Caching in the UK

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
unbreakables
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Caching in the UK

Post by unbreakables » 16 August 07 7:42 pm

Heading over there in 3 weeks any tips???????????

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 16 August 07 8:12 pm

Take Hand held GPSr not The Hilux :lol: :oops:

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 16 August 07 8:34 pm

Biggest tip?
Learn to identify stinging nettles, and watch out for them when sticking your hand in bushes!!

We only found a couple of caches in the UK (we were very new to the game at the time), but I suspect its very similar to over here.

Except for the stinging nettles.

Teliko21

Post by Teliko21 » 16 August 07 9:39 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Biggest tip?
Learn to identify stinging nettles, and watch out for them when sticking your hand in bushes!!

We only found a couple of caches in the UK (we were very new to the game at the time), but I suspect its very similar to over here.

Except for the stinging nettles.
You should also learn to identify 'Doc' leaves then as they work brilliantly against stinging nettles. :D My parent's garden in the Uk was often stripped of these by the end of the summer holidays, they are a very useful thing to have around :D

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 August 07 10:18 pm

What's your itinerary? I just got back and might be able to offer a few pointers.

unbreakables
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by unbreakables » 16 August 07 10:32 pm

arrive london hire car straight to dublin watch road (bike) racing at skerries (north of dublin) drink guiness, tour south west then north for a mates wedding in armagh city accross to scotland then back down towards london for a few days and home 20 something days of madness??

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 17 August 07 10:00 am

I am going to break in to unbreakables discussion here to add that I will be on the way to the UK and France in about 4 weeks time and have a question about mapping. I use Mapsource and Shonky for my mapping here on the GPSr; are there maps that you can get for free to use in the UK for the GPSr?

Also I know about the Doc leaves and they do work. I have been there many times as my in-laws live there. Also be careful of the gorse.

And if anyone has a TB or coin that needs a free and easy trip to the UK or France, I will have a small space in the case to carry some. I won't be in London tho and you will have to get them to me somehow in Brisbane. Contact me if desperate.

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by LazyLeopard » 18 August 07 7:55 am

If the weather stays the way it's been recently, you'll need a brolly! Dunno where the summer went. It sure didn't come here!

Yeah, brambles and nettles are something of a caching hazard, and at this time of year some places are a bit overgrown with bracken. There should be plenty of caches to hunt. You may want a way to get at the Net to find out what's in your immediate area. Long gone are the days you could get all the UK caches into the GPSr at the same time. ;)

Have a good holiday.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found

Re: Caching in the UK

Post by president & 1st lady » 18 August 07 8:18 am

unbreakables wrote:Heading over there in 3 weeks any tips???????????
Yes, look out for us. And if you want to meet Jeremy go to a certain event in London.

1st lady

president & 1st lady

Post by president & 1st lady » 18 August 07 8:23 am

Sunshine Toledo wrote:I am going to break in to unbreakables discussion here to add that I will be on the way to the UK and France in about 4 weeks time and have a question about mapping. I use Mapsource and Shonky for my mapping here on the GPSr; are there maps that you can get for free to use in the UK for the GPSr?

Also I know about the Doc leaves and they do work. I have been there many times as my in-laws live there. Also be careful of the gorse.

And if anyone has a TB or coin that needs a free and easy trip to the UK or France, I will have a small space in the case to carry some. I won't be in London tho and you will have to get them to me somehow in Brisbane. Contact me if desperate.
We purchased some memory map cds for use on the laptop. It's very similar to Ozi to use although it doesn't have as many functions. We didn't look at GPS mapping as we don't use that here anyway. Memory map also works on a PDA and the software and maps don't take up anywhere near as much memory as Ozi software and maps :).

The Hancock Clan
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by The Hancock Clan » 25 August 07 2:15 am

Just seen this thread. Mr H has just gone off camping for 2 days, but he is the one who knows all about mapping etc out of the two of us!!! We use memory map and tom tom 6 here and it works well for us and we also have mapping for France if that may help? Will ask the boss to post a reply when he gets back from camping.

President and 1st Lady are you going to the event that Jeremy is attending? Will have to go and check that one out now!!! I know it is possibly a day that Mr H is working?

Maybe somebody your side might be able to help us. We are just about to look at buying some techy mapping stuff for when we arrive in Sydney. Any advice would be gladly welcomed.

Cached

Post by Cached » 25 August 07 9:02 am

Pres & 1st are travelling now.

Yes, the event they're going to is the one Jeremy will be attending - if only my racer balloon could have gone with them!

Can I add that a side trip from London out to Geocaching Mecca, to the Prime Meridian E/W 0 00.000, is very fulfilling.

Catchya

Sam

unbreakables
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by unbreakables » 25 August 07 4:12 pm

The Hancock Clan wrote:Just seen this thread. Mr H has just gone off camping for 2 days, but he is the one who knows all about mapping etc out of the two of us!!! We use memory map and tom tom 6 here and it works well for us and we also have mapping for France if that may help? Will ask the boss to post a reply when he gets back from camping.

President and 1st Lady are you going to the event that Jeremy is attending? Will have to go and check that one out now!!! I know it is possibly a day that Mr H is working?

Maybe somebody your side might be able to help us. We are just about to look at buying some techy mapping stuff for when we arrive in Sydney. Any advice would be gladly welcomed.
Would be greatful for the advice, we may be able to do a trade as we have Ozi and all the maps you need for here, and are chasing similar for over there.
We will be there in 3 weeks today, pretty rushed trip but I intend to slot a few caches in whilst there.
Any great ones we should do whilst there???

Cheers.

president & 1st lady

Post by president & 1st lady » 02 October 07 11:31 am

The Hancock Clan wrote:Just seen this thread. Mr H has just gone off camping for 2 days, but he is the one who knows all about mapping etc out of the two of us!!! We use memory map and tom tom 6 here and it works well for us and we also have mapping for France if that may help? Will ask the boss to post a reply when he gets back from camping.

Sorry guys, just found this thread and didn't see you post until now. We didn't have internet at the time and somehow missed it. Yes, we made it to the event with Sir Groundspeak. It was a huge night, most likely because of the 'special guest'. We have almost left the UK, 3 days left in Belfast then on to the USA.

As for the tips, there isn't a lot different about caching in the UK to caching in Australia. There are a few weird series' in London that are multi/mystery/virtuals but they are really well planned and worth the effort.

The other thing to watch out for, especially in London, is the chance to log Spotto. We met four other groups caching, two groups from England, a couple from Switzerland and a couple from Romania.

We encountered stinging nettles a couple of times, but its the blackberry bushes that seem to be out to get us.

Memory map was fantastic! Definitely worth the money, although the sync cable for the PDA died before we got the opportunity to set it all up properly so we've didn't get to use the PDA maps. :(

A lot of caches are micros, even in places where you could clearly hide something bigger which is really starting to nark us. All the caches we have found have been in places that are of interest so are worth visiting.

1st lady