magnets for eclipse tins

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Osluxa

magnets for eclipse tins

Post by Osluxa » 23 August 07 10:32 pm

Hi, I'm working on a series of over 40 caches - All will be eclipse tins.
To help me with placement I thought it would be benificial to have a magnet attached to each.
What would be the best (cheap) type of magnet to use on these eclipse tins.
My guess is those 'advertising fridge magnets' from pizza shops etc. glued to the outside of the tin. Any other ideas?
Thanks

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 24 August 07 1:48 am

Sounds like revenge of the LPC?

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 24 August 07 1:53 am

You can buy sheets of the magnet material, bear in mind that some of them are fairly weak and won't really hold the container all that well. Hard drive magnets are good but may be a tad on the large size unless you can get some notebook drives. You can also buy bulk packs of small magnets online which may suit your needs.

If you do happen to go with hard drive magnets, make sure you recycle the rest of the drive. 10-20 hard drives would likely contain a decent amount of toxic metals.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 24 August 07 9:32 am

I got some magnets from the Art Store - they had packets of disc-shped magnets in 2 sizes, approx 10cent piece size and 20 cent size. They were only a few bucks (I don't recall exactly how much). They aren't terribly strong, but should do the job stuck to the outside of an eclipse tin.

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 24 August 07 11:24 am

Check out this place:

http://www.frenergy.com.au/index.php?ac ... at&catId=2

I am in no way associated with this company...just a very happy customer.

For those of you that have found a few of my micros...you'll be able to vouch for the strength of these magnets.

I generally go for the small disc. Whilst not as strong as a hdd magnet they certainly do the job.

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 24 August 07 11:42 am

WinGasp

These look great, What model's do you use for your caches, Looking at them Its hard to work out the strengths.

Is this a good option ?

Disc 12mm dia. x 2mm height
Neodymium Disc Magnets Diameter: 12mm (0.472" in.) Height: 2mm (0.078" in.) Sales Price: $AU 0.48 Grade: N42

Luck Dogs Crew

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 24 August 07 12:47 pm

Using their Magnetic Force Calculator (bottom right menu), will yield a pull strength of around 1.4kg.....sounds about right. :P

I would also recommend this company (they have an ebay section if you wish to head down that path), as well as being located in Brisbane (ormeau).

I suggest that all eclipse tins be held in place with this magnet ==> Eclipse tin holder - slightly oversize though :roll:
luckdogscrew wrote:WinGasp

mm

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 24 August 07 1:13 pm

I have used the Hard drive magnets. I got some from my local computer store already removed from the drives. If your careful you can remove the magnets from the mounting bracket using a sharp object (I used a chisel) But be very carefull not to stab yourself. Place the magent inside the tin and there it stays.
Have fun but if you want to consider larger caches then pleas do so. I am a little tired of finding micros!
Regards
Crisp Image

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 24 August 07 1:15 pm

Facitman posted this Victorian supplier in another thread a while back -
<P><a href="http://www.aussiemagnets.com.au/contact.html">Aussie Magnets</a> in Camberwell, Vic

Wingaap

Post by Wingaap » 24 August 07 1:47 pm

luckdogscrew wrote:WinGasp

These look great, What model's do you use for your caches, Looking at them Its hard to work out the strengths.

Is this a good option ?

Disc 12mm dia. x 2mm height
Neodymium Disc Magnets Diameter: 12mm (0.472" in.) Height: 2mm (0.078" in.) Sales Price: $AU 0.48 Grade: N42

Luck Dogs Crew
I use either the 12mm x2mm or the 10mm x 2mm.

If in doubt...use two magnets on the one container.

If I'm using the magnets with a plastic container I stick the magnets on the inside of the lid. This ensures that the magnets cannot be detached due to the 'glue' letting go.

Speaking of glue...I generally use an epoxy of some type. Any thoughts/recommendation on this (the glue)?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 24 August 07 3:13 pm

Wingaap wrote:
luckdogscrew wrote: Speaking of glue...I generally use an epoxy of some type. Any thoughts/recommendation on this (the glue)?
Superglue (cyanoacrylate) is stronger than epoxy for smooth surfaces, but plastic boxes are just tough things to glue to, due to their waxiness.

I've had too many seemingly-solid glued joints come apart with a bit of flexing or impact and I try to back it up with a mechanical connection wherever possible. Screws, cable ties, even duct tape wrapped right around an object, just make it feel more secure.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 24 August 07 6:35 pm

If you use a hard drive magnet you can just slide it inside the tin and the magnetic field extends well out the side of the tin so no glue required :) . I recomend removing the backing by sweeping magnet off the plate sideways before removing it from the drive.

Osluxa

Re Magnets -thanks to all

Post by Osluxa » 24 August 07 10:08 pm

You guys love ya magnets.
Thanks for all the advice
I just so happens I went into the 'Dollars & Sense' shop at Brookside (QLD) today and found a pack of 20 assorted magnets For $2.95.
Not super strong but better then that flexible magneting sheeting. and I feel will do the job quite nicely.
Thanks again for all the feedback - quite an education.
PS: If in Brisbane keep an eye out for my cache series/game (40 caches) to be released simultaneously in probably a litttle over a months time.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 24 August 07 10:59 pm

Great, just what we all need......another 40 eclipse tins out there in the wild :roll: :wink:

mm