Introducing the kids to geocaching - any ideas?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Beechmere

Introducing the kids to geocaching - any ideas?

Post by Beechmere » 24 October 07 10:51 am

I just bought myself a Garmin 60. I live in a block of concrete apartments and work in a CBD office, so playing with the unit has been a bit frustrating so far. However, I plan on finding the Tolkien Tree at lunchtime today although I'm not going to actually find and inspect the cache - just navigate to the tree to test the unit and get used to it.

I'd like to do some caching with my kids (13 & 8 ). One idea I had was to hide a small cache somewhere near home, note its location, then let the kids navigate to it using the GPS.

This would be a very basic, dead easy exercise for all the experienced cachers, so I'm not planning on publicising the cache location, unless there are other families just starting out in the general area (Sutherland) who might like to share it for similar purposes.

Anyone got any other ideas for first-time searches with/without kids?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 October 07 8:41 pm

Just go for it! Trying looking around in a few likely hiding spots around the tree.
For caching with the kids maybe look for caches which are sized regular or larger as they would more likely have "swaps" the kids will like. Just make sure you get them to take along some items to put in the cache in exchange.

The caches with difficulty/terrain or 1-2.5 might be worth trying when you are starting out. Once you have found a few you will get the feel of what you and the kids are capable of.
Putting out temporary caches for your kids sounds like a great idea.

Have fun!

Beechmere

Post by Beechmere » 24 October 07 8:47 pm

Update - I found the Tolkien Tree and 15 minutes later I was at the Tomb of the Unknown Cache. Just testing the unit - it worked fine. I didn't actually retrieve the caches there - I was more interested in getting used to my new toy.

Off to the Sunshine Coast now - I've downloaded a few locations to check out if I have time! Shame about the weather forecast though.....

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 October 07 9:00 pm

The two you got near are both "Micros". These are very small caches typically a 35mm film canister or Magnetic Keyholder or similar. If you are heading to Qld they only use Eclipse Tins up there! :P

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 24 October 07 9:12 pm

Damo. wrote:The two you got near are both "Micros". These are very small caches typically a 35mm film canister or Magnetic Keyholder or similar. If you are heading to Qld they only use Eclipse Tins up there! :P
:twisted: That's a bit harsh. I think you might be suprised at the amount and size of caches there. It has been an active area for nearly a year now. Have fun Beechmere.

The Wackys
2250 or more geocaches found
2250 or more geocaches found

Post by The Wackys » 26 October 07 4:57 pm

My brat boys (15 and 8yrs) get quite competitive and go for the 'hat-trick' on caching days out - nowadays I haven't even stopped the car and got out by the time they have retrieved the cache - enjoy your newest obsession!!

xusia
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by xusia » 30 October 07 10:58 pm

THENANKS wrote:
Damo. wrote:The two you got near are both "Micros". These are very small caches typically a 35mm film canister or Magnetic Keyholder or similar. If you are heading to Qld they only use Eclipse Tins up there! :P
:twisted: That's a bit harsh. I think you might be suprised at the amount and size of caches there. It has been an active area for nearly a year now. Have fun Beechmere.
I think Damo meant "They only use Eclipse tins for micros" not "They only use Eclipse tins" full stop.

However, having said that, Damo I have already found a cache not 40 km from my home location that is in a 35mm film canister so we don't just use Eclipse tins, so there!! :lol:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 November 07 12:19 am

xusia wrote: I think Damo meant "They only use Eclipse tins for micros" not "They only use Eclipse tins" full stop.

However, having said that, Damo I have already found a cache not 40 km from my home location that is in a 35mm film canister so we don't just use Eclipse tins, so there!! :lol:
Yes I was referring to Micro containers, but the comment was still said in jest. I reckon 35mm film containers must be starting to get pretty scarce these days though. SD card holders just don't have much of a seal and no space at all for log paper.

I'd prefer to find a 200ml Sistemas for a "Log Only" micro. It's what I have used. You can cut down a standard notebook easily and fit a short pen. Still fits geocoins and small TBs. Add a magnet and the right paintjob and they will blend into a lot of different environments.

So did Beechmere find any caches yet?

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 01 November 07 1:32 am

Damo. wrote: So did Beechmere find any caches yet?
Hi Damo, I just checked out the Tolkien Tree cache for their log but no claim , cant find name in GC . Hopefully the weather was to their liking while they visited the Sunshine Coast and have nailed heaps. I was fairly sure you were mucking around about our micros :lol: . Happy Caching- Cheers Mr Nanks

trail_geek

Post by trail_geek » 20 November 07 10:27 pm

My boy is 2 1/2 and has been on several caches with me, he loves the bush and being outside so works for both of us.

Opening a cache container is like christmas for him :)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 21 November 07 4:09 pm

Looking through my gallery and I get emotional as there are photos of my boys (now aged 8 & 9) out caching when they were 3 & 4.

It great to get kids into caching and easy to but I have found if you don't plan it right they can learn to hate the sport as well.

For fun i hide post it notes around the house in heaps of random places that they won't stumble upon. Each postit note has a riddle or clue to the next. The initial at the top of the post it note indicates which boy is to work out the puzzle or assign one side of the postit note to each child. When they both have the answer they can join them together to hint the next location to search.

The prize - A DVD to watch, box of chocolates to share, $5 fuel money to visit anywhere they like for the afternoon, lollipops, computer time etc etc. This is all good cache training for them and makes being at home more interesting. It's fun watching the kids flit from room to yard to neighbors to the park back into a room to the dog kennel and then back across the road to the neighbors letter box.

Anyway - just through I'd share in case this helps get your kids into the groove. You could make the GPS the final waypoint and they have to follow the arrow to the final 'final' waypoint of there hunt.

Bronze.