How close have you been?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Rubik

How close have you been?

Post by Team Rubik » 21 September 07 12:43 am

Have you ever hidden a cache, gone to publish it, and then found it was too close to another cache that you were unaware of?<br>
<br>
One particular cacher experienced this recently when he was unware of a cache in the same park. What I find extraordinary is that the location for his cache (on the left) was only about one metre from the existing one! It's surprising that he didn't stumble upon it given the close proximity.<br>
<br>
So, do you have any stories of accidental finds? Or perhaps times when you were oh so close?<br>
<br>
The picture has been posted with the permission of both parties.<br>
<br>

RedPaw64
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by RedPaw64 » 21 September 07 5:19 am

That is very close. I haven't been in that position, but I do think that GCA should stick to the same distance rule away from other caches, as GC does.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 21 September 07 6:58 am

Curly put a router cache out in Lithgow, we came along much later and thought great spot for a cache without ever knowing Curly's placement was 30mt's away!
So as you guessed next visit we picked up the cache, bit silly ah :oops:

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 21 September 07 10:56 am

I know of a cacher here in SA that went to place a cache, and when he put his hand in the hole to check that the space was free, found a cache.

Pure luck when you manage to do things like that

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 21 September 07 11:55 am

I placed a GCA cache at a local lookout a while ago and a new cacher to the area placed <br> a GC cache in the next tree along (apparently unaware of GCA)......<p>the logs make for some interesting reading - cachers think they have found the cache :) <br> but actually found the other one :? some are not aware until the get home to log the find :!: <p>A good excuse to come back to the area to find the other one :D

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 21 September 07 12:27 pm

It's a nice spot for a cache (or two) :D We found the GC cache while looking for the GCA one. Mentioned it in our GC log and gave a link to the GCA page but the owner has never visited this site.
Posted without anyone's permission, do you mind Batesco?! :P And how about your story of an accidental find?! :lol:

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 21 September 07 1:34 pm

There was the story (true) of the two cachers who went looking (separately) for a new multi in Melbourne last year. Both made the same mistake, couldn't find the cache, so decided on a search using "The Force". Both found the cache - or so they thought!

Both actually found ANOTHER cache, sited more than the required distance from the one that they were actually looking for!

The logs made for confusing reading for a while! :?: :D

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 21 September 07 2:32 pm

I was looking for a place to hide a cache when I found a cache. I logged it and then it was published by the owner.

Can't get a better FTF than finding it before it's published.

B.

winterdragon

Post by winterdragon » 21 September 07 2:44 pm

I know of one GC cache in SA that's been unknowingly placed on the opposite side of the road to a GCA cache - identical containers and same hide.<br><br>
Then there's the time I went to replace the cache Gnomewood, and found another container there. Turned out to be a replacement for the "lost" container, but I reckon that counts as two caches within 10 cm :).

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 21 September 07 5:24 pm

There is a shelter in a park here in Brisbane which has a GCA cache and a GC cache hidden in it. There's a few confused logs in both books.

team unicycle

Post by team unicycle » 21 September 07 5:53 pm

I placed a cache at The Breakaways, 20km N of Coober Pedy in 2003. At the time, the nearest cache was 130km away. Liz and Bruce placed one a couple of days before about 90m from where I hid mine.

Liz and Bruce called theirs Breakaway, so I called mine Another Breakaway. I must have got an exemption from the 160metre rule at the time, but it turned out L&B's was muggled before it was ever found.

This is a map of caches in the area at the time:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 September 07 6:09 pm

Obviously, I see more of these than anybody (being the one who, hopefully, stops this situation from going public!)

Some of them have been so close, and hidden in/under the same feature, that it's a wonder the original container wasn't seen. They're usually GZs of multis or mysteries, but not always. There's the occasional newcomer who's placing their first cache without checking to see if their neat spot is already taken.

I've also come across a couple as a player, one in Perth that was under the same end of the same boardwalk (both GZs of puzzles)
I still had the first one in my GPSr and I was puzzled as to why I couldn't see the newly-entered GZ on my map screen. It was covered by the longer name of the first GZ waypoint!

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 21 September 07 8:35 pm

zactyl wrote:It's a nice spot for a cache (or two) :D We found the GC cache while looking for the GCA one. Mentioned it in our GC log and gave a link to the GCA page but the owner has never visited this site.
Posted without anyone's permission, do you mind Batesco?! :P And how about your story of an accidental find?! :lol:
The GCA cache is actually ours :) - previous caching name was Batesco, updated the site but obviously not the log sheet :oops: .

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 21 September 07 8:48 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Obviously, I see more of these than anybody (being the one who, hopefully, stops this situation from going public!)

Some of them have been so close, and hidden in/under the same feature, that it's a wonder the original container wasn't seen. They're usually GZs of multis or mysteries, but not always. There's the occasional newcomer who's placing their first cache without checking to see if their neat spot is already taken.
I had placed a cache that was 17 m from where the Mad Myers had hidden one about 1/2 an hour earlier that evening. The Ump unfortunately approved their's first ( and we copped a ribbing from the MM's ) but worse was the fact that Fehrgo got FTF on the Myers cache. We bumped into each other at 1.30 am trying to get an FTF . I have also placed a cache under the same board walk as an offset multi ( 25 km away ). The Ump had published it before realising they were next to each other. The best part was that Pirate 63 is still spewing about getting an FTF but the cache was archived before he could claim :lol: . We should try that again Ump. It was a good laugh.

AussieRAVer
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieRAVer » 21 September 07 11:37 pm

Ive not placed a cache in the same spot (yet) but come close to doing it a few times... Obvioulsy take too long to decide on a spot and when I check or get around to it, the location/idea is gone