Posting errors

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Ranger1
100 or more tracks walked

Posting errors

Post by Ranger1 » 04 December 07 9:44 am

Is anyone having problems with getting errors when posting?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 December 07 10:15 am

Are you trying to copy/paste from something you have written in MS Word?
If so, get rid of the "smart quotes"

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 05 December 07 8:53 pm

Not sure if Riblit has nailed the problem.

The issue I get a work is the following message if I submit a post. I know shonky gets it as well. I have put it down to a firewall issue as everything works fine from home.

Information

Invalid_session

If anyone knows of the fix please let us know.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 07 9:05 pm

The Invalid_session is caused by your ISP using a number of proxy servers.

The session id which is attached to you when you log in is stored on one of the proxy servers. When you next go to post and you happen to end up on a different proxy server, the session id that your originally obtained is not valid for the session you are now trying to use as you are on a different proxy server.

It's a technical thing to try and stop people spoofing session id's. There's a better way to handle it in newer versions of the forum software, and if we ever get around to upgrading the software (we will, probably later than sooner), that particular problem will cease.

Sorry for the hassle in the meantime.

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 05 December 07 9:29 pm

I am not sure if that was Ranger's problem but it certainly helps me. Thanks for your prompt assistance.

Is that the same reason that I only get a few of your C@W stats graphs at work?

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 05 December 07 9:34 pm

The problem I had was originally when I copied some text from another web site, which when I couldn't post due to errors, I saved in a word doc. I haven't tried this particular text without smart quotes but it sound logical. thanks for your prompt help. :D I meant to put this in yesterday but never got back to it.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 December 07 9:40 pm

Ranger1 wrote:The problem I had was originally when I copied some text from another web site, which when I couldn't post due to errors, I saved in a word doc. I haven't tried this particular text without smart quotes but it sound logical. thanks for your prompt help. :D I meant to put this in yesterday but never got back to it.
There are a few posts on that subject here. The short answer is "Don't use word", the word "smart quotes" are not part of the ansi standard and word insists on changing all quotes in copied text to its smart variety.

Notepad is a better option is you want to save text. If you want to spell check it, upgrade to the firefox browser with its built in spell checker.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 December 07 9:41 pm

riblit wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:The problem I had was originally when I copied some text from another web site, which when I couldn't post due to errors, I saved in a word doc. I haven't tried this particular text without smart quotes but it sound logical. thanks for your prompt help. :D I meant to put this in yesterday but never got back to it.
There are a few posts on that subject here. The short answer is "Don't use word", the word "smart quotes" are not part of the ansi standard and word insists on changing all quotes in copied text to its smart variety.

Word shouldn't be let near any text destined for the web.

Notepad is a better option is you want to save text. If you want to spell check it, upgrade to the firefox browser with its built in spell checker.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 07 9:43 pm

Freddo wrote:I am not sure if that was Ranger's problem but it certainly helps me. Thanks for your prompt assistance.

Is that the same reason that I only get a few of your C@W stats graphs at work?
No. The bandwidth on my site was costing me heaps (as it is I'm still up to about $50 a month for the site), so now that the majority of the graphs are available at GCA, I've removed the duplicates. Over time, if the server here can handle it, I'll move the other ones over.

If you go to the Caches tab at GCA, then select Stats Graphs, you can find the ones that aren't on my site any more.

Choose All sources or GCA only to get the right detail, the a state and then the graph.

homedg
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 18 June 08 3:40 pm

I am still getting the invalid_session errors when trying to post.

Was there ever a solution for this?

I am pasting my text from notepad.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The words proxy, session id etc start to make me dizzy

homedg

Post by homedg » 18 June 08 3:49 pm

I am now getting a Line 280 debug this error if it helps.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 June 08 4:14 pm

Remove all quotes (double and single) and dashes.
Notepad doesn't trip them out.
Try again.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 June 08 4:52 pm

I get invalid sessions all the time. Much of the reason I don't write long posts anymore. :?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 18 June 08 7:07 pm

Bronze wrote:I get invalid sessions all the time. Much of the reason I don't write long posts anymore. :?
so sorry, i read your posting differently. :P

mm

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 18 June 08 11:23 pm

This happens to me too. Very frustrating. So you are saying even if I use word without the quotes like this " " - I can get errors. The times I have copied and pasted from Word (and got errors), I can't recall ever using quotes. If I write a longish post, I want to be able to re paste it - because of posting errors.... its a vicious circle.

I don't use word but sometimes use note pad. And what about things like Front Page.

BTW, I have asked about this before and have never got the solution - and been a bit scared to asked again .... I must be stupido!!

I appreciate the bandwidth issues and cost of running the show so I am not really complaining - more of a technical interest thing for me that has bugged me for ages...(since I joined the forums really)

Oh, I didn't spell check this post :D