cache idea

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
evil_hitman
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

cache idea

Post by evil_hitman » 24 April 04 10:21 pm

I have an idea for a different sort of cache. When people get to certain locations they will have to work out a phone number to ring. they ring that number and get a message explaining where to next or how to work it out. (I have access to the messaging facilities at work. I look after the phone system amongst other things) What do people think of this?

Matt

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 24 April 04 10:29 pm

Sounds like a cool idea as long as it is a local or free call. New ideas are allways good.

rav 4 raiders
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by rav 4 raiders » 25 April 04 1:02 am

I would love to try and hit this one - I would not mind even taking the hit for a National call.
It's all in the name of "Geocaching". :lol:

Varuna
2350 or more caches found

Re: cache idea

Post by Varuna » 25 April 04 3:26 am

evil_hitman wrote: phone number to ring. they ring that number and get a message explaining where to next or how to work it out. (I have access to the messaging facilities at work. I look after the phone system amongst other things) What do people think of this?

Matt
<P>
<P>
As long as text message is to be used ie SMS to mobile number - would be great :) .
<p>

evil_hitman
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by evil_hitman » 25 April 04 7:17 am

nah no text message. It would be a melbourne local number. You ring, and get voicemail. voicemail will tell you what to do.

Matt

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 25 April 04 9:55 am

Spooky - Sounds fun though.

Bronze.

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 25 April 04 11:36 am

<p>I see. That will be disadvantage for the hearing impaired geocachers. They use their mobiles for the text messages. Perhaps you can think of something better :?:

The S's
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by The S's » 25 April 04 12:10 pm

Sounds like a great idea and I was thinking of something similar for Canberra. 8)

I first saw the idea in the Uk Geospeak forum. Somebody over there tried a similar idea but using sms, it might worth looking at how they went with their cache.

The forum link is: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... opic=68090

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 25 April 04 12:42 pm

I was thinking of doing one were some waypoints were websites.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 25 April 04 8:06 pm

I like the idea. We've done it with email addresses, but we've never had the facilities for a dedicated voicemail.

Varuna; I understand where you're coming from, but it's not really any different to a cache requiring, say, climbing skills or a boat or whatever, as long as it's spelled out in the description.

(Besides, Sp00k can make the call! 8-)} )

evil_hitman
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by evil_hitman » 25 April 04 8:33 pm

Varuna wrote:<p>I see. That will be disadvantage for the hearing impaired geocachers. They use their mobiles for the text messages. Perhaps you can think of something better :?:
As someone once told me "you can't please all the people all the time"
With voicemail i can do it at no fiscal cost to myself nor the company i work for (whilst i have around 200 phone numbers i can use).

With SMS services there are costs associated with hardware setup and on-going service costs including line rental and cost of returning the sms. A cost which i am unable and unwilling to bear.

I do understand where you are coming from. My g/f is partially deaf along with a friends wife who is totally deaf. My g/f is slowly teaching me Auslan. Options for deaf people would include a TTY translation service which i've been told is commonly available now even from mobiles, or like bear_left said get someone who is not hearing impaired to make the call for you. txt them the number, they ring, txt you back with details or better yet bring them along :)

Regards
Matt

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 26 April 04 4:59 am

<p><p>evil_hitman<p>B***** you have blown my cover. :lol:<p>Your point is taken. Australian Communication Exchange is currently developing the Mobile Relay Service for hearing impaired / Deaf people who are Mobile SMS users to converse to any non mobile handset user on the phone.<p><p>Bear-Left<p>You have done your homework! Sp00k is very fortunate to be able to speak on the call, however Ciotach doesnÂ’t, except using text message (both are cochlear implantees and live in Chch, NZ).<p>Those hearing impaired people are very independents and do not wish to impose people to do for them as such as asking them to ring, etc. They use TTY to converse to anyone who are hearing and do not have any TTY machine, via National Relay Service (NRS). Then, SMS came along, it has changed everything and great asset to the hearing impaired / Deaf people who are Auslan users. For further information in relation to NRS, here is www.aceinfo.net.au<p>New Zealand does not have any National Relay Service like one that Australia has (they will set up in 12months time if all goes well). :D <p>

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 April 04 6:15 pm

Only disadvantage I can see is if people get the number wrong and start annoying someone at strange hours of the day and night who has no idea what we are doing.

evil_hitman
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by evil_hitman » 26 April 04 7:28 pm

richary wrote:Only disadvantage I can see is if people get the number wrong and start annoying someone at strange hours of the day and night who has no idea what we are doing.
point taken. I think it would be a case of a true multi cache with the phone numbers written down rather than having to work them out. And if a person rather than an answering service answers quickly hangup :D

Matt