When to log a DNF?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should a DNF be logged if insufficient time to search or muggles are present?

Yes
23%
No
67%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 64

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 16 October 07 7:17 am

My rule of thumb is, If I look but cannot find a cache then a DNF will apply, however there are qualifiers to this...

IF muggles are present upon my arrival at the cache GZ and I don't even start a search, I may do a note stating same.

IF Muggles appear after I start the search, then a DNF due to muggle factor is warrented.

I would rather leave a cache and bear the shame of a blue frownie, than continue and risk losinf the cache to muggle action.

stevenwill

Post by stevenwill » 16 October 07 9:17 am

swampgecko wrote: I would rather leave a cache and bear the shame of a blue frownie, than continue and risk losinf the cache to muggle action.
I could not agree with you more, but if muggles are present do you not go back in an hour or so. Maybe with the town caches it's okay to come back tomorrow but if you are a long way from home on the top of a mountain. I would rather come back later. I know that if I do not do this then it will problably be weeks before I return if not longer. :cry: We have often had lunch on a peak waiting for muggles to move along. You seem to enjoy the cacheing experience all the better. :lol:
Steve

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

duh!!

Post by If » 16 October 07 5:56 pm

If I found the cache container, then I consider that a find, no matter what state the actual cache may be in :)
If I can somehow help return a damaged cache to a findable state by someone else then that counts as a find :D
If no trace of a cache can be found then it's a DNF :oops:

I like DNF logs and post quite a few meself. They do make interesting reading sometimes :lol:
Especially where persistent muggle activity is present :shock:
To not post a DNF robs the greater geocaching community (and the hider) of a chance for a good old giggle, or maybe a chance to check up on a missing cache 8)

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 16 October 07 6:19 pm

We normally only post 1 DNF for each cache however. Unless something interesting has happened at a visit. I remember we took 6 visits to one cache before we found it. We only posted 1 DNF, and I am sure 6 logs while it would be amusing to some people would not be that interesting reading.

We also don't post a DNF if we intend to visit again the next day, We wait until there will be a gap in our visits, or we think its really not there.

don55
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by don55 » 16 October 07 6:48 pm

Being new to the game I usually only post a DNF after 3 attempts and if I think the cache is gone. My first 2 DNF where because I thought I should log every DNF regardless of circumstances. I now only log a DNF if I am pretty sure the cache is muggled. I am more likely to post a note before a DNF.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 16 October 07 7:01 pm

I have been known to post multiple DNF logs against one cache, though in the early days I would cull them down to one final log later on. which was a shame as indivually they made an interesting timeline of events against a cache, espically one that might have been waiting for it's first finder to appear.

Don't be ashamed that you have logged a DNF. I now ask for people to log all DNF's so I can see if there is maybe another factor at play other than a cunningly hidden cache spoiling another person's day.

edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 17 October 07 9:51 am

Maddie and I do not have any special rules about posting a DNF it varies depending on how we feel.

We actually searched and not found? - Yes

We done part of the multi and arrived at the final GZ but circumstances don't allow for a search i.e muggles? - Yes

We intended to get the cache, arrived in General vicinity but couldn't search e.g Goat Island in Tasmania recently, tide was in and we couldn't do it. Yes we could have logged a note, but for us personally we didn't find it we had arrived at the spot with the intent of having a go and circumstances didn't permit bit of bad luck er no bad timing. - Yes

We have made a search but will be returning to give it another go- sometime yes, sometimes - No

I doesn't worry us about DNFs appearing in our stats. Smiley face or Sad face we've been there, we've seen the sights, we're out and about, we're enjoying the game.

DNF or Note, I prefer the DNF because I can see straight away that a previous searcher has not found the cache I may or may not read the details. I will however read a note as I consider it to hold important cache information e.g maintenance details etc