nocturnal cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
foxbat

nocturnal cachers

Post by foxbat » 15 August 07 2:34 pm

Well I finally saw some! What a thrill to see these elusive creatures in the wild doing their thing, little lights flitting about in the bushes.

I was walking the dog late last night and spotted them looking for Mawson Lookout. (an elusive cache in itself during daylight!).

So I was wondering how many of you do the night thing? Anyone just do it at night exclusively?

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 15 August 07 3:54 pm

I know of at least 6 active night cachers in the Brisbane area, and there are probably more, especially during the summer months. There's something special about having the world to yourself, and as I am into astronomy, I'm quite comfortable in the dark.

At least 30% of my finds were at night, many of those after midnight. I tend to stay away from urban caches though, especially in neighbourhoods with dogs. Oddly I have a lower DNF rate at night.

I've been developing a night only series for the past 6 months, the first cache of which should be going public soon. I am hoping it will have been worth the effort, and encourage a few cachers to experience something different. Hopefully also it will draw on my lessons learned from previous cache placements about mistakes for me not to make, such as coordinates out by 150m due to typing errors, as PAF calls at 3:00am would be frowned on.

More night caching I say!

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 15 August 07 4:23 pm

Mostly I stop for a cache on the way home after finishing work at midnight. Not so much day caching, too difficult to properly look with a 3 year old in tow. :D

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Re: nocturnal cachers

Post by calumphing_four » 15 August 07 4:45 pm

foxbat wrote:I was walking the dog late last night and spotted them looking for Mawson Lookout. (an elusive cache in itself during daylight!).
... and they didn't find it, nor log a DNF :P :lol:

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 15 August 07 9:42 pm

fehrgo wrote:I know of at least 6 active night cachers in the Brisbane area, and there are probably more, especially during the summer months.
At least 30% of my finds were at night, many of those after midnight.

I've been developing a night only series for the past 6 months, the first cache of which should be going public soon.
More night caching I say!

I wonder who you refer too?? :P

I reckon that I have meet you at 28 % of those night ones. :shock:

Can't wait till the night ones come out. How many sleeps to go ?? ( no PJ jokes you lot up here )

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 August 07 10:05 pm

We used to do more night caching in NZ (Hell, we used to do more cache finding there, day or night) and generally enjoyed it.

Some caches are easier to find at night, especially the ones under the Kiwi equivalent of grass trees (usually known as toetoe, although I'm told that's probably not what they are)
Plastic shows up well under bright light and it's only shiny leaves that confuse things.

I have a million candle-power searchlight (called The Illuminator, in an Arnie accent) that's also useful for finding plastic boxes. When the vegetation is turning brown and crispy in its beam, the smell of melting PVC means you just have to follow your nose to the cache!

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 16 August 07 5:55 pm

Sounds a bit like skippy, parrot, freddo, and mabye some shonkylogic out doing their usual night caching

I've not really done much night caching, though if i do, its usually for a FTF, not so much a night spent caching (though it would be good to do it sometime)

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 16 August 07 10:48 pm

I've been known to launch a FTF mission at 3.30am. I've also been known to launch a 24 hr record run at about 12.10am. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 26 August 07 8:46 pm

Tuesday night caching. Take several torches, lots of tom tom, a couple of gpsr's and a sense of fun. :D :D :D :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 August 07 9:00 pm

Done a little bit but it's not really my thing - I tend to get too frustrated not finding the things at night. Unless it is a local FTF I usually won't bother. I'm better at daytime finds.

Nights are usually busy anyway, well they were when I lived with a girlfriend. Now they are calling one who is too far away!

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 26 August 07 9:03 pm

We really should get out and do more night caching. The biggest problem we find is looking even dodgier poking about at night than you do in the daytime.

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 26 August 07 9:44 pm

I've been known to do a bit of night caching on local caches.
Really only on FTF hunts, sometimes you look more obvious to muggles while searching at night than you do during the day. I must give off a vibe of being "Up to no good"
The only other times I'll cache at night are to go out and retrieve one that is get a cache that you may let slip during the day because of proximity of muggles.
It's all great night-time fun (some may have other thoughts of noctunal activities.... mind out of the gutter peoples) haven't been caught out by authorities yet, but have had a few cars slow down and had to give a quick tutorial on Geocaching for a nearby land-owner once

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 27 August 07 12:49 pm

Freddo wrote:Tuesday night caching. Take several torches, lots of tom tom, a couple of gpsr's and a sense of fun. :D :D :D :D
....and this Tuesday night you have a luner eclipse as well

SA_ParrotHead
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by SA_ParrotHead » 30 August 07 2:16 pm

It was a great night out under a blood moon although lots more muggles than we are used to. 8)
Norwood last week, Gawler this week, West Lakes next week.
Dinner and a night out caching with great company is this a wonderful game or what.