Ignore caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Ignore caches

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 03 October 07 8:39 am

Can w have a section on the ignore caches, or caches not to do. it's nice to have a must do and recommended caches but we came across a cache in Wagga Wagga which I wouldn't recommend it to my ex mother inlaw On seconds thoughts I would only to her .
nothings worse than trying to find a cache and you find you've covered in grease, glass, tree sap and needles from the dead bushes.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 03 October 07 9:06 am

I understand how you feel but I think that your suggestion is a negative way to view this sort of problem and negativity can only be detrimental to our passtime.

The fact that you had an awful experience chasing a particular cache on a particular day may mean that the cache location requires some maintenance (clearing away garbage etc) or perhaps the hider's sense of adventure/humour differs a bit from yours. A note to the hider may result in an improvement to the hide location or a better description of the hide on cache sheets to warn others that maybe this cache is not for them.

GCA also has a rating system and "needs improvement" is one of the ratings. Your rating reflects your experience on the particular day that you found it but may be helpful feedback to others and the hider.

I have also had less than fun experiences chasing down caches but I would never be so presumptuous as to declare the cache so bad as to recommend to all others that it be ignored. :shock:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 03 October 07 12:19 pm

If the cache is so bad (as in danger, needles, glass falling volkswagons, etc) then a SBA (archive note) should be placed on it or a need maintenance note.That will get action taken.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 03 October 07 8:13 pm

If you are a Premium Member on Geocaching.com you can make a Bookmark Listing of "Crappy Caches which Skippy&lambchops wouldn't recommend." You'd probably make an enemy of anyone who's cache you put on it though!

With the GCA rating system there was a great deal of discussion about trying to keep it positive because often people might put out a first cache which has some shortcomings. If they are blasted and criticised for it they are likely to not continue with the game.

Honest feedback in your logs or via messages could encourage them to improve the cache for future finders whereas criticism and shunning via a public ignore list will most likely create vengeful people trashing other's caches.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 06 October 07 8:55 pm

Damo. wrote:
Honest feedback in your logs or via messages could encourage them to improve the cache for future finders whereas criticism and shunning via a public ignore list will most likely create vengeful people trashing other's caches.
Absolutely agree with Damo. Being nasty and mean is not the way to be.
Positve feedback and critisism works wonders. There is no need to make someone feel bad! :D :D :D :D :D