Choose Darth's Adventure...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should Darth Fellatio...

get out there and do a cache or two (even just a GCA one or two), just to make us realise he's a participant not just
21%
link up his GCA & GC profiles to show us he's an overall enthusisastic cacher
5%
add a clue to Sith(y) Views to make the caching populus bother to go find it... perhaps his GPS was set to a different datum!
32%
duke it out with the Rebel Alliance... and most likely meet his demise :)
42%

Total votes: 19

Partic
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/partic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Partic

Choose Darth's Adventure...

Post by Partic » 02 January 08 10:54 am

Today I'm off once again to try and (most likely unsuccessfully) find GCA cache Sith(y) Views by Darth Fellatio.

Most recently, an attempt to get Darth to identify himself was in this post on etiquitte. I've snapshotted the relevant section of the thread, and open it up to further discussion here, as IMHO Darth Fellatio needs to do something to demonstrate his caches should stay around... mainly as the first one was reasonably mediocre, and secondly as the second one has yet to be found, though I'm sure a determined few have attempted it now.
dak's Emu Mob wrote:
riblit wrote:
Darth Fellatio wrote:
dak's Emu Mob wrote:
Darth Fellatio wrote:
pprass wrote:..................

.................... However and unfortunately when we see a log appear in our inbox from a cacher that we know doesn't take any effort in writing a log, we must admit that we .....................
Name and Shame them :twisted:
Sock puppets not allowed here! How about naming yourself, or are you ashamed to? :twisted:
In the words of a famous sailor Man "I yam who I yam" :P
Hmmmmm! There is no such username on Geocaching.com. So, what is your real geocaching name? Is it Popeye? Apparently not, because he is from California.

So, I challenge you to 'out' yourself, or am I right that you are too ashamed to identify yourself!

Cheers,

dak
Since when does a cacher have to register on gc.com?
Darth has two GCA hides to his name. In my book he is legit.
Sure, you don't need to register on gc.com, but really, in Melbourne, there's enough GCA caches to go and find at some point, which DF has not gone off to do yet after two years, and on the forums, just seems to irritate more than contribute.

Riblit's second comment is interesting. I would think that it's more a case of a cacher having FOUND a few caches that make them legit initially, rather than hiding them... I've heard a number of tales of first time hiders who have not found anything ending up setting the cache in the wrong datum, so the cache will not be found as it's 160m out.

So I put the poll above to you all, and in the Court Of Popular Opinion on the GCA forums, invite Darth Fellatio to get out there and get caching!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 January 08 11:21 am

You are taking my comment out of context. It was in response to Daks assertion that one has to have the same name on GC.com to be a " cacher".
There are a lot of cachers here that use different names on each site. Granted, most eventually link them, but that's more for their convenience than something mandatory.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 02 January 08 1:44 pm

I think I'm detecting some obsessive behaviour here Partic :wink: :wink:
<P>
I nearly had a go for this one night a couple of months back - I had to pick up my son from Vodaphone and had parked right near the bridge with (what I thought would be) half an hour to spare. I checked out 1 spot and was just moving under the bridge when I got the phone call that he was leaving and so I had to break off and meet him. I doubt whether too many would have had a go at this - most people log dnfs (I'd like to think so anyway).
<P>
Anyway, good luck with the search - if you find it, maybe you can celebrate by going and finding "Cranbourne Meteorites" - now that's a real challenge (and it's one of your own) :wink: :wink: .
<P>
PS I didn't cast a vote - I don't think the poll is really relevant to this situation.

Partic
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/partic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Partic

Post by Partic » 02 January 08 3:31 pm

riblit wrote:You are taking my comment out of context. It was in response to Daks assertion that one has to have the same name on GC.com to be a " cacher".
There are a lot of cachers here that use different names on each site. Granted, most eventually link them, but that's more for their convenience than something mandatory.
Point taken - and I agree that you don't need to be the same name on all sites, and that being on any of the sites is a long way towards being a cacher.

I'm on GC as that's where most of the cahces are, on GCA because it's easier to search for Australian caches on there... plus the stats... plus the forums. And from there, linking profiles is a logical optional feature to use.

Unfortunately, Darth's mysteriousness is more of a nuisance, and I'd prefer them to positively interact with the community, do a few caches, and get as much out of geocaching as the rest of us tend to.
Geodes wrote:I think I'm detecting some obsessive behaviour here Partic
Well, um, yes.

Sith(y) Views is the only Traditional within 12km of my place that is older than a few weeks (and the new one in Collingwood will be mine later tonight too) that I've not found.

I've logged 3 DNF's and have looked at it about another 5 times when having 20min to spare here and there. By now, most cache owners will have taken pity and handed over some resemblance of a clue.
Geodes wrote:if you find it, maybe you can celebrate by going and finding "Cranbourne Meteorites"
Good news on that one - which was on my email list for today - I'm headed down to replace the Meteorites next week with a larger and better positioned container, as the logs as you're aware have consistently gone between finds and dnf's in recent times.

Teglian
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Teglian » 02 January 08 3:48 pm

Partic wrote:
riblit wrote:
I'm on GC as that's where most of the cahces are, on GCA because it's easier to search for Australian caches on there... plus the stats... plus the forums. And from there, linking profiles is a logical optional feature to use.
Lol, for me it's the forums. I think stick to one name (even if it's been taken on GCA, you can always put a number on the end), that way if you ever bump into someone while they're out caching you know if you've been chatting to them on the forums or if you see them later on the forums you can say hello... more of a get to know your fellow cacher kinda thing (especially their faces).

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 02 January 08 5:21 pm

As to what defines a "cacher" is subject to personal opinion. In my personal opinion, he is <i>not</i> a cacher. Planting a couple of GCA caches doesn't qualify someone as a cacher, especially when one of them was placed just 2m from an existing cache. That is the action of a mischief-maker, not a cacher! Of course, peoples' opinions vary, and others will disagree with mine.
<p>
What I object to most is the choice of GCA name. It is completely inappropriate in a family-oriented pastime, and should have been stood on as soon as it appeared. I wonder how many cachers out there would enjoy explaining the meaning of that name to their eight-year-old daughters?
<p>
Once again, I challenge him to identify himself, and to change his offensive choice of GCA name. The fact that he is not prepared to identify himself vindicates my opinion about the name. He is obviously too ashamed to identify himself. He's not a cacher; just an offensive presence on this Forum.
<p>
Let the discussion flow! Come on! Let's hear someone justify his choice of GCA name. Let's see <i>him</i> attempt to justify it. Let's hear from others who find it offensive. Let's see the moderators ban him from GCA. My justification for this last is the following extract from the Geocaching Australia Registration Agreement Terms:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.
<p>
It seems to me that his GCA name is obscene, vulgar, and sexually-oriented. Three strikes: you're out! "Free and open" doesn't mean free to be openly offensive.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 January 08 6:05 pm

...or of course you can go to the listings of the 2 caches, click on Ignore and then get on with your lives.

On a side note, the cacher in question does not appear to be a sock puppet account (going by IP addresses of postings) and does not log in much.

People like this thrive on the notoriety they build up for themselves. Ignore them and they usually vanish.

My 0.02

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 January 08 9:39 pm

I suppose my 2 cents here (probably only woth half that but anyway). Like others I found his first cache. Wasn't that easy as I recall though I did log as a quick find (was a while back) but it was there. So that assumes he knows how to set the datum correctly.

Yes I agree the name is inappropriate, however I seem to remember when it first came out there was correspondence about it but nothing happened. And I can't be bothered getting into politics. It's something for those that moderate the site to decide is appropriate or not. Glad I didnt have kids along with me who asked what the cacher name meant though.

Geof

Post by Geof » 02 January 08 10:10 pm

....would enjoy explaining the meaning of that.....
Well I thought it was some scifi stuff till someone made a big deal and I googled :oops: :shock:

I agree with Craigrat 100%

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 03 January 08 12:04 am

How Darth plays the game and interacts with others is his/hers business. If the caches aren't to people's liking, then they will vote with their lack of finds/hunts.

However, I do agree that the name is inappropriate for this forum and should be changed.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 03 January 08 3:51 am

I'm surprised anyones 8 year old daughter is asking for an explanation of Darth's name (unless it's with a knowing grin :roll: ). I would be disappointed if the forum became moderated to a 8+ standard.
I think the name is amusing, and hardly likely to do any damage to anyone's child, though as Dak has taken offence to it, and it does appear to be in violation of the Registration Agreement as he's stated, that action should be taken.