[OT]I need a new Job

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Ranger1
100 or more tracks walked

[OT]I need a new Job

Post by Ranger1 » 17 September 07 10:24 pm

I have been in a dead end office job for the last 8 years which is so full of political & unprofessional BS that I have had enough. It's gotten to the point that myself & others feel so stressed before we have gotten to work let alone actually being at work :( . I am very computer literate, can type reasonably & have good invoice handling & time management/organisational skills. I live in Adelaide in the north eastern suburbs & would like a quiet office job or similar not too far from home. If there is anyone out there who knows of anything going then please let me know by PM.

Thanks
Michael
Ranger Family.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 22 September 07 7:48 am

Would you like mine? Perhaps we can swap.

1st lady

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 22 September 07 8:02 am

Ranger 1, I can understand what you are going through. I have been with the same company (Govt business enterprise) for the last 25 years. Doing the same repetitive work for the last 10. And its time for a change. I am tired of all the BS crap I have to deal with on an everyday basis. I am also tired of being way way underpaid for my time. I applied for something completely different, so totally left field that it will mean a complete upheaval as to how I do things, and possibly how I live. I have been through all the testing, medical, and everything, all seems good. I am just waiting for the word.

Good luck, dont be afraid to branch out into something different, or to get out of your comfort zone.

Cheers
Bundy

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 22 September 07 10:04 am

Thanks Bundy & 1st Lady, I am hoping that someone out there in forum land might have something going as I am sick of going through the employment section in the paper.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 22 September 07 10:11 am

After some time finding my feet in the Army then as a Maintenance Manager (Gardening) I ended up doing security work to get out of the hot Queensland summers, after a while it became fairly responsible security and not just patrol or door work. The hours were ok for a young fella in my 20's and the pay was reasonable too. I had to ask myself:
"Can I see myself doing this with a family or even in my 40's or 50's".

There are not a lot of old security guards around and those that are in my view are not effective at what they do. I suffer from a mild form of perfectionism when it came to my security work and left nothing to chance. So I quite literally whet back to year 12 in a school in Central Queensland and worked nights training officers and weekends in the mines doing vital asset protection and executive protection when the 'powers that be' flew in.

Some people here would remember this, especially Dooghan but 12 months later in a different state, different city and into a different job I continued the nights and weekend but put myself through Uni and here I am. After a total of 10 years doing security I climbed my way up the ladder and had a bloody good position and skills portfolio. The ironic part was that at the end of Uni once I had got my degree the company I was then working for offered me a full-time job with less hours and a 50% increase after tax on what I would be earning gross as a new teacher :roll:. I guess they appreciated what I did but I really really needed the change.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you do a little planning before throwing your job in you can work your way towards a more more appealing situation instead of just taking what comes along. Thats ok for a while but one the debt accumulate or the mortgage is too scary often your "locked in eddy" and I didn't want to be in that position.

Good luck with the job search Ranger. Let us know how you get on.

Bronze.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 23 September 07 12:26 am

I am in the same boat, the company I work for seems to have no focus and direction. But I've just accepted a job in Sydney with a mob that know what they are doing, will be more field work instead of trying to act as a help desk on about 10 different products for people who are too silly to own the things.

So I will be giving my notice on Monday, and heading back east in about 5 weeks.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 23 September 07 9:49 am

I may have a new job myself, all thanks to geocaching. Don't know a lot at the moment as I have to get back to the person. But if I think it is what I think the job is it's going to be right up my alley

Dooghan

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 23 September 07 11:42 am

Which alley is that one Dooghan, the needle in the haystack one, or the repairing torn clothes and skin one??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grank

Post by Grank » 23 September 07 12:08 pm

Consider becoming a merc (Contractor). Once the honeymoon is over and you realise that this new company is not perfect, move on to another one. Enjoy the next honeymoon and then realsie that this company too has the same BS and BSDs ... do the job they want, do it well, accept their money and move on.

I was a good permanent employee for 17 years until one day when I wanted my career to go a new way, but that didn't suit my employer as they liked what I was doing in my little cubilcle. I was told that "sometime the organisation is bigger than the individual" and "you should be happy you have a job!" .... just over 4 weeks later I was a merc and haven't looked back.

At least you will have many honeymoons! and no messy divorces - ie you know it will be over; accept that fact and life is pretty sweet. Don't like your boss - you know that YOU can change that; the BS starts getting too much .. you know that YOU can change.

But it's not for everyone .... the "insecurity" gets many - but I have seen many "secure" people either [very] unhappy or "pushed out the door" during a merger/reorganisation, "sold" to another outsourcing company etc - on balance in over 13 years I have been out of work for just over 5 weeks (ie "actively looking for work but not having a job" as opposed to "not working because I want to do something else").

So look at the industry you're in and what sort of contract work you've seen in your industry and assess whther you have a skill that your industry buys. This is not a career per se, but a business - you sell that skill set for $. You may also find that the "glory" jobs are hard to come by but here are bread and butter jobs that are always there.

Job adds for mercs are not necessarily a good indication of how much work there is -talk to a friendly merc in your office, you will usually find them approachable about how it all works. But don't kick the tyres too much - we see that a lot and it does get a bit tiresome.

There are some jobs that are very plentiful that you will never see advertised .... it's a bit of a meat market, but my needs are simple - good boss, nice place to work. Sometimes you can pop your head up for a "glory" job and take the BS offset by $ .... it adds up to more holidays!

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 23 September 07 1:00 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Which alley is that one Dooghan, the needle in the haystack one, or the repairing torn clothes and skin one??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes Bundy it's what you know, and it's the Geocachers you meet that is the ticket :D

Dooghan

lattejed
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Post by lattejed » 24 September 07 8:10 am

I too was looking for something new, I was a public servant with a half decent job that was paying well but it was time for a change, I didn't want to spend the next 20 years or so applying for promotions and being told I was very suitable but not the best applicant. So after a bit of planning and support of my family and at 45yo, I started at the Police College in April this year. Twenty weeks later I graduated with 16 of my classmates and we are all out on the streets as brand new coppers. This is our second week out there now and everyone is having a great time. I am not saying it for everyone, far from it, but agree with earlier posts, with some planning and lots of support, significant changes can be made. I wish you all the best with your decision making process and don't discount any possibilities, all the best.

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 25 September 07 8:00 pm

Dooghan wrote:
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Which alley is that one Dooghan, the needle in the haystack one, or the repairing torn clothes and skin one??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes Bundy it's what you know, and it's the Geocachers you meet that is the ticket :D

Dooghan
Thats what I'm hoping for. I have been told many times that only about 20% of jobs available are advertised publicly. Which is why I started this thread to see if anyone out there knows of any job that might be worth applying for.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 25 September 07 8:03 pm

OT, there's a low pay job as forum moderator now open, hours are good and you get a free account here at GCA....

Seriously I hope you find something you like. I know what you are going through.

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » 25 September 07 8:06 pm

swampgecko wrote:OT, there's a low pay job as forum moderator now open, hours are good and you get a free account here at GCA....

Seriously I hope you find something you like. I know what you are going through.
I would love a job as a full time cacher, if only I could find someone willing to pay me for it :lol:

xusia
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by xusia » 26 September 07 10:08 pm

Reading these posts was amazing! I worked for 9 yrs for a major telecommunications company - no names - but it started with "t" and ended with "elstra". Hated about 8.5 years of it. During my time I changed from an electronics technician to a computer guru. Then when the time came to either (a) quit or (b)<Ding>my boss I chose (a) because it involved not going to jail.

then the fun really started. I was unemployed for 3 months (a great holiday) then the money ran out. I got a job with the local abbatoir for 8 months while between computer jobs. I got FIT!! Dropped 15 kg and couldn't be stopped! It was hard work. Then I landed a computer job again. It was the same money as the abbatoir job (which was labouring in the loadout, or where they load the meat into the trucks), but I had to use my brain again and was abused by customers anywhere up to 8 times a day. The money I was on was two thirds what the big telco had been paying me. I thought: "hmm".

Then the bad computer job led me into my current employment with a state govt department. I realised that the only way my particular skills would work financially was being employed by the govt. So I went back. The BS is still there, but the dept of govt I work for is very low tolerance when it comes to BS. Also, I learnd to live with it. Also I am mortgaged up to my eyeballs and acquired a family during that difficult transition period. So I am locked in. However the job is good. I am also a member of the local Fire Brigade - which is a paid job too - it means more to me than my full time job but pays a bucketload less :-(

So Now I am happy with my job for the social aspects, but the actual work is not mentally taxing. Still it pays so I continue. I don't think I could find work doing anything else.

Good Luck Ranger1 - I hope you find the job you're looking for.

Xusia.

<Moderated>