Geocaching IDs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you think that having an official GCA id is a good idea?

Poll ended at 24 October 07 10:41 pm

Yes
26%
No
63%
Don't know
11%

Total votes: 35

Ranger1
100 or more tracks walked

Geocaching IDs

Post by Ranger1 » 24 September 07 10:41 pm

My Wife (Ranger 2) & I were talking about this subject a while ago after reading logs about caches near playgrounds. We thought just out of curiosity whether people think having official GC or GCA ids are a good idea & if so would people carry them. The reason for this thread is if you are approached by a police officer or other authorities would it be good to have some kind of official identification that would give an official reason for hanging around playgrounds etc. I would love to hear your reason. This is just out of curiosity to hear peoples opinions.

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 24 September 07 10:48 pm

Does <a href="http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... e">this</a> fit your needs?
</br>
I've been meaning to get myself one of these ...

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 24 September 07 10:55 pm

Something like that. Are they still available?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 September 07 11:15 pm

I think not hiding caches where they would cause people to be lurking around playgrounds in the first place is a better idea!

The GCA licences are pretty neat though.

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 25 September 07 6:21 pm

Agreed, We have a young daughter who provides a certain amount of coverage but if your a single male hanging around a play ground it tends to arouse a certain amount of suspicion. But I do like the GCA licence idea as it provides further evidence that what we do is legit.

Grank

Post by Grank » 25 September 07 6:33 pm

I was a "NO" but was interrupted so could not explain sooner.

Damo's point about considering placement in the 1st place should be considered closely. Sometimes, however, local events chnage things - like APEC.

The reason I thought it a NO (Putting administration aside) is that if I was a person engaged in security (I am not , so I am talking out my ... hat) and was suspicious of someone the only id I would consider worthwhile would be a Drivers Licence or Passport or other "officially" issued item. I have heaps of "really official" ids made by big companies but when I saw a security guard "make" mine recently I realised just how simple it was to make them (ie he rolled back sticky plastic layer and removed the old photo and stuck mine to it!).

The main thing to me would be if you have suitable id and am willing to show it you will probably be OK ... sometimes the cache sheet and your GPS helps too.

But is does add to the excitment of teh hunt thinking that you might get "caught" :D

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 25 September 07 6:52 pm

Agreed again, the placement of a cache is very important. If I remember correctly one of the rules regarding the placement of caches includes not puting one near infrastruction eg power plants radio stations etc. It goes on to say, I think, that placement of a cache in an area that would arouse the wrong type of suspicion. But I think that I am getting a bit of topic.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 25 September 07 7:04 pm

GC or GCA ID's wont have any bearing of officiality to a police officer or security guard or representative of the site/land holding you are on.

More than anything it will end up getting you into more questioning as a type of person who present a "odd" or bogus ID to be able to hang around a kiddies playground.

*Ding* theres a point for your file on the pedophile file the cops/ Feds keep....

I suggest a search of the trespassing threads and legalities of being on land that have been covered here before.
If asked to move on, do so without argument or questioning. (see above related threads for reasons why).
If interogated by the Police/guards etc tell the truth, show them your GPS and how the hunt/game works. They will generally be receptive and interested then ask you to move on :lol:

You'd be surprised how many times your caught on camera a day in big cities! So remember your possibly always being watched!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 September 07 7:32 pm

Ranger1 wrote: But I do like the GCA licence idea as it provides further evidence that what we do is legit.
That reminds me, must get my Boob Inspector license re-issued.....

Back on topic, with regards to legitimacy:
At a local event a while back, one of our illustrious cachers who is a Police officer (Mr Cheesy Pigs) mentioned that if questions, just tell them what you are doing.....You aren't breaking any laws (hopefully!).

Even so, Geocaching 'Licenses' for fun/education have VERY been popular in the past!

Grank

Post by Grank » 25 September 07 7:43 pm

Team Piggy wrote: They will generally be receptive and interested then ask you to move on :lol:
My experience exactly - polite but firm :lol:

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 25 September 07 7:43 pm

CraigRat wrote: Back on topic, with regards to legitimacy:
At a local event a while back, one of our illustrious cachers who is a Police officer (Mr Cheesy Pigs) mentioned that if questions, just tell them what you are doing.....You aren't breaking any laws (hopefully!).
I remember uttering something along those lines once or twice while caching with a VERY well known Tasmanian cacher and got something like "but. . . . but . . . . . it's a naval barracks. . . . they will think we are suss. . . . . we'll get arrested. . . . we should go. . . . . . now" :twisted:

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 25 September 07 8:22 pm

I'm with the 'nos'...the best way to avoid suspicion is to avoid caches placed in locations likely to attract suspicion.

An official ID, unless one that included strong anti-faking technology such as passports, would only provide the undesirable types with an opportunity to present a 'legitimate' pretext for being where they are. After all, certain types of people are well known for co-opting things (e.g. internet chat rooms) to serve their purposes.

Sad to say, but such seems to be the nature of our society these days...

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

It's a free world

Post by If » 25 September 07 9:47 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not the paranoid one :D
If you are hanging around in a public space and someone else is worried then it's their problem :x
I don't deliberately try to upset others by being somewhere. If it's too muggly I will go away. Pity it doesn't work both ways...

If you aint breaking any laws then you aint gettin' in trubble

Don's fireproof suit :lol: :D

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 25 September 07 10:04 pm

This is sort of a post for our Geocaching Mother as such (The one that introduced us). With 2 young children, most of their geocaching involves caches at Playgrounds. So please the more the better. One of the aspects of our game is the ability to be shown great places and for a 2 year old, a great place is a new playground.

Now as a Male who caches with only a Dog, and therefore searching a playground may be seen as a little odd, I have a simple plan, We do it at a less muggle time (Not many kids get out after 7pm), and of course remember it for my sisters next trip to melbourne.

AussieRAVer
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieRAVer » 26 September 07 12:06 am

I have also replied NO... there is no need... if you get questioned tell the truth... if you arent doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about...