles with the puzzle in hand. We needed a more secure location to work this thing out and as our daughter lives in Ocean Grove, we quickly worked out a plan to reconvene at her place and set up the gear in the garage. (appologies for anyone else trying to locate the cache at that time, but a quick call to Embi would have sorted that out). So by about 2.10pm we were again hard at it and Embi & J had the mega super barbecue fired up for us.
We worked at it solidly all afternoon with hardly any hints from Embi - even though we tried to get the pity factor to work for us, but it was of no use - actually it worked against us as Embi started to feel even more pleased with himself. At around 6.30pm, Embi & J left us feeling that the cache was safe for a long time to come, but we battled on and even in our state of exhaustion with backs aching from having to bend over for 6 hours, we started to make out some information that was a possibility. At 7.30pm armed with a co-ordinate that we had painfully hammered out, we descended onto "our" GZ with torches and mixed feelings. Then after just 2 or 3 minutes searching, Cat calls out that she found it! We run over to where she was standing and there was immediate joy and laughter and relief. What a find! What an ordeal! This will go down as one of the classics in our time. Thanks to all who participated, it was the most enjoyable (and exhausting) time we have ever had caching. The camaraderie, fun, support, banter and of coarse success was what we believe this D4C game was meant to foster and it certainly has for us. And of coarse thanks to Embi & J for the nearly impossible cache and for your moral support during yesterdays event."

It should be explained that the co-ord that we had "painfully hammered out" after 7 hours was just fragments of numbers. We were confident with most of the south co-ord. but we didn't have much of an idea of the east co-ord - just part of the degrees from memory - no minutes or decimal minutes. On top of that some of the pieces of the puzzle were missing after a previous cacher had a gust of wind throw the puzzle into the bushes.
So what we did is we ran the south line on Discover Aus and came across a park that looked like it could be a possibility. We had just one shot at this as we had to dismantle the puzzle and return it before going home. It was dark when we got to the location. We had a line of about 150m to search so you can understand that we had this feeling that we had just wasted a whole day. Anyway within a minute or two c-pprass looks into a bush and bingo! You should have heard the screams of delight and disbelief - a magical moment.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 February 08 9:00 pm

I will second pprass' comments. Usually those that take effort to get to and achieve. That might be the end of a serious 4WD trip like GCKKV3 The Travelling Six up at Coongie Lakes in SA, or ones with a serious physical effort like GCYB2C Mount Royal Run in NSW I did on the long weekend. As long as it takes me somewhere special.

For an urban or semi-urban cache, GCJQT2 Staircase by miray in Adelaide gets my vote for the effort made to conceal it.

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 05 February 08 12:41 pm

edited to remove double post
Last edited by Postman Pat on 05 February 08 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postman Pat

Post by Postman Pat » 05 February 08 1:22 pm

For me it would have to be Buckleys GCH4HR By Bronze & Mix as I normally Cache by myself it was good to get out with others to see how its done by the Experts.Of course spending time with friends and having good weather is always a bonus :lol:

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 05 February 08 3:10 pm

My most memorable is a fairly recent* one, GC12APC, Godfrey has landed. This cache involved a 10km round trip in kayaks along the Coorong from the mouth of the Murray River. It was just me and Mrs Uni, on a calm, warm morning, in a very peaceful and beautiful area. It doesn't get any better than that.

* Possibly due to my short term memory problems**

** According to the note, in my handwriting, I found by my bed this morning

If

Committed

Post by If » 11 February 08 9:16 pm

I'm with the postman on this one. Gotta be Buckleys for me 8)
It was so much fun to try to chase down a cache with absolutely no idea how long or how much effort would be involved in actually finding it :shock:
I had three and a half months off work and made it the priority cache to find. I figured I had enough time up my sleeve :D

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 12 February 08 1:16 pm

Our most memorable cache was that one in.. was it Sydney? Or Christchurch? Maybe Albany? Anyway, the one with the container that looked like a rock. Or a stump. Or something. And it had the thingy.. whatsit.. in it as a FTF prize or logbook holder or something.

That was a great cache!