Cameras in Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Cameras in Caches

Post by TeamAstro » 15 January 08 4:40 pm

The camera in Jupiter (GCAAC5) was placed in the cache in 11/1/2002 and recovered in Oct 04 - some 2 years later, The film was slightly water affected, but was still OK and was developed and some interesting shots are now there on that cache website.

My first placed cache, Comet Eregunda (GCAAC6) camera was placed in the cache on 20/10/2002 and has just been recovered by "The Vikings" (with thanks :) ) on Dec 30 2007, some 5 years later after it was placed in the field.

Unfortunately, the film emulsion was destroyed. It was very brittle, so when the film was rolled out of its canister, it the emulsion part basically fell of the film base, and was hence lost.

Sorry to all who have gone to the trouble to smile in front of this disposable.

Lessons:
  • * normal disposable may last 2 years at best in the filed (Jupiter experience)
    * water proof cameras must be better at keeping moisture out
    * Vivitar water proof digitals (fixed focal) could be a better type of camera for a cache (read cheapest I have seen at time of writing)
Clear skies, TeamAstro :shock:

PS, if you are heading up there, or know someone who is, I'll supply a waterproof digital for the cache. I know digitals have come a long way since 2002 - some may argue what's the point these days when we all have phonecams and can post pics very easily - why wait. But that's another thread maybe.... :idea:

the camera:

the brittle film