More concerns of caching etiquette.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Rubik

More concerns of caching etiquette.

Post by Team Rubik » 15 October 07 10:17 pm

<b>Etiquette</b> - rules governing socially acceptable behavior.<br>
<br>
Nothing disappoints me more than when I read a log for one of the many great caches in Australia and find it consists of one sentence, much of it in acronyms. This is especially the case when the message implies that the cache was enjoyed.<br>
<br>
I believe that if you want to encourage people to continue to hide great caches you should indicate your enjoyment in an appropriate manner. This usually includes what you liked about the cache but without giving away any clues. To put a short log implies that there weren't many redeeming qualities about the particular cache. To write a short log, and either stating or indicating with a rating system that you really enjoyed it, makes you look lazy. By all means continue to do so, but your logs are a reflection of yourself.<br>
<br>
Let me finish my vent by acknowledging my admiration for people who make an effort to continue the theme of a cache when logging it, who use the cache owner's name when thanking them, who post photos, or who make a cache and its owner feel appreciated when it is deserved.<br>
<br>
Have you stopped to think how your logs reflect the sort of person you are?<br>
<br>
Rob

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 October 07 10:26 pm

You know they also make decaffeinated coffee ?
Just yanking your chain :D

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 15 October 07 10:30 pm

I always like to put as much as possible in my logs (obviously there are times when there isnt much to say), especially rural caches, or ones that have taken me a bit of travelling time to get there.
If I'm on a trip away, or going for a purpose, then i mention it, mention the trip to the cache (there is always something that happens between or on the way to caches).
i like to include photo's as well, though i cant do this all the time, i do it as much as i can. and if i don't post the pics, i at least take them, and store them for memories.

It annoys me sometimes when people find caches in really remote areas, and just use a few acronyms to say that they have been there, when the area is usually pretty special, and deserves sharing experiences, and photo's

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 October 07 10:34 pm

I use stamps, are we meant to write! :lol:

I do remember however writing a lovely log note about nutty-turds and the fact I probably caught Syph!l!s off the container and surrounding syringes, condoms & garbage :x

Yep, that was an all time cr@p cache.. So I wrote so!

I still need therapy for the Nutty-Turd visions!

I probably only get time like a larger number of cachers nowadays to log maybe 5% of my finds online. Points Pfft who needs em.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 15 October 07 10:59 pm

Team Piggy wrote: <p>
I probably only get time like a larger number of cachers nowadays to log maybe 5% of my finds online. Points Pfft who needs em.
<p>A larger number of cachers too busy to log online?? :shock:</p><p>I've previously described those that choose not to log their finds online as <i>geocaching nihilists</i> </p><p>Since we are discussing etiquette here, those that don't or won't log their finds online are just displaying a lack of geocaching etiquette and a lack of respect for the cache owner</p><p>Logging a find online isn't just about the numbers my porcine colleague, it's just good geocaching manners </p>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 October 07 11:24 pm

Monkey see, monkey do.

Some see short logs and think that's the way it's done.

I styled my logs on those of maccamob.

Starting with the time. Then a few sentences about my experience either getting to GZ or the things that occurred when finding the cache. Rounding off with a thank you to the cacher (named) for their effort in setting up the cache for me and a summary comment of what I thought.

I would hope that the more people that write longer logs the more this may be seen as a payback to the cacher for hiding the cache.

I would like longer logs on some of my caches too, but writing is not for everyone.

Short logs are not always a measure of how much fun someone had at the cache.

Teglian
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Teglian » 15 October 07 11:41 pm

I agree, though I have to admit that I have written a few short log entries, but it's usually because I'm caching in a group and don't want to repeat what they've said or I'm afraid I'm going to give GZ away.

Though I'm not big on the whole rating a cache, don't get me wrong do it if you must, but I think it's more upsetting for people when they get a 1 then a TFTC had a great time kinda thing. That way they're not getting their feelings hurt because it's not the best cache in the world.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 October 07 1:42 am

I like to try and put a decent log in, if the cache has been memorable. If it is a crap micro in an unexciting place then I am more likely to leave a brief one liner.

The exception comes on holidays, where by the time you get back to the computer you may have trouble remembering the details, though I try and put a short note in my logbook to remind me what was good about the plalce/cache.

But yes, a lot of mine have been getting pretty short logs lately for some reason.

As for the other iissue, people finding and not logging them online, I think that is pretty rude in some ways. We place them because we want people to find them, enjoy them, and write about the experience. To have people doing it for their own enjoyment and not giving that back to the hider is poor form.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 16 October 07 3:01 am

Everyone is different, I hide caches because I take pleasure from hiding a great cache in a great spot, the appreciation in logs is nice, but that's not why I do it, just having it out there hiding and waiting for someone to find it is enough for me. If someone logs TNLNSL TFTC! it's really no skin off my nose. Equally, if someone doesn't log it online it doesn't bother me, if they enjoyed finding the cache or visiting the location, THAT'S the point, not me getting praised for it.
I'm sorry that you're not feeling appreciated Team Rubik, you clearly put out some fine caches judging by the Recommendations given on the Geocaching Australia site.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 16 October 07 8:03 am

richary wrote: As for the other iissue, people finding and not logging them online, I think that is pretty rude in some ways.
Unless of course your a muggle. :)

But then again i have seen some great logs from muggles.

I'm also not a writer, at times I can't read my own handwriting I need a good solid base to do my writing on and also the tongue has to be sticking out :P .
I prefer to do it online. Some cachers write a lot in logs but write nothing online

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 16 October 07 8:24 am

zactyl wrote:I'm sorry that you're not feeling appreciated Team Rubik, you clearly put out some fine caches judging by the Recommendations given on the Geocaching Australia site.
<br>
<br>
Thankyou for the comment Zactyl, but I wasn't talking about my own caches. This came about from reading logs for Bendigo caches.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 16 October 07 8:25 am

rhinogeo wrote: <p>A larger number of cachers too busy to log online?? :shock:</p> <p>I've previously described those that choose not to log their finds online as <i>geocaching nihilists</i> </p><p>Since we are discussing etiquette here, those that don't or won't log their finds online are just displaying a lack of geocaching etiquette and a lack of respect for the cache owner</p><p>Logging a find online isn't just about the numbers my porcine colleague, it's just good geocaching manners </p>
Yawn. * Yep I know of at least 20 other people that dont log either, Better watch out were taking over :lol: Anarchy at its best..

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 16 October 07 9:08 am

I'm like Skippy, my handwriting isn't great so I usually try and keep the logbook entry short, and maybe put a bit more in the online log.

I like to read the logs that have a bit of a story about people's experience getting to GZ and finding the cache. The funny stories of people's silly mistakes or the annoying behaviour of persistent muggles all adds to the fun.

However, WRT the original post, we have just created accounts for our kids so that they can log their own finds. At the moment, their age and typing skills are best suited to brief logs. My daughter in particular loves to use the acronyms. I expect this will change as they grow (if they continue caching) and learn a bit more of the etiquette. Hopefully you can understand and accept this.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 16 October 07 9:47 am

Bewilderbeest wrote:I'm like Skippy, my handwriting isn't great
So you could be a doctor :D

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 16 October 07 9:47 am

Team Piggy wrote:
rhinogeo wrote: <p>A larger number of cachers too busy to log online?? :shock:</p> <p>I've previously described those that choose not to log their finds online as <i>geocaching nihilists</i> </p><p>Since we are discussing etiquette here, those that don't or won't log their finds online are just displaying a lack of geocaching etiquette and a lack of respect for the cache owner</p><p>Logging a find online isn't just about the numbers my porcine colleague, it's just good geocaching manners </p>
Yawn. * Yep I know of at least 20 other people that dont log either, Better watch out were taking over :lol: Anarchy at its best..
Rebels without a clue :roll: