Time to Get Fair Dinkum? [closed]

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
RedPaw64
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by RedPaw64 » 26 September 07 9:46 am

I haven't been caching all that long but in the time I have, My forum posts are often about software/hardware. I refer to this quote
Cached wrote:You know, what if we had a GPSR section - that might have it's uses...
I think that is a great idea. Cachers new to caching have questions regarding what GPS to buy, or Choice of PDA and also what software is better to do the job of paperless caching etc. I have recently had issues with that and got all the answers in the forums. Must admit some of them posts did eventually run off the track touching on other subjects but I got my answers.

OH and No I don't like crockery pictures.. waste of time and space...

Grank

Post by Grank » 26 September 07 9:52 am

caughtatwork wrote:You miss all of the human characteristics of body language in the written word.
Read between the lines xusia .... people are concerned that you may actually try and meet pesky! FACE to FACE :shock:

its pronounced you-Min-A BTW :lol:

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 26 September 07 10:29 am

RedPaw64 wrote:
Cached wrote:You know, what if we had a GPSR section - that might have it's uses...
I think that is a great idea. Cachers new to caching have questions regarding what GPS to buy, or Choice of PDA and also what software is better to do the job of paperless caching etc.

There already is a section for this. Hardware/Software solutions.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 September 07 10:43 am

Pesky! wrote: how about a forum for the literacy challenged or at least fo thosw who do not proof read thier posts before subitting them.

y
It would require a suitably qualified moderator Pesky!. Do I take the above quote as your application?

RedPaw64

Post by RedPaw64 » 26 September 07 10:50 am

J_&_J wrote:
RedPaw64 wrote:
I think that is a great idea. Cachers new to caching have questions regarding what GPS to buy, or Choice of PDA and also what software is better to do the job of paperless caching etc.

There already is a section for this. Hardware/Software solutions.
Hardware/Software Solutions is a very broad heading. Anyway I just thought it was a good idea to have a GPSR section.

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 26 September 07 11:13 am

I like the idea of a gpsr section.

To return to the original topic, if we want a great forum, then more people need to participate. How about some of those long-time lurkers starting a thread or two about their own caching experiences?

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 26 September 07 11:53 am

listmaker wrote:I like the idea of a gpsr section.

To return to the original topic, if we want a great forum, then more people need to participate. How about some of those long-time lurkers starting a thread or two about their own caching experiences?
<P>I agree - it's really not good enough to just come in, fire off a salvo and then retire to watch the fun. If the "Top 20" feel they're missing out then it's probably because they're not contributing. The dynamics of group interactions are not affected too much by the odd comment, but more by the ongoing contributions of the group members so, unless there is a change in the makeup of the group, I doubt that anything will change much in the future :!:
<P>I think it's a shame that this contretemps has resulted in the loss to this community of a valued and committed contributor - even though I do agree that there has been a tendency for some pretty rampant OT posting at times too.
<P>That's my 2c worth - I think I'll go and have a cup of tea and an Emu sandwich to settle my nerves :shock:

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 26 September 07 12:46 pm

Geodes wrote:I agree - it's really not good enough to just come in, fire off a salvo and then retire to watch the fun.
<p>
I had better explain: If you look through the posts, you'll find that, apart from the original post, I have made four other responses, the last being at 2330 on the night of the original post, which was two days ago. I was out caching yesterday from 0700 to midnight (Bellarine Peninsula), so I had no opportunity to monitor the thread and respond. So, I haven't just 'fired off a salvo' to cause trouble. I genuinely want to see an improvement in the Forum for everybody's benefit. I'm not advocating an end to humour, or an increase in seriousness or pontification. I would just like to see a reasonable balance between the two. Like it or not, this is a geocaching Forum. People come here for information/help on geocaching. We can get any amount of OT information or humour elsewhere on the Web.
<p>
Geodes wrote:If the "Top 20" feel they're missing out then it's probably because they're not contributing.
<p>
Fair point. I'll go back to a previous question: why aren't they? I am as guilty of this as others. I stopped contributing because of the anti-GC kerfuffle a couple of years back. My opinions on that subject are on the record, in this Forum. However, that has largely gone away now, so it is time for me to reassess. One of the points of this thread is to raise the level of discussion, and perhaps attract back some of the long-term and active cachers to the Forum. So, I will commit to become a more regular contributor; to actively help others; and to initiate threads that I hope will be of interest.
<p>
Now, to reply to other posts from yesterday:
<p>
xusia wrote: You folks who have thousands of finds up your sleeve - does it ever get boring?
<p>
Not for me. I still love it! See what I said above about yesterday's activities for proof.
<p>
caughtatwork wrote:Most of the people act in a completely different way when you meet them in person.

For some reason, boredom possibly, when they get behind a keyboard they assume different personas.
<p>
C@W is correct in the majority of cases. Some people will be the same in person as they are 'on paper', but many are not. People with "strongly held opinions" are apt to say things in Forum posts that they would never say face-to-face. I have met such people at events, and they project a completely different personality than they do in writing. My advice to such people is to go ahead and write that response, but don't send it until the following day, when you will have a cooler head. More often than not, you will edit the post before sending it, or not send it at all. I have several times taken this advice, and not posted a reply. On reflection, I should have followed my own advice for the first post in this thread. I would have changed some of it, especially the comment about cache finds and Forum posts. I have been wanting to say that for ages, but I chose the wrong time to use it. :( For those who don't have two personas, I envy you.
<p>
swampgecko wrote:Dak, are you willing to take on a moderator's spot?
<p>
I don't think I have the commitment to become an active moderator at the moment. I'm willing to contribute again to the Forum, in the hope that my input will be useful to someone. However, I don't think the Forum needs more moderation or moderators.
<p>
sc00t wrote:
dak's Emu Mob wrote: When you have more cache finds than Forum posts, I'll respect your opinion about geocaching!
<p>
What kind of ridiculous statement is that!
<p>
Agreed! I should never had made the statement, and I apologise for it. See my comment above.
<p>
I'm very pleased to see that this thread has generated a good level of discussion. Thanks to all who have contributed so far.
<p>
Cheers,
<p
dak

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 26 September 07 1:26 pm

Hi All,

I've just had my attention drawn to this thread.

I'm probably one who fits the different persona category, as sometimes I manage to come across in an entirely unintended manner in threads. A long discussion with another cacher the other night pointed out that a few people who I've never met already don't like me based on some cache logs or forum posts, though most who meet me at events I've attended or run seem to think I'm okay. (They keep coming back anyway... maybe they just like the places I run events :shock: )

I also lost a bit of interest in the forums after the anti GC stuff a while back, and I've been lurking a bit lately after a long sojourn.

The fact that people were too prepared to see things as personal attact rather than discussion was a detractor also. If you sit around a campfire and talk about each other and past experiences people don't start leaving their chairs or yelling at each other. It doesn't happen on Friday night YAK either. So it has to be a written word, no body language or vocal tone kind of thing tha causes the animosity.

A couple of threads I've noticed that started off as active interesting discussion degenerated into teapot threads for want of a better description, for the last few pages.

Whether that's good or bad I'm not to judge for anyone other than myself.

I probably don't find the forum as useful as I used to. But maybe that just means I know more about caching than I used to.

I have been caching for nearly four years and have just cracked 250 caches. That doesn't make me undedicated or inexperienced, it's primarily to do with the fact that I cache in low density cache to extremely low density areas by preference. My cache stats would attest to that. On the other hand I get the impression that people respect my hides and enjoy my caches going by the logs and I try and maintain the quality of caching rather than the quantity. If I go to a high density area now I tend only to do caches of those that I've come to know place good caches, unless I've learned on the grapevine of newbie cachers who place good caches.

On last weekends trip to Melbourne I despaired as TomTom beeped to announce caches at inane highway weighbridges and on the side of Monash Freeway off ramps where to even park the car unless broken down is illegal. That's not what caching is about. Just because you parked there once so you could change the babies nappy doesn't make it a worthy place to put a cache, even if doing so got you out of changing the offending reason for the stop.

Maybe what we are seeing in the forum is a manifestation of what is happening to caching in general. Quantity rather than quality is becoming a problem.

A newbie to caching these days will in their first 20 finds probably find more caches placed just because there was a park or a spot to put it, with short cache descriptions and very little in the cache page other than the maybe the logs to make it worth reading.

They then think that's what cachings about and start placing a few inane caches of their own, spreading the problem like a virus.

Maybe after a while they find some caches placed longer ago, or by cachers who have been playing longer, and they start to get an idea of what caching used to be about, and place a few of their own quality caches. We can only hope.

Those newer to the forums see the newer posts, which on the whole are less interesting than alot of the older stuff, particularly for those who are new and looking to learn about caching, and consequently they think that's what the forum is about. They either leave finding it unhelpfull, or stay and maintain the standard at what it is.

I'm only hypothesising. I think Dak probably has a point, I don't think it was meant to be personal. And I think if the same conversation had taken place on Yak or around a group table over coffee or beer the interpretation would have been different.

DJ

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 26 September 07 1:54 pm

Good to see you back Dak! :D

Geof

Post by Geof » 26 September 07 4:11 pm

Dak wrote:Agreed! I should never had made the statement, and I apologise for it.
Thank you Dak.

You should count your self very fortunate to be in the position you are. I'd say you are in a farly unique situation to have both the time and the funds to be able to do what you do and I congratulate you for shareing some of that with other cachers.

You are someone I hold in high regard and haveing said that I also think Geodes also has a point.

My 2 cents re your original post and something I almost brought up about 2 weeks back. I often get the feeling that some of the OT and general "bs" posts are from people who have had a bit too much of the amber fluid.

Eynowd
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Eynowd » 26 September 07 5:07 pm

It seems to me what we have here is a perfect example of what Clay Shirky spoke about 4 years ago in his speech, A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy.

It makes for interesting reading.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 26 September 07 5:27 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote:
Geodes wrote:I agree - it's really not good enough to just come in, fire off a salvo and then retire to watch the fun.
<p>
I had better explain: If you look through the posts, you'll find that, apart from the original post, I have made four other responses, the last being at 2330 on the night of the original post, which was two days ago. I was out caching yesterday from 0700 to midnight (Bellarine Peninsula), so I had no opportunity to monitor the thread and respond. So, I haven't just 'fired off a salvo' to cause trouble. I genuinely want to see an improvement in the Forum for everybody's benefit. I'm not advocating an end to humour, or an increase in seriousness or pontification. I would just like to see a reasonable balance between the two. Like it or not, this is a geocaching Forum. People come here for information/help on geocaching. We can get any amount of OT information or humour elsewhere on the Web.
<p>
Geodes wrote:If the "Top 20" feel they're missing out then it's probably because they're not contributing.
<p>
Fair point. I'll go back to a previous question: why aren't they? I am as guilty of this as others. I stopped contributing because of the anti-GC kerfuffle a couple of years back. My opinions on that subject are on the record, in this Forum. However, that has largely gone away now, so it is time for me to reassess. One of the points of this thread is to raise the level of discussion, and perhaps attract back some of the long-term and active cachers to the Forum. So, I will commit to become a more regular contributor; to actively help others; and to initiate threads that I hope will be of interest.
<p>
Now, to reply to other posts from yesterday:
<p>
xusia wrote: You folks who have thousands of finds up your sleeve - does it ever get boring?
<p>
Not for me. I still love it! See what I said above about yesterday's activities for proof.
<p>
caughtatwork wrote:Most of the people act in a completely different way when you meet them in person.

For some reason, boredom possibly, when they get behind a keyboard they assume different personas.
<p>
C@W is correct in the majority of cases. Some people will be the same in person as they are 'on paper', but many are not. People with "strongly held opinions" are apt to say things in Forum posts that they would never say face-to-face. I have met such people at events, and they project a completely different personality than they do in writing. My advice to such people is to go ahead and write that response, but don't send it until the following day, when you will have a cooler head. More often than not, you will edit the post before sending it, or not send it at all. I have several times taken this advice, and not posted a reply. On reflection, I should have followed my own advice for the first post in this thread. I would have changed some of it, especially the comment about cache finds and Forum posts. I have been wanting to say that for ages, but I chose the wrong time to use it. :( For those who don't have two personas, I envy you.
<p>
swampgecko wrote:Dak, are you willing to take on a moderator's spot?
<p>
I don't think I have the commitment to become an active moderator at the moment. I'm willing to contribute again to the Forum, in the hope that my input will be useful to someone. However, I don't think the Forum needs more moderation or moderators.
<p>
sc00t wrote:
dak's Emu Mob wrote: When you have more cache finds than Forum posts, I'll respect your opinion about geocaching!
<p>
What kind of ridiculous statement is that!
<p>
Agreed! I should never had made the statement, and I apologise for it. See my comment above.
<p>
I'm very pleased to see that this thread has generated a good level of discussion. Thanks to all who have contributed so far.
<p>
Cheers,
<p
dak
Dak my hat is off to you :shock: :? Any man that can quote so many (with the names) has my respect :oops: :wink:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 26 September 07 5:31 pm

Team Piggy wrote:Good to see you back Dak! :D
Baah :oops: