Most number of finds in one day?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Most number of finds in one day?

Post by swampgecko » 24 April 04 8:38 pm

Ok People, I was reading this thread on the secondary site forums and it got me wondering, Who has the record for each state for the most cache finds in one day(equalling a 24hr period)?

The best that I/we have managed was 10 cache finds out of 12 attempted.

Effrem

Post by Effrem » 24 April 04 9:39 pm

I have done 7 in 10 hours
and 6 in 24 (separately)

<p>But that is incredible, 100 in a day</P> :shock:

evil_hitman
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by evil_hitman » 24 April 04 9:49 pm

i have found 11 out of 12 last weekend starting late sat night and finishing late sunday night.
Found 6 out of 8 from 22:30 last night to 6:00 this morning.

About to start the next 24 hour period. going out shortlry and have 10 lined up to do (not sure if i'll get to them all tonight) and then going all day tommorow so will still be part of same 24 hours. :) so with a bit of luck i can raise my 24 hour number. Btw for those who don't know me (which most wont) i found out about geocaching last saturday afternoon. went for my first hunt sat night (as above). I'm well and truely hooked. :)

Matt

And i'm in Victoria

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 24 April 04 10:11 pm

I can remember this coming up ages ago.
I think I said something like:
238 caches in a 24 hour period is 1 cache every 6 mins 3.26 seconds for the full 24 hours, that includes travelling time, writing in logs etc.
If it is true it says a lot for the quality of the cache locations.
Caches have to be at least .1 of a mile or 160 Metres apart. The minimum distance he would have to travel is 23.8 miles or 38.3Km.
If he ran the whole distance at an average of 5km per hour it would take him 7.66 hours and he would be too buggered to pick up a cache.

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 25 April 04 2:20 am

Best I've managed is 11 over 16.5 hours.

From the last log of that day I entered: "Today: over 400km travelled, 7am start 11:30pm finish, wot and I have been caching for 16.5 hours! (including meal breaks :P) Time .. for .. sleep."

Have yet to do a larger caching run than that, but have come close on a few occasions. :)

evil_hitman
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by evil_hitman » 25 April 04 7:16 am

well so far 9 found. we didn't do the 10th as there were (suprisingly) a number of people around one of them. Time for a few hours sleep then back to it.

Matt

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 25 April 04 9:51 am

Before Mix gets in here you better stipulate whether or not your including locationless.

I think I have about three or mabey four perhaps. Can't really remember.

Bronze.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 25 April 04 11:12 am

hmmmm Good Point from the Dubbo mob, our finds were the traditional style of cache, ie: physical. We mainly picked on the traditional caches that day, as we weren't planning on doing multis, the one multi in the group was actually the final stage that I had to complete. I had started i!6 about two weeks prior with Leek.

SO Phyiscal Caches only.

I could have included a locationless one that I did get that day but was very unintented, the speed cam virt that was posted here in the forums awhile ago

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 25 April 04 12:38 pm

I got 5 of 6 traditional in 8 hours one time and 9 Locationless (Reverse) Caches in 6 hours. The locationless ones were easy and I have not really done many since.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 25 April 04 1:33 pm

There are so many factors involved here.
From memory, our best is 8 from 8 in just over 8 hours. But this was years ago when the caches were few and far between in Sydney, using the old techniques (no PDA, pre-plotted maps etc) and doing some hard caches (I think we finished off i!:5 Achillies), so it was a real feat for us. At the time I think it was a record and people wondered how we did it. Now one cache an hour is trivial in Sydney, esp if you just come on the scene now and have a hundred caches to choose from.
Looking at the mass of unfound caches for us on OziExplorer I think we could nab 3 times this during daylight if we really tried hard and did some planing, but whats the point?
We aren't night cachers either, so we bascially stop when the sun goes down.

EcoDave :)

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 April 04 1:59 pm

When I first started (and wanted to do every cache in one day), I managed eight (including an eight step multi - Tourist Tours). Did 10 in a 30 hour period a few weekend's later. That was in the days of ACT geolittering. :lol:

Today, I'm happy to do the odd one or three on a dedicated weekend. Don't want to milk the whole of the ACT.

Come November though, I'm mmilking Hawaii for as many as I can get. I've noticed a lot of the caches around Honolulu are virtuals.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 25 April 04 2:43 pm

Our best has been 15 in a day (in Adelaide), but we know of at least four other teams who have equalled or bettered that with the best being 21 in a day. Pretty sure all were achieved during daylight savings and making full use of the available daylight. Think how long you could keep going in somewhere like UK, with their long summer days.

Varuna
2350 or more caches found
2350 or more caches found

Post by Varuna » 25 April 04 4:01 pm

<p> Interesting - again depending on how many people in a team geocacher made and achieved more quicker and faster than the sole geocacher would have achieved in a day. <p> :idea: Perhaps we should break into 3 different catergories - one for each: sole, (partner) team, and (family) team to see what result would be.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 25 April 04 8:00 pm

We picked up 10 on one day of our recent South South Island trip, but some of these were "drive-by" caches in highway rest stops. We weren't aiming for any "Personal Best" numbers, just wanting to do all the caches in an area that we might not get back to for awhile. We managed to fit a fair bit of driving in there, too!

From the 40-odd we did that week, there's really only half a dozen or so that stand out in my memory, but that's often true no matter how close together you do them...

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 26 April 04 1:17 am

On the "Piggy Eats Victoria" cache trip in April 03, with Team GeoCoopers we nabbed a fair few.
I would have to go back and check the logs/ tracks etc, But I think in 4 days ? we nabbed something like 67+ caches and around 3000+ kms travelled.
I think we nabbed 30-35+ in one day up in the Ballarat & Pyrenees area.
We didnt go for 1/1's either, whatever appeared on the map we went too and had a try, I think Forte's ground was one of the only ones to beat us...
We had no paper cache notes on this trip as well, just ran oziexplorer for maps (Vic 1:25 k) and used html logs of cache pages via autocache.
I personally also did 11 finds and one placed a few days ago, and travelled 950 kms as well, from 0430 am thru 1900 Pm. Oh and 2 hours of work dropped in there as well :P