How Does It Work?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
anthony.sarah

How Does It Work?

Post by anthony.sarah » 23 July 07 7:27 pm

I often pass caches on my travels (to work, shopping, etc.), however, I generally don't stop as many caches require you to read the description, etc.

I've noticed many of you do stop when you are nearing a cache, how do you go about finding them when all you are armed with is the waypoint in your GPS and no description.

I realise that a PDA would be the ideal solution, however, I am on the lookout for other methods. Does anyone keep a folder with cache descriptions in it?

Looking forward to your replies.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 23 July 07 7:39 pm

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 23 July 07 7:41 pm

used to use a folder with printed cache pages, but too much paper, ink etc..... now use PDA with GSAK, that way you can carry so much more info..

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 23 July 07 7:48 pm

We've just moved toward using a PDA and it doesn't seem to be always ideal! We took it OS and it decided to reset itself. The backup on the SD card didn't work, that is, until I got home :evil:.

Anyhow!

When SNP and I started caching, I maintained a A-Z folder of print-outs of caches near home or in areas that we might visit. It started to get a little fat so I added another folder of caches sorted by areas that are a little out of our way with maps etc. On big caching trips I plan a bit of a route and write an ordered list of caches to find so that the person in the passenger seat doesn't get too flustered trying to find the right information.

Something else that worked while OS (and I have seen other cachers do it) is to keep a notebook of essential information about a cache, like size, difficulty, terrain, hint and last found date.

The problem with paper caching is that it's not up-to-date. I found I still needed to check details like whether the cache had been found recently or not before going out. The other problem with paper caching is that it can be a time consuming task to keep organised (not to mention all that paper!). On the positive side, Freddo appears to find lots of different uses for his cache notes (you can read about it on another thread) :wink:.

If you can tell on your GPSr whether the cache is a traditional or not, then you (in theory) should be able to turn up and look for it, but you won't have the description to possibly guide you where to look.

I'm sure there are lots of suggestions out there, just don't let people turn this into a thread about why PDAs are so good! :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 07 8:33 pm

I have a PDA, but this is not a story of how you should get one.

I kind of know which caches around me (or on the way to work, etc) are traditional caches. ie. The cache is at the listed co-ordinates.

If I happen to be going past and have my GPS, even if I don't have the PDA, I can feel pretty comfortable heading off to find it, hoping I can spot it without reading the cache description or needing a hint.

I rarely use the hint (but I do read them after the find).

Just last weekend (yesterday in fact), I came across a multi cache on my way home from hiding a couple of caches.

I knew from memory what was at GZ and that it was a multi. As soon as I arrived I knew where the cache would be, so without gathering the clues or reading the cache description I found the cache.

After time, you get to know what you're looking at / for based on certain hiders styles. You can grab these without anything except the co-ords.

(But get a cheap PDS, say a Palm Vx from ebay anyway. Very handy to have).

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 23 July 07 8:42 pm

I carry around my Education Department leased laptop. It is bulky, not ideal, but I don't like wasting paper on printouts. I am regularly finding new ways to damage it and will have a lot of explaining to do when I have to return it at the end of its lease!

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 23 July 07 8:48 pm

caughtatwork wrote: (But get a cheap PDS, say a Palm Vx from ebay anyway. Very handy to have).
For more info on a PDS visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDS :lol: :wink:

Knot_gillty

Post by Knot_gillty » 23 July 07 8:53 pm

But on a serious note, at the moment i use print out cache pages. I look at Google Earth before going out on a caching trip to find a route i would like to take and place the print outs in order of closest first.....

I have bought a Palm Vx off ebay but dont have a spare serial port in my pc so im looking for a serial to usb addaptor. Then i will be using that when its all up and running.

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 23 July 07 10:46 pm

Hi anthony.sarah :) For a long time we had what we lovingly called my "NERD FOLDER". :oops: It was a plastic expander file with a handle. I would lovingly print out and then file the cache pages within its covers. I had them organised in areas i.e. direction from home. So; I had a south section, a southeast section, an east section etc. You get my drift. I had a separate section for multis also. :roll: This was great and worked well, but the amount of ink and paper we went through was rediculous! :shock: When away from our printer, I would draw up a table in an exercise book with what I considered 'the essentials' in it - Cache Name, Co-ords, Size, Difficulty and Terrain. We finally upgraded to a pocket PC, but I find we often cache without referring to it at all for a traditional cache. It is handy though! :wink: GOOD LUCK. We live relatively near you guys and would be happy to chat if you wish. :D Phone, I.M. or face to face.