Time to Get Fair Dinkum? [closed]

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Geodes

Post by Geodes » 26 September 07 5:53 pm

<P>I was actually quite disappointed when this fracas started; the last thread started by Bronze
(<a href="http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 8968">Very Interesting Logs</a>) was one I was quite interested in following, and it does illustrate some of the problems that have been discussed lately. After an initial post or two, there followed 8 replies which, while of some interest, really bore no resemblance to the topic. Anyone scanning the thread would probably pass it up as another discussion of interest to a specific audience only, and would not take the opportunity to add their input. I don't know how to get the thread back on track (i.e. whether the OT entries could/should be deleted), but I would like to see some of the posts, especially from our Top 20 so -<P>
listmaker wrote:How about some of those long-time lurkers starting a thread or two about their own caching experiences?

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 26 September 07 6:04 pm

listmaker wrote:How about some of those long-time lurkers starting a thread or two about their own caching experiences?
<p>
Great idea, listmaker! It's what I am hoping for. I intend to, however, I'm off to the airport in an hour to fly to Perth for a few days' holiday with my daughter. We'll be doing some caching (surprise, surprise), but will not have access to the Internet much. So, this will be my last post until at least Monday.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 26 September 07 7:05 pm

Hey Dak you can comment about and around me ! how about a direct conversation? Yak pak is the answer! I am sure with your ability you'll have a mic!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 26 September 07 7:06 pm

Geodes wrote:<P>I was actually quite disappointed when this fracas started; the last thread started by Bronze
What wind are you blowing where :?:

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 26 September 07 11:44 pm

Dak, enjoy Perth, and I hope we can share in your adventures next week!

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 30 September 07 4:40 pm

Mr Router wrote:Hey Dak you can comment about and around me ! how about a direct conversation? Yak pak is the answer! I am sure with your ability you'll have a mic!
<p>
G'day Mr Router,
<p>
No problem about the direct conversation. I'd love to. However, I've never heard of Yak pak. I am available on Skype, and my online status is available on my GC.com profile page. I'm in Perth airport at the moment, preparing to fly back to Vic.
<p>
Feel free to Skype me at any time: text or voice. Yes, I have a mic.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 30 September 07 8:50 pm

You can comment on the quality of threads/posts on this forum but you haven't seen/heard Yak Pak??
<p>
Get on it and we can all have a go :D
<p>
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=7947

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 30 September 07 9:27 pm

We already have yak pak set up here. See friday night yak.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 47&start=0

I do hope this tread can take a positive turn as its would be in my top 5 feel bad threads in GCA forum history.

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 01 October 07 6:54 pm

I have just read this thread with real interest! Thank you DAK for opening it. It is an absolutely normal occurance in such forums for threads like this to occur, and far from the worst that I have seen. On the contrary, I think that it has been a very healthy discussion, notwithstanding the decision from one regular contributor to leave. However that was entirely up to him.

The WORST example of a forum turning nasty that I have ever seen was, believe it or not, on a forum for birdwatchers! Nasty, vexatious, angry lot they were let me tell you! (and no, I wasn't involved.) It is notoriously easy for people to take offense to what they read in(to) emails.

As a relatively new poster who has posted both serious and inane postings (including a teapot) I do have to agree with DAK's initial point that a good forum allows people to learn the things that they want to know, without having to wade through so much irrelevant stuff that it defeats the purpose. That doesn't mean to say that irrelevant stuff shouldn't be posted - where it is posted is the issue. It would be a sadder world if we can't have some fun with postings and to that extent it is a shame that one decision to leave was made when there were other options.

I liked the idea of (re)opening forums on GPS's and PDA's and have made comments there. Those sort of forums need to be regular themes in my humble.

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 03 October 07 11:05 am

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Time to Get Fair Dinkum? Or Degenerate into Irrelevance?" at Geocaching Australia. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 6018#96018

Gone already? :shock:

DJ

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 03 October 07 11:50 am

Spindoc Bob wrote:Have to admit, I've been quiet on the forums for the reason outlined above. I don't want to necessarily curb the Monty Pythonesque fun of some on the forum, but the forum is less useful than I previously found it.

I've had one or two topics stray a long way from the topic I started. All I ask is that people stick with the topic posted.
yeah what he said - i like the teapots but it seems often initially it's an uphill push to get a single positive response - when does constructive criticism become constrictive? but in the end it is worth it saints preserve us equally from yes men and a forum where you don't feel free to post what you want
( anyone want to find some real treasure with a gps? check my thread below this one)

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 03 October 07 7:35 pm

forthferalz wrote:
but in the end it is worth it saints preserve us equally from yes men and a forum where you don't feel free to post what you want
( anyone want to find some real treasure with a gps? check my thread below this one)
Nobody has noticed no posts from this way for over a week :lol: But the above reply brings me from the woodwork :shock:
One should feel free to post their thoughts :!: To all trying to groom the forum, Why not :?: seems a couple of ol posters have appeared and major division has occurred :oops:
Hey all lets go back to when we were united, dont let the egos get in the way :wink:

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

I tried for the fireplace, but

Post by If » 06 October 07 6:11 pm

I would have loved to keep up with this thread, but I got distracted by caching
:oops:

Waynesworld

Re: I tried for the fireplace, but

Post by Waynesworld » 07 October 07 4:41 pm

If wrote:I would have loved to keep up with this thread, but I got distracted by caching
:oops:
You replied to most threads so you caught up quick :shock:

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 07 October 07 5:25 pm

Time to Get Fair Dinkum? Or Degenerate into Irrelevance? time to get this thread back on track......... :roll: :lol:..... but then again apparently my opinion doesn't count.......