Needles - Should we stop garden bed hides?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Needles - Should we stop garden bed hides?

Post by luckdogscrew » 14 August 07 10:03 am

While caching on the weekend, we where doing a cache in the outer suburbs of melbourne and came across a very disturbing find.

We arrived at the cache site, and searched all the possible non garden bed sites with no success, we then started to search the garden bed. After about 1min we come across the first discarded needle, about 30 sec's later a second was found. After this we stopped searching as we thought that it was too unsafe. Since then the cache has been archived and removed (Which we thank the cache owner for a quick and good decision to do this).

So the questions is should we stop hiding caches in Garden Beds or other sites that may present a needle danger?

In our 400 caches I think we probably have found less than 5 such cache hides so there are not many out there, I would also suggest that caches hidden in garden beds tend to damage the garden bed as well.

Also sometimes maybe a statement like "Its not in the garden bed" is appropriate in the cache note too

What do people think?

Luck Dogs Crew

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Needles - Should we stop garden bed hides?

Post by ian-and-penny » 14 August 07 11:17 am

luckdogscrew wrote:So the questions is should we stop hiding caches in Garden Beds or other sites that may present a needle danger?
Any site may present a needle danger, along with snakebite, spider bite, tetanus, sprained ankle, etc.

IMHO if the cache was/is placed responsibly in the first place, then it is the seeker who should take care.

I see no reason to stop hiding caches anywhere just in case some idiot may throw their sharps in there later.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 August 07 11:37 am

Which cache?

It may be an indication of a generally unsuitable area to start with or an area that was fine that has now become less than suitable for caching.

Geodes

Re: Needles - Should we stop garden bed hides?

Post by Geodes » 14 August 07 12:41 pm

luckdogscrew wrote: In our 400 caches I think we probably have found less than 5 such cache hides so there are not many out there
<P>I take it you haven't visited the Happy Caching Grounds of Berwick/Narre-Warren yet :lol:
<P>I once found a needle when retrieving a cache from a cypress tree - so they're not just restricted to garden beds.

RedPaw64
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by RedPaw64 » 14 August 07 12:51 pm

Near one of my caches a sharp was found by someone searching for the cache and these days any site is prone to the possibility of such dangers. May not be there when the cache is first planted, so the cacher has to take the appropiate steps to ensure his own safety when searching, ie: Heavey duty garden gloves, a small first aid kit containing antiseptic and bandages at a minimum.

If I see a sharp that is a danger to other cachers, I remove it carefully and dispose of it in the sharps bin at the nearest toilet block, should I be in the vicinity of one.

Happy Caching

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 14 August 07 12:52 pm

Part of the problem is that cache-placers are often looking for places that are out of the direct public gaze to make searching less conspicuous.

IV drug users are looking for the same places...

I don't like garden bed hides, personally, because of the potential for damage and the potential ill-feeling from local councils whose gardeners find this plastic box at the epicentre of the devastation!

RedPaw64

Post by RedPaw64 » 14 August 07 1:13 pm

Yes must admit, there is a certain amount of destruction that happens by cachers searching through garden beds. I moved one of my caches due to that reason and that was the cache where a sharp was found.

While most cachers are careful not to damage any foliage, continual moving of plants etc to check under them causes harm.

I tend to try to stay away from garden beds now but if i have no other area I will find a position where there is rocks and very little foilage to damage. And if you do decide to use a garen bed in a council area let them know and they may even guide you as the best place to put it, where damage will not happen.

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 14 August 07 1:26 pm

The Cache was Click Click ... Dont Walk.

Not in a spot that is usually associated with Drug Users. and in a fairly open area, But I think it was hidden in a garden bed amongst Rubbish and Garden Litter.

The issue I have with garden bed hides is that you end up having to dig your hands through the leave litter (or rubbish) and no garden gloves will protect you from an exposed needle, Nor will Anteseptic and bandages help you after the event.

I agree snake bite is another option, but you generally have a good idea of a possible snake hiding spot, We have had to move one of our cache's that suffered cache creap into a possible snake hole, to make it safer.

Maybe outlaw is too strong, lets say self regulate to place better caches. I agree and fully support Caught At Works less Micro's idea (We are still trying to get our ammo cache out there), But in some area's I think a cleaver Micro (Or even a 200ml sistema, which you can get into a lot of clever spots) is a better option.

As always its up to cache owners to make there cache safe (I must say that the cache owner in this case "Emma" has done exactly this and removed the cache Hopefully it will reappear soon, there was a nice bridge just near by calling for a cache?)

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 August 07 1:35 pm

I'd like to see a banner we could place onto our cache listings saying something like "Cache hidden responsibly - keep out of the garden" so that people know not to look in the garden bed.

Just because it's not actually hidden in the garden, people will still look there.

Geof

Post by Geof » 14 August 07 2:26 pm

The Cache was Click Click ... Dont Walk.
Seems that is a bad area for that problem. I found one wile searching for a adjacent cache by the same hider + some when doing cleanup australia in the area some years back :( .

If in doubt use a stick :wink: and yes avoid the garden bed if hiding. :wink:

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 14 August 07 3:25 pm

Unfortunately we get a lot of needles around our area (Spotswood/Altona North) and have certainly come across them while cache hunting close to home. As such our cache hides are predominantly in country areas.

I can't imagine that anyone would place a cache in an area that they find needles, but usually we find these things later on.

I figure if it's going to be in a compromising place, put a good clue in. That should at least minimise the damage to the area and possible injury if things like needles occur in the area.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 14 August 07 4:33 pm

There are a lot of good places around here that I would consider suitable for hiding a cache but chosen not to for that fact. Many I have used like that are involved in puzzle caches where they have to go and collect a number or clue.

It is a worry and generally if there is broken glass around there is high chance there will be pricks too.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 15 August 07 8:04 am

luckdogscrew wrote:The Cache was Click Click ... Dont Walk.

(I must say that the cache owner in this case "Emma" has done exactly this and removed the cache)
I wouldn't be too effusive with the praise for making the cache safe. One of the very early DNF logs reported needles in the area, and "Emma" unceremoniously deleted the log, with no explanation!

She may have finally taken action, but at first there was a denial about the problem.

I agree with the general comments about caches that are hidden in garden beds. They call them 'landscape caches' in the US, and they are frowned upon over there too. My objection is the inevitable damage that will ensue, unless there is a very explicit hint. However, I reckon there is always a better place to hide a cache than in a garden bed.

Cheers,

dak

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 15 August 07 11:58 am

Here, Here dak. And up here in SEQld where the drought is really bad; it is almost impossible to walk anywhere without leaving a trail of pushed down grass. And when several cachers use the same track it leaves a very obvious Geotrail. Garden beds should be out unless you can reach the cache from outside the garden, just by leaning in.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 15 August 07 12:18 pm

dak's Emu Mob wrote: She may have finally taken action, but at first there was a denial about the problem.
<P>Emma is actually the 8yr old daughter of the cache hider. Following Eric's log, he disabled the cache and went out and removed several bags of rubbish from the garden bed it was hidden in. I guess he felt the area had now been made safe and he didn't want other finders discouraged so he deleted Eric's log. It may not have been the right thing to do, but he doesn't have a lot of experience and I think his actions stemmed from the right sort of motivations and concern for future finders :wink:
<P>Geez I hate 'em in vegetation too :wink: